Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Originally Posted by zennow
Yes, I meant that the dog was put in the hold.

My dog is medium size, but the airline told me that if the pet was under 8 pounds and I can carry her in the cabin with me, in her carrier.
I don't know where you have your information about this not being possible on transatlantic flights, but I flew back to the U.S 6 months ago from Vienna, and there was a passenger on board with a small dog. It was a tiny little thing, I think a yorkie or something. Anyway, the passenger held the carrier the whole flight.
learn something new every day !! I stand corrected
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:59 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Put it down and have it stuffed .....
can go in you case no problem then ...
In the same spirit of humour, would you mind, terribly, if we came to your house and killed you?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I meant that the dog was put in the hold.

My dog is medium size, but the airline told me that if the pet was under 8 pounds and I can carry her in the cabin with me, in her carrier.
I don't know where you have your information about this not being possible on transatlantic flights, but I flew back to the U.S 6 months ago from Vienna, and there was a passenger on board with a small dog. It was a tiny little thing, I think a yorkie or something. Anyway, the passenger held the carrier the whole flight.

Pets up to 10 lbs can be transported in the cabin with some airlines into and out of some countries...European countries included...however the UK is not one of them. There are strict rules laid down by DEFRA and all pets must be in the hold of the plane...including what routes and airlines can be used.

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That might be possible, if it was a small puppy. I've been looking into this for our kitten. You've got two options out of London - United will allow pets in cabin (but only in coach) and Delta will allow pets up front Costs an extra $150 or so, but you get to have your baby travel with you.
I've never heard of this before. Have you checked with the airport? An American airline may allow it but I doubt the airport will allow you to take your pet.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 11th 2009 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In the same spirit of humour, would you mind, terribly, if we came to your house and killed you?
Hell no ... it would be a mercy killing...
And when you stuff me ..make my legs a little longer
always wanted to be taller...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We shipped our boxer from SFO to LHR (and back again a while later) and did it ourselves.
Once we got over the shock of what kilometric volume meant!
Was not cheap.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Hell no ... it would be a mercy killing...
And when you stuff me ..make my legs a little longer
always wanted to be taller...
Stuffing? You're not soliciting a spot of buggery, are you?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Stuffing? You're not soliciting a spot of buggery, are you?
Its Sunday .... of course not
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never heard of this before. Have you checked with the airport? An American airline may allow it but I doubt the airport will allow you to take your pet.
That's the worry. The airline say it's all OK, but, like you, I'm a bit worried about what excuses for a bribe the Hindu Mafia at Heathrow might come up with...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Its Sunday .... of course not
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

zennow is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the worry. The airline say it's all OK, but, like you, I'm a bit worried about what excuses for a bribe the Hindu Mafia at Heathrow might come up with...
Call the airport ahead of time where you and the pet will be landing and ask about their policies. That is what I did as well and spoke to an airport official (veterinarian), they should have their own offices at most airports as flying pets in not that uncommon. The veterinarian let me know what documents I needed for their specific country and everything else i needed to be able to pass through customs.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind the pun...I don't think you have a cat in hells chance...all animals have to go in the hold when arriving or departing the UK.

Call the airport ahead of time where you and the pet will be landing and ask about their policies. That is what I did as well and spoke to an airport official (veterinarian), they should have their own offices at most airports as flying pets in not that uncommon. The veterinarian let me know what documents I needed for their specific country and everything else i needed to be able to pass through customs.

That's not what he was asking...he was asking if he could take his pet in the cabin when leaving the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take this as being mean because I'm both a dog and a cat lover but I really would rather not have to be seated next to someone with a small animal perched on their lap for the amount of time spent on a transatlantic flight. The smell of dog/cat pee or poop under my nose for 10 hours would not go down very well
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Don't take this as being mean because I'm both a dog and a cat lover but I really would rather not have to be seated next to someone with a small animal perched on their lap for the amount of time spent on a transatlantic flight. The smell of dog/cat pee or poop under my nose for 10 hours would not go down very well
The pet has to be small enough to stand and turn in a dog carrier which will fit under the seat in front...therefore is has to be a very small animal. The pet is not allowed to be removed from the carrier whilst on the plane.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The pet has to be small enough to stand and turn in a dog carrier which will fit under the seat in front...therefore is has to be a very small animal. The pet is not allowed to be removed from the carrier whilst on the plane.

....but if I took my shoes off it might nibble on my toes
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
....but if I took my shoes off it might nibble on my toes
You'd like that wouldn't you? pervert

It would be in the carrier so it couldn't nibble anything outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.