British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping Companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-companies-683265/)

An. Aug 29th 2010 8:54 pm

Shipping Companies

Hi All,

I will be permanently moving from London to Charlotte, NC. Would anyone be able to recommend a good shipping company? I have mostly books and clothes and no furniture.

Thanks,

An.

traceym Aug 29th 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Shipping Companies

Originally Posted by An. (Post 8811808)
Hi All,

I will be permanently moving from London to Charlotte, NC. Would anyone be able to recommend a good shipping company? I have mostly books and clothes and no furniture.

Thanks,

An.

If you don't need a container, (I had clothes, a couple of statues etc,) Fedex worked out lots cheaper. Use the search bar at the top of the page there have been lots of threads about it lately.

An. Aug 29th 2010 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8811827)
If you don't need a container, (I had clothes, a couple of statues etc,) Fedex worked out lots cheaper. Use the search bar at the top of the page there have been lots of threads about it lately.

Thanks!

Master_Bulldog Aug 29th 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by An. (Post 8811832)
Thanks!

This is very relevant for me also...and like An. I to mainly have just clothing and a few books and stuff...plus my beloved Star Wars collection! :o No furniture!

I'll be watching this thread with great interest...

traceym Aug 29th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog (Post 8811849)
This is very relevant for me also...and like An. I to mainly have just clothing and a few books and stuff...plus my beloved Star Wars collection! :o No furniture!

I'll be watching this thread with great interest...

My things arrived 2 days later, 200GBP cheaper than shipping companies 3 month to get there quotes. All depends what you have!

Master_Bulldog Aug 30th 2010 7:19 am

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8811864)
My things arrived 2 days later, 200GBP cheaper than shipping companies 3 month to get there quotes. All depends what you have!

Well that's cheap! I've had quotes between £600 and £1400!

What about packaging? Shops in the UK now no longer give out boxes...they recycle them instead! I'll need a tonne of bubble wrap as well!

BTW...separate question but I have a mobile on contract with Orange. Will I have to settle the contract or will I be able to get it transferred somehow to another company in the US?

traceym Aug 30th 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog (Post 8812565)

I said 200 cheaper, not 200! !0 boxes, total weight 20 stone, was 550GBP. But that was almost 2 years ago now.

[/QUOTE]What about packaging? Shops in the UK now no longer give out boxes...they recycle them instead! I'll need a tonne of bubble wrap as well!

[/QUOTE]

Staples, boxes and bubble wrap or removal firms or storage places. You cant use old Walkers crisps ones! They have to be double wall cardboard.

sir_eccles Aug 30th 2010 3:26 pm

hmm this reminds me of all of the boxes of books and stuff I left with my parents when I left a few years back. I would have thought it would cost a fortune (based on weight) for Fedex to ship. Are there companies who can come to your house maybe put it on a pallet and ship it. Manchester to PHX.

Ja5on Aug 31st 2010 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog (Post 8812565)

What about packaging? Shops in the UK now no longer give out boxes...they recycle them instead! I'll need a tonne of bubble wrap as well!

BTW...separate question but I have a mobile on contract with Orange. Will I have to settle the contract or will I be able to get it transferred somehow to another company in the US?

if it's just clothes and books then try to pack them all into cases and check them onto the plane.....also if it's gonna be over 500 pounds then it might be worth paying for a friend to come with you for a week, they can check an extra 2 bags. when i moved i just gave most of my stuff away. everything else I put in one huge suitcase and got charged 30 pound for the extra weight.

TimberHut Aug 31st 2010 2:22 pm

3 years ago I used:

http://www.excess-baggage.com/

At the time they would deliver the boxes, tape etc to you. You filled them up and they shipped them.

I had about 50 boxes of various weights and sizes and it took 10 weeks door-to-door (via a boat). Everything arrived safe and sound. Nothing missing.

It cost about a grand.

It was a good deal at the time. A lot can change in 3 years but it could be worth giving them a call/email.

Good luck.

Master_Bulldog Aug 31st 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ja5on (Post 8816073)
if it's just clothes and books then try to pack them all into cases and check them onto the plane.....also if it's gonna be over 500 pounds then it might be worth paying for a friend to come with you for a week, they can check an extra 2 bags. when i moved i just gave most of my stuff away. everything else I put in one huge suitcase and got charged 30 pound for the extra weight.

I have a very loved and treasured collection of Star Wars bits and bobs...much of it fragile and worth money. So I'd rather send it by courier. I figured I may well take an extra suitcase of clothing onto the plane over.

Ja5on Aug 31st 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog (Post 8816303)
I have a very loved and treasured collection of Star Wars bits and bobs...much of it fragile and worth money. So I'd rather send it by courier. I figured I may well take an extra suitcase of clothing onto the plane over.

well don't forget to get it insured. Also does your fiancee know about this star wars collection? know your getting married it may have to live in the loft, women don't understand action figures/toys/games ect.

Master_Bulldog Aug 31st 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ja5on (Post 8816373)
well don't forget to get it insured. Also does your fiancee know about this star wars collection? know your getting married it may have to live in the loft, women don't understand action figures/toys/games ect.

Haha! Luckily I have found myself a lady geek! She is fully aware of my love of all things Star Wars (well, the original Star Wars trilogy) as proved when she happily played Star Wars Trvial Pursuit (I always win!) and when she bought me $200 worth of Star Wars statues (that'll be two then). We have already agreed a home for my collection...in the office! We're even planning on doing the Star Wars celebration expo next year...GEEKTASTIC! :thumbsup:

Ja5on Aug 31st 2010 7:15 pm

I've got a good friend who's into comics....his wife has banned him from going into their local comic store on his own because he ends up spending a lot of money every time he goes in there! I've always thought that things look cool but never been that interested in buying them. good luck not breaking anything on the trip over!

Master_Bulldog Aug 31st 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ja5on (Post 8816774)
I've got a good friend who's into comics....his wife has banned him from going into their local comic store on his own because he ends up spending a lot of money every time he goes in there! I've always thought that things look cool but never been that interested in buying them. good luck not breaking anything on the trip over!

I have a friend who has an enormous Star Wars collection. His wife once said to him "It's me for the Star Wars stuff!" Good man...he took 3 months to decide! He even managed to negotiate a compromise...he keeps the collection in the spare bedroom!