Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Katyonice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Hi there
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with shipping large dogs to the USA from the UK. We expect to be able to make the big move in the end of Feb. but are now looking at how we will ship my Doberman. Also has anyone used AirPets UK? They have given us a very reasonable quote. I really would like to here others experiences. I have checked on the pets side of the forum but all those are shipping dogs to Australia it seems.
Any relevant info would be appreciated.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping the Dog to the USA from UK

Originally Posted by Katyonice
Hi there
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with shipping large dogs to the USA from the UK. We expect to be able to make the big move in the end of Feb. but are now looking at how we will ship my Doberman. Also has anyone used AirPets UK? They have given us a very reasonable quote. I really would like to here others experiences. I have checked on the pets side of the forum but all those are shipping dogs to Australia it seems.
I can't answer your questions, I wanted to mention a few things you may/may not be aware of. I don't know what your living arrangements will be, but wanted to let you know that having a Doberman could pose some obstacles to you. If you're renting, some apartments won't allow large dogs, and in some cities, certain breeds are illegal. If you are buying a home, be aware that home owner's insurance will sometimes not cover you if you have certain breeds of dogs. While I love Dobbies, they are sometimes viewed in the same bad way as pit bulls, and having a dobbie could cause you some issues down the line.

EDIT: Do a search on the USA forum. There have been several people in the past asking the same questions as you.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 8th 2008 at 2:43 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.. I brought my medium size dog over - from Heathrow to LAX. I used Virgin. Heathrow end were fabulous.. I had called Virgin about a month before we flew out and they were really helpful and sent me all the relevant paperwork. The 'depot' at Heathrow were excellent - the other end was fairly traumatic.. lots of paperwork and waiting around. Make sure you contact the correct Animal Agencies wherever you are going to be living. Your dog will need Rabies Jabs - and i discovered that the ones i got for my Dog were not 'recognised' by the city where I live. They expect a certain batch/serial number.

I would also echo what the last poster has said about rental properties (if that is the route you are taking) - it can make it alot harder to find somewhere when you have a dog.. especially with a bigger dog.

There are other threads from the past about bringing pets here.. if I get the time later i'll have a search for them..

In the meantime - best of luck with your impending move!!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
I see you already own a house in Fla. Check what type of rabies vaccine Fla requires...some states require a live vaccine others don't.

Another thing to consider is many airlines won't fly pets during the hot summer months...so Feb would probably be a good time to choose.

Relevant threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...dogs+to+the+US

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 8th 2008 at 3:24 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I see you already own a house in Fla. Check what type of rabies vaccine Fla requires...some states require a live vaccine others don't.

Another thing to consider is many airlines won't fly pets during the hot summer months...so Feb would probably be a good time to choose.

Relevant threads:

with all those threads, I'm surprised there isn't a wiki article about doing it...there's a brief one on the ME section, which isn't relevant for there though...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
As with many things, the US is like 50 different countries - every state is a bit different. When I shipped Suzy to North Carolina in 2001, I couldn't find out anything regarding regulations, etc. In the end, I contacted a vet in the town I was moving to who asked a friend, who asked a friend, etc., and I eventually got a very nice email from a professor in veterinary science at (I think) NC State U. who sent me a load of bumph. From what I recall, she had to be up to date on rabies and a couple of other shots and we had to fill in some paperwork.

Turned out when we got to Charlotte Airport, the customs officials didn't give a hoot, in fact I picked her up out in the baggage area (so she didn't even go through customs).

If you are at all worried about it and you think JetPets is a good deal, it's probably worth using them, just to reduce your stress level in at least one area. Good luck with the move!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Katyonice is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone
I'm lucky as my dog came from the states with me last year so she had the really hard part done already. Importing to the UK was a nightmare :curse: We are very current on all the vacs and have a EU passport that we will be keeping up to date if possible. As I own my house in Fla and had the dog there for a long time before moving to the UK we're good on that too.
I guess my biggest worry is putting her in the hands of strangers for the flight and hope they do as they say.
Again thanks and if anyone has good experience with any particular shippers I'd love to hear about it or terrible experience too!! !!
Kate
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:40 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give the same advice that I've given many times here in the past about importing a dog into the States:

Whatever you do, DO NOT inadvertently stuff extra dog treats you might happen to bring with you to the airport in your carry-on before you get on the plane.

We were given more hassle and stress over doing that very thing than we were about coming through Customs with 2 carry-on bags, 4 large suitcases and 2 HUGE boxes of extra baggage when we repatriated to the States. We were almost fined for it, even, while they didn't even glance at Andie's rabies certificate or any other doggie-related paperwork. For all they knew, she was foaming at the mouth; nope, all they cared about were 2-3 dog treats I had in my carry-on.

This was coming from Chile and pre-9/11, but still... It was ridiculous.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

zennow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
My dog went with me when i went to europe, and the agency that i bought the ticket from listed my pet as luggage. I did have to call and confirm with the airline on my own if there was room for a pet on board.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zennow
My dog went with me when i went to europe, and the agency that i bought the ticket from listed my pet as luggage. I did have to call and confirm with the airline on my own if there was room for a pet on board.
not possible on transatlantic flights.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
not possible on transatlantic flights.
I assumed she meant the dog was checked in as baggage...ie it was put in the hold. Now I'm wondering if she meant in the cabin.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
We used LadyHaye 5 years ago and had a very good experience with them. We shipped our border collie from Gatwick to Seattle. No problems at all.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:56 am
Just Joined

zennow is an unknown quantity at this point

I assumed she meant the dog was checked in as baggage...ie it was put in the hold. Now I'm wondering if she meant in the cabin.
Yes, I meant that the dog was put in the hold.

My dog is medium size, but the airline told me that if the pet was under 8 pounds and I can carry her in the cabin with me, in her carrier.
I don't know where you have your information about this not being possible on transatlantic flights, but I flew back to the U.S 6 months ago from Vienna, and there was a passenger on board with a small dog. It was a tiny little thing, I think a yorkie or something. Anyway, the passenger held the carrier the whole flight.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:26 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

That might be possible, if it was a small puppy. I've been looking into this for our kitten. You've got two options out of London - United will allow pets in cabin (but only in coach) and Delta will allow pets up front Costs an extra $150 or so, but you get to have your baby travel with you.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Put it down and have it stuffed .....
can go in you case no problem then ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.