Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping small amounts of luggage

Shipping small amounts of luggage

Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Emmabatten is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Shipping small amounts of luggage

Hi, I'm moving to the States in April to live with my husband (assuming visa works out soon!) and am just wondering the best way to get my stuff over. I'm only planning to move a few boxes (approx 5/6) worth of stuff - does anyone know good skipping companies I can use. I've had a look at a few but it seems that paying for excess baggage on my flights is a similar if not cheaper option (flying with Virgin).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Emma
Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping small amounts of luggage

For small amounts excess baggage is probably your best option.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I've not used it personally but have heard good things: https://www.sendmybag.com/
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Look for "freight forwarders" in your home town - either yellow pages or just Google <freight forwarder [your town]>; look for ones that mention homes/domestic or small shipments, though in truth any would likely work for you.

The forwarder will pick the stuff up from your home, so you don't need to lug it to the airport, and you can either have your stuff delivered to an address in the US or you could pick it up yourself from the agent at the airport in the US, which would be cheaper.

I have used this type of service twice to ship a few of my things, and my father's tools after he died. It was easy and efficient on both occasions, and I would use the same method in future.

Some people have reported using UPS as a cost effective way to ship a few boxes; I think OttotheBoar has recommended using UPS.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a look at a few but it seems that paying for excess baggage on my flights is a similar if not cheaper option
If you have a connecting flight after you arrive in the US remember you have to claim your bags and clear customs at your initial arrival point before you can re-check your bags to your final destination. This can be cumbersome if you have several bags
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Emmabatten is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone - really helpful and will certainly look into those options.

Good point about connections and lugging baggage around, hadn't thought of that!