Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car for a US College student

Car for a US College student

Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car for a US College student

Does a US College student need a car? I know that it is probably location specific, but what do most students do? What do the Ivy Leaguers do?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car for a US College student

In the vast majority of universities in the US, students overwhelmingly have the use of a car. A small number of urban universities, predominantly in the North East (Boston, New York City, and perhaps Philadelphia and DC) are "walkable" and no car is necessary, but that is unusual. Bear in mind that in most places in America it is at least inconvenient to not have the use of a car, with NYC and San Francisco being notable exceptions.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I had a car, but I attended a university in a mid-west city and I commuted from home. Once at school, I parked it and left it in the same spot all day, and walked around campus to my classes. But some campuses are far bigger than others, and this may not always work. Keep in mind there may not always be good facilities close by to campuses (i.e. grocery stores). So I think it has to be evaluated on a case-by-case as whether a car is really needed or not the first few years. Campus visits/tours could give pretty good insight into this. Also, I think some uni's are starting to restrict who can actually have cars - I've read about a few uni's that now say freshman can't have cars as there just isn't enough parking available.

By the last couple of years, I think majority of students are going to want cars to get away from campus, maybe to go shopping and/or go to friends' houses, or they might move off-campus and need a car.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the college.

Most colleges, will probably need a car if you're living off campus...and even if living on campus. Cost and availability of parking may or may not be good.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on the university and your finances. Ivy League, I guess everyone would have one. My son is at a state university in a small town and has managed with cycling for 3 years (although he's not too happy about it). I will give him mine next year.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In the vast majority of universities in the US, students overwhelmingly have the use of a car. A small number of urban universities, predominantly in the North East (Boston, New York City, and perhaps Philadelphia and DC) are "walkable" and no car is necessary, but that is unusual. Bear in mind that in most places in America it is at least inconvenient to not have the use of a car, with NYC and San Francisco being notable exceptions.

Yes, I have to admit, whenever I have been to the US, we have always taken a rental.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I had a car, but I attended a university in a mid-west city and I commuted from home. Once at school, I parked it and left it in the same spot all day, and walked around campus to my classes. But some campuses are far bigger than others, and this may not always work. Keep in mind there may not always be good facilities close by to campuses (i.e. grocery stores). So I think it has to be evaluated on a case-by-case as whether a car is really needed or not the first few years. Campus visits/tours could give pretty good insight into this. Also, I think some uni's are starting to restrict who can actually have cars - I've read about a few uni's that now say freshman can't have cars as there just isn't enough parking available.

By the last couple of years, I think majority of students are going to want cars to get away from campus, maybe to go shopping and/or go to friends' houses, or they might move off-campus and need a car.
Ah, I see. Thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

So, the top Ivies and such like don't really need a car due to good public transport?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:28 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I live not too far away from the University of Florida (stankin' Gators~) and i see a huge abundance of mopeds/scooters that seem to get used more than cars/trucks.

This is a pretty specific question. A lot will depend on the actually university and the actual course taken, but as mentioned a rental, when needed, could always be the answer if the campus is walkable.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a car when I was at CU in Boulder. Lived on campus, nearly everywhere else was a short walk or bus ride away. Living off-campus would have been a completely different story.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

What is the cost of car like for a 17/18/19 year old in the US? A cheap, small, car. In the UK, it is extremely expensive, with the car insurance being many times the cost of the car itself.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
..... a rental, when needed, could always be the answer .....
From what I hear, most car rental companies won't rent to under-25-year-olds.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:40 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! Good point, one that I had failed to consider, even if they did I am sure it would be prohibitively expensive.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:58 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, it depends a lot on the specific campus.

My daughter copes fine without a car. She lives on campus at UCLA.

There are times when she'd like access to her own vehicle but they are relatively rare. And for the money it would cost for maintenance, insurance, parking etc. she could hire a limo when she needs one and still be in-pocket.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Enterprise do, but not for under 18 and it's vaseline inducingly expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.