IRS

Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of
Default IRS

Can anyone offer me a little advice - I am a dual citizen, Brit and US living in the US.
My question relates to my financial income and taxes. I am aged 70 and have been retired a number of years.
I currently receive my retirement pension which amounts to just over $800 per month plus around $500 from a private pension all after tax deducted from source in the U.K.
In addition to this I receive a widowers Social security payment of $300 here in the US which is taxed in the US.
The $300 is almost taken up with my Medicare and prescription payments are deducted from source here in the US.
My question is - Would I benefit financially if I opted out of the UK tax system and declared my UK pension on my US tax returns ? or would I be better sticking to how I am currently ?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by PetW; Jan 14th 2017 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS

You are legally required to declare all your world wide income on your US tax return, even if you pay tax on it in elsewhere.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live, which country?

Are either of your British pensions connected to government employment?

If you live in the US the general principle is that you should only be paying tax in the US, in other words, your British pensions should be paid gross.
Originally Posted by lansbury
You are legally required to declare all your world wide income on your US tax return, even if you pay tax on it in elsewhere.
This too!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

PetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud ofPetW has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where do you live, which country?

Are either of your British pensions connected to government employment?

If you live in the US the general principle is that you should only be paying tax in the US, in other words, your British pensions should be paid gross.

This too!
Thank you for your replies. My pensions are not related to government employment.
I live in the US and I have declared my UK income on my US tax returns. I just noted that the tax had been deducted from source in the UK and the amounts were Net amounts received.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I do declare my UK income on my US tax returns
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetW
Thank you for your replies. My pensions are not related to government employment.
I live in the US and I have declared my UK income on my US tax returns. I just noted that the tax had been deducted from source in the UK and the amounts were Net amounts received.
OK, so you need to tell your pension providers that you are not resident in the UK for tax purposes. How much the net benefit will be, after paying taxes in the US, depends on your exact circumstances in the US.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you and appreciated.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You need to complete these forms and send them to the IRS. They will forward the information to HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...idual_2002.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ation-requests
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:00 pm

Thank you and appreciated.
You're welcome.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:02 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding but this

Would I benefit financially if I opted out of the UK tax system and declared my UK pension on my US tax returns ?
implied you were not declaring the UK income.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:24 pm

I do declare my UK income on my US tax returns
So were you also paying tax in the US on your net UK pensions? Did you claim a credit for tax paid in the UK?

If you paid US taxes on your net pensions and didn't take a credit for UK taxes paid, then you will need to refile as many years of tax returns in the US as you have been doing this/ are allowed by the IRS (whichever is lesser), as you will have overpaid taxes.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks, yes this has been the case. So I will get onto this and have it sorted out.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So were you also paying tax in the US on your net UK pensions? Did you claim a credit for tax paid in the UK?

If you paid US taxes on your net pensions and didn't take a credit for UK taxes paid, then you will need to refile as many years of tax returns in the US as you have been doing this/ are allowed by the IRS (whichever is lesser), as you will have overpaid taxes.
If I recall the IRS has limits to how many years you can re-file if you want to receive a refund , but no limit if re-filing would result in additional taxes !
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

If you have paid too much UK tax, you will need to reclaim the tax overpaid from HMRC. Hopefully, you've filed your FBARs...
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cook_County
If you have paid too much UK tax, you will need to reclaim the tax overpaid from HMRC. Hopefully, you've filed your FBARs...
Thank you all, your advice greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.