Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending US (~$25k) to UK

Sending US (~$25k) to UK

Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Sending US (~$25k) to UK

If I have a US and UK account, is the best option just to transfer from one bank to another (Wells Fargo to Halifax) or should I explore other services?

Any other things to think about? I don't want to end up on one of the border protection programs!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending US (~$25k) to UK

Do it bank-to-bank, as a wire and you'll get a cräppy exchange rate and get stuck with wire fees. Additional fees and poor exchange rate could easily cost you an additional 2%-5% of the amount.

Use an on-line remitter such as xe.com, xoom.com, etc, and select credit by ACH, so the receiving bank doesn't stick you with a wire fee.

Sending funds between banks in the US and UK using a remitting service is not going to cause you to be flagged in any way.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 14th 2014 at 3:58 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2112 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do it bank-to-bank, as a wire and you'll get a cräppy exchange rate and get stuck with wire fees. Additional fees and poor exchange rate could easily cost you an additional 2%-5% of the amount.

Use an on-line remitter such as xe.com, xoom.com, etc, and select credit by ACH, so the receiving bank doesn't stick you with a wire fee.

Sending funds between banks in the US and UK using a remitting service is not going to cause you to be flagged in any way.

Thanks for the advice Pulaski
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookie2112
...... Thanks for the advice Pulaski
You're welcome.

BTW I used xe.com to transfer the net proceeds of the sale of my house, so I consider it to be safe for transferring "large" amounts.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 14th 2014 at 8:23 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:24 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

It depending what US State you want to wire the money from.

Most of the on-line service can handle UK -> California but few can handle California -> UK.

You'll need to check that out and if you're in CA choices may be limited.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by malch
It depending what US State you want to wire the money from.

Most of the on-line service can handle UK -> California but few can handle California -> UK.

You'll need to check that out and if you're in CA choices may be limited.
xe.com belongs to Western Union, and AFAIK can handle transfers outwards from every state.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We used HIFX coming over but I'm not sure who to use going back.

I seem to remember we still had to pay wire fees though.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:01 am

Post Re: Sending US (~$25k) to UK

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Be sure to request "credit by ACH" (or similar, perhaps "direct credit") ..... People are tempted to, and often do, select "credit by wire" because they think that is what they are supposed to do.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I was also used to use HiFx using ACH (no wire fees) but a couple of years they stopped dealing with anyone with a US address. I switched to XE.com which works great in both directions.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 4:10 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I just signed up with xe.com and they needed me to call and speak to a representative to clear up a question. That taken care of, I asked if it mattered that I was moving, and they said it was fine.