Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A septic poll

A septic poll

Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:52 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A septic poll

Originally Posted by gardnma
Ugh, I don't eat that Yank crap!

Gimme a cheeseburger.
Want that supersizing?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thydney
Want that supersizing?
Hell, yeah!
Gimme a jumbo-collosal-supersize burger. I want jumbo-wumbo fries and gimme a bucket 'o soda the size of a circus tent. I want a apple pie thing also but hold the mayo. Just put it all in that suitcase and winch it into the back of my massive SUV which is the only vehicle I can fit my supersize septic ass into.

Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Rhyming slang or not, this particular term is still ultimately an insult. The rhyming aspect, I'm sure, may have been intended in part to be clever, but it is also passive-aggressive and a bit cowardly (they don't have the balls to tell the Yank in a forthright manner that he will understand that they think that he is full of shit). I wouldn't mind it if it was meant in good fun, but in most contexts, it's a pretty obvious slur, and no friend of mine abroad has ever used it.
That's the thing, people get called all kinds of shit by other people, but it only seems to be a problem over here....though in reality, it's all in context, being called a Pom, by an ozzie, I don't wouldn't think it offensive as long as the ozzie didn't think it offensive if I called him a complete yanking tw@ bag.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
As a Yank who has spent a fair bit of time abroad, including the UK, Ireland, NZ and Australia, I have tell you that I have never been called a "septic" or "seppo" (Aussie variant), or at least not to my face, but that I would probably come to blows with somebody who did, except perhaps if it was clearly intended to be humorous.

Rhyming slang or not, this particular term is still ultimately an insult. The rhyming aspect, I'm sure, may have been intended in part to be clever, but it is also passive-aggressive and a bit cowardly (they don't have the balls to tell the Yank in a forthright manner that he will understand that they think that he is full of shit). I wouldn't mind it if it was meant in good fun, but in most contexts, it's a pretty obvious slur, and no friend of mine abroad has ever used it.
Lets get to the nitty gritty here. Its not the actual rhyming slang that you find offensive is it? No! It's the word "Septic" and your belief that it implies something to do with "Shit". I think that the word "septic" is used instead of say "Gas", "Fuel" or "oil" is because we probably find it quite quaint that the leaders of the free world and the most advanced country in the world still have tanks full of human shit buried in their back yards in the 21 century. I don't think the word "septic" is directed at the people in general....so it's not an insult, not in my book and I am a cockney and we are talking about cockney rhyming slang here, I grew up with this and haven't just blindly stumbled upon it and decided it's meant as insulting.

As for anyone from "the Island" not having the balls to tell a yank he is full of shit.......You obviously don't have a clue as to the origins of the slang. It was devised as a way for criminals to speak freely without having to worry if they were overheard. It should never

" not having the balls to tell a yank in a forthright manner that he is full of shit"......what a load of crap. I have told a number of your fellow countrymen, whilst here in the US, that they are full of crap and never been too scared to do so.....I've also been told the same thing by as many Americans......surprising as that may seem.

I dont believe its meant as a slur and you, like so many others, are fixated on the word "Septic". We call Greeks "Bubbles", I don't see Stavros and Mikanos complaining, We call Germans "Krauts" they call us "Tommy's"...no one complains. We call the Irish "Paddies" and they call us "Beanos" so what? But after years of you Americans calling Englishmen, Welshmen and Scotsmen "Brits" because you are mostly too ignorant to define the difference or just to lazy to define the difference you have the cheek to complain about being given a slang name with the word "septic' in it. FFS get a sense of humour and a thicker skin will ya!!!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
Try it you're so hard.
he said he'd be ordering a whole pint Thyd......so he'll have 2 of his mates with him then to help finish it. No wonder he's so brave.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the thing, people get called all kinds of shit by other people, but it only seems to be a problem over here....though in reality, it's all in context, being called a Pom, by an ozzie, I don't wouldn't think it offensive as long as the ozzie didn't think it offensive if I called him a complete yanking tw@ bag.
Indeed Robert,

In the interests of peace, tranquility and international brotherhood, particularly with those who are originally from the former American Colonies, here is a brief selection of friendly terms of endearment for those of a different skin:

Dago, Spic,
Wop, Itie, Greaseball, Guinea
Paddy, Bog Hopper, Mick, Fenian
N!gger, Darkie, Sambo, C00n, W0g, Rastas, Spade, Half-Cast, Coloured, Jungle-Bunny, Kaffir, Monkey, Nig-Nog, Porch Monkey, Spook,
Kike, Yid, Hook Nose, Heebie, 4 by 2,
Beaner, Bean-Breath,
Kraut, Gerry, Bosch, Sausage-Eater,
Anglo, Limey, Brit, Pom,
Chink, Jap, UFO (Ugly Fu(kin Oriental), Gook, Dink, Slope
Gyppo, Piker,

...........and in no particular order:

Canuck, Aussi, Kiwi, Frog, Pakki, Taff(y),

............and finally, Ladies, Gents and Queers:

Ami, Yank, Gringo, Red Neck, Hick and now ............... Septics.

Thank you so much for your patient and kind attention.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed Robert,

In the interests of peace, ......
Seriously, I think you had better delete this while you still can...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rushman
.........and I am a cockney and we are talking about cockney rhyming slang here, I grew up with this.............
......and were you in fact, born within the sound of Bow Bells?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Seriously, I think you had better delete this while you still can...
Can't think why....
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

blimey, bog hopper, not heard that in a while...not heard 4x2 either...I'm so sheltered...probably comes from being called, bob, robert or norman, when none apply *lol*

http://www.rsdb.org/?2

Though that is a handy site, especially as there are some slurs that I wouldn't have thought of such as Spooks over here.

Indeed Robert,

In the interests of peace, tranquility and international brotherhood, particularly with those who are originally from the former American Colonies, here is a brief selection of friendly terms of endearment for those of a different skin:

Dago, Spic,
Wop, Itie, Greaseball, Guinea
Paddy, Bog Hopper, Mick, Fenian
N!gger, Darkie, Sambo, C00n, W0g, Rastas, Spade, Half-Cast, Coloured, Jungle-Bunny, Kaffir, Monkey, Nig-Nog, Porch Monkey, Spook,
Kike, Yid, Hook Nose, Heebie, 4 by 2,
Beaner, Bean-Breath,
Kraut, Gerry, Bosch, Sausage-Eater,
Anglo, Limey, Brit, Pom,
Chink, Jap, UFO (Ugly Fu(kin Oriental), Gook, Dink, Slope
Gyppo, Piker,

...........and in no particular order:

Canuck, Aussi, Kiwi, Frog, Pakki, Taff(y),

............and finally, Ladies, Gents and Queers:

Ami, Yank, Gringo, Red Neck, Hick and now ............... Septics.

Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

......and were you in fact, born within the sound of Bow Bells?
No!! I was born "within the reach of the sound" of Bow Bells....the bells dont have to be ringing.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

No!! I was born "within the reach of the sound" of Bow Bells....the bells dont have to be ringing.
What was the weather like the day you were born?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

What was the weather like the day you were born?
Light clouds, some drizzle brightened up later. It was Mothering sunday.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

We call the Irish "Paddies" and they call us "Beanos" so what?

Not so sure about that - a beano means something entirely different in ireland as far as I know.
Maybe it was once used to refer to the english, but prob not in the last 50 years.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Light clouds, some drizzle brightened up later. It was Mothering sunday.
Right then,
Mothering Sunday is in March. At that time of year the temperature could have been cold. If it was drizzling (triffic memory, btw), it is unlikely it was freezing. So, lets assume 40 deg. F? At 40 deg, the speed of sound is 747 mph.

When the Reverend Arthur Ignatius Boggs first coined the phrase "Born within the Sound of Bow Bells" in order to keep his parishoners awake one hot August Sunday morning in 1648 he had no knowledge of Sound Dynamics and would niether have known that the mean velocity of sound would be 784 mph that day.

Taking into account the facts that in 1855, the famous Bow Bells were replaced by cheaper, lighter ones in a scrap metal drive to support the Crimean War, thereby reducing drastically the distance the sound would travel, and the equally important fact that there are many taller, bigger, heavier buildings around the church than on that balmy Sunday morning, it is possible to estimate that unless you were actually born on the steps of the church, you are, in fact, not a Cockney.

Sorry to burst your bubble John.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.