Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:13 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Companies

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog
BTW...separate question but I have a mobile on contract with Orange. Will I have to settle the contract or will I be able to get it transferred somehow to another company in the US?
What you want to do is have Orange send you a PAYG SIM and, when you activate it, transfer the number.

That will keep your old number live, for trips to the UK, checking messages etc and you'll get a new US cell phone for day to day use in the USA.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:33 pm
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

Originally Posted by chartreuse
What you want to do is have Orange send you a PAYG SIM and, when you activate it, transfer the number.

That will keep your old number live, for trips to the UK, checking messages etc and you'll get a new US cell phone for day to day use in the USA.
Thanks for the advice but I'm more concerned with the actual contract. As it happens I spoke to Orange who basically told me to pay off the contract or pass it on to somebody else. I asked if it could be transferred somehow to the States and I was told it was impossible (a word I do not believe in, so I'm taking that as "We don't want you to do that!")

Thanks again chartreuse
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:35 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice but I'm more concerned with the actual contract. As it happens I spoke to Orange who basically told me to pay off the contract or pass it on to somebody else. I asked if it could be transferred somehow to the States and I was told it was impossible (a word I do not believe in, so I'm taking that as "We don't want you to do that!")

Thanks again chartreuse
Ah, sorry, I missed that part. I blame lack of caffeine...
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks again chartreuse
I don't want to start another big debate about paying debts.....but seriously if it's under a grand they won't chase you at all, it'll just look bad if your try to apply for credit in the UK. A friend of mine stupidly let someone else get a phone contract in her name and that person never paid the bill.....in the end she had to pay the 400 pound bill before she could get a mortgage.

Like i said at the start of the post, I don't want to start a big discussion! just tell orange that your willing to pay maybe 100 pounds to end the contract, then give them the threat that your leaving the country soon. They will probably pass you on to someone higher up and let you get out of it.....if not then at least you tried.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again chartreuse
Why would a US company take on a contract for service in a completely different country? I mean, I'm all for trying, but I just don't see who they would transfer it to.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:28 pm
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why would a US company take on a contract for service in a completely different country? I mean, I'm all for trying, but I just don't see who they would transfer it to.
Stranger things have happened at sea! I was just trying my luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

originalgoonie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by traceym
If you don't need a container, (I had clothes, a couple of statues etc,) Fedex worked out lots cheaper. Use the search bar at the top of the page there have been lots of threads about it lately.
Hi,

I am curious would Fedex ship a king size bed wooden framed bed and a double metal framed bed ? We are planning on moving over in the next few years and I think that's the only furniture we would want to take with us and I don't think there would be much else than clothes and few small keep sakes that warrant taking up much room in a container!

Also does any one know roughly how much it costs to ship a container from Uk to Connecticut or New York that will only have two beds, a king size mattress and maybe 5-10 large boxes?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by originalgoonie
Hi,

I am curious would Fedex ship a king size bed wooden framed bed and a double metal framed bed ? We are planning on moving over in the next few years and I think that's the only furniture we would want to take with us and I don't think there would be much else than clothes and few small keep sakes that warrant taking up much room in a container!

Also does any one know roughly how much it costs to ship a container from Uk to Connecticut or New York that will only have two beds, a king size mattress and maybe 5-10 large boxes?
Fedex will ship anything at a price (although you have to pack it all and a bed could be tricky!) Give them a call they have always been very helpful when i've used them.

Last edited by traceym; Sep 2nd 2010 at 5:48 pm.