Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping PC from UK To US

Shipping PC from UK To US

Old Sep 13th 2019, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

ParagonGreeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping PC from UK To US

I have my Interview in just a few weeks and im looking at how much the final move will cost. i have a gaming PC that i would like to ship along with the accessories, monitor, keyboard and mouse etc. and probably a few other small items in, no furniture at all. i will buy a new desk and chair when i am over there. the PC is around 60cm length, 50cm height and 25cm width plus need a little extra space for the monitor and other bits as i said. hard for me to get the weight of whats needed right now.

My first thought was to buy a wooden crate and ship with UPS but just wanted advice.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping PC from UK To US

Why not just sell the components on eBay (minus your SSDs) and buy a new PC when you get here?

It would be a good opportunity to upgrade, versus the time and expense of shipping it.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I put mine in hold luggage wrapped in bubble wrap and paid £50 for the extra suitcase!!
Old Sep 13th 2019, 5:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Why not just sell the components on eBay (minus your SSDs) and buy a new PC when you get here?

It would be a good opportunity to upgrade, versus the time and expense of shipping it.
My son built his using components from Fry's electronics... he had a load of fun doing it and it was way cheaper than buying a readymade one.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 6:20 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember to flip the little switch in the PSU.. although UK to US probably won’t be as bad...many years ago my company sent 3 PC’s from US to UK.... was set to 110v and PSU blew each time we plugged it in to 220v, took “blowing up” 2 to figure it out..
Old Sep 13th 2019, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Just remember to flip the little switch in the PSU.. although UK to US probably won’t be as bad...many years ago my company sent 3 PC’s from US to UK.... was set to 110v and PSU blew each time we plugged it in to 220v, took “blowing up” 2 to figure it out..
Thankfully most modern PCs will autoswitch - but its worth checking.....
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

oh thats good to know thank you, i did wonder about the power but hadn't looked into it yet.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Mine is one i have built. it's very rewarding when you build your own PC
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

When we moved from Scotland to Ohio in 2016, we went out before the H1B started to look at apartments etc, and on that trip, Mrs P and I took three suitcases each - i took my entire PC in one, and the 27" monitor in another. However, last month, when we moved back to Scotland, I didn;t want to go down that route, so I got rid of the case and sold my monitor, then took the motherboard (mini ITX with CPU and ram in it), the GPU (too expensive to easily replace), the hdd & ssd, the PSU, and the heatsink/fans and wrapped them individually in bubble wrap and put them in various suitcases. Then I just bought a new monitor, case, and UK keyboard when we got back home.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:58 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, just take a couple of reusable parts,
motherboard, GPU and hard drives, if Up to date.
if not then sell it and buy newer updated version.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
When we moved from Scotland to Ohio in 2016, we went out before the H1B started to look at apartments etc, and on that trip, Mrs P and I took three suitcases each - i took my entire PC in one, and the 27" monitor in another. However, last month, when we moved back to Scotland, I didn;t want to go down that route, so I got rid of the case and sold my monitor, then took the motherboard (mini ITX with CPU and ram in it), the GPU (too expensive to easily replace), the hdd & ssd, the PSU, and the heatsink/fans and wrapped them individually in bubble wrap and put them in various suitcases. Then I just bought a new monitor, case, and UK keyboard when we got back home.
This is what I did on the move over. Case and PSU repurchased. It's a pretty small package without those two bits.

If you still have your motherboard box, you can do a cutout for your heatsink and then that gives you some pretty good well formed protection for the core components.

REMEMBER anti static bags - do not just wrap the naked parts in bubble wrap as you have a high chance of having some static electricity involved and wrecking everything.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Try https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

I've used them a few times to ship some gearboxes out there (a lot heaver than a PC) and it came to about $500. It's based primarily on weight as they are air freighted so a PC setup would be a fraction of that. Door to door (midwest) was about 4 days.