Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sending gift to the UK, best way to minimize VAT?

Sending gift to the UK, best way to minimize VAT?

Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future
Default Sending gift to the UK, best way to minimize VAT?

I want to send a thank-you present to a friend back in London, who I stayed with for a week while I was in the UK. I want to send a piece of art work that I made. I am not a professional artist and have never sold any work. The value of the piece, if there is any, is in the canvas that could be reused.

What is the best way to send this to avoid, or minimize VAT or import duty?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:45 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending gift to the UK, best way to minimize VAT?

I sent a parcel to my parents. The customs declaration was childrens clothing gifts under $20 and my parents were still forced to pay £20 in customs duty and fees to receive the parcel. When my parents questioned it, the very helpful response was that you can't question it. You either accept it and pay up, or you don't get your parcel. I honestly think they just make up whatever they fancy. Certainly if the point of entry is Teesside. Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Mother in law always sends stuff with gift on it and we never have to pay a penny on it
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Mother in law always sends stuff with gift on it and we never have to pay a penny on it
the key is the gift option. if i remember correctly it did double the amount allowed before being taxable from £18 to £36... not too sure on the actual limit these days...
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Motto of the Tax Officials;

"We've Got What It Takes - To Take What You've Got"

Jim.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase to use in the customs form is...

"Gift. Of no commercial value".
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Agreed.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

And then it just becomes the luck of the draw.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And then it just becomes the luck of the draw.
I have never had a problem and I usually put NCV only. In recent years I either send cash or something via the internet.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:06 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

All packages under 15 GBP value, whether gift or not, should not attract any charges.

If you send the item via a private service, such as Fedex, DHL or whatever, all items are assessed for VAT and duty. If VAT or duty is payable, based on the way it is labelled, they will enforce collection.

If you send the item via the Government service, i.e. USPS then only a certain percentage are scrutinised. An even smaller percentage are opened to validate the labelling.

If the item is truly of little or no commercial value then use whatever service you are happiest with. There is indeed a gift threshold of 40 GBP, so if it is under that value then, again, declare it as a gift with the appropriate value and use whatever service you like.

If there's anything iffy about the label contents then the odds of escaping duty, VAT or excise being applied increase by using the public service options.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have never had a problem and I usually put NCV only. In recent years I either send cash or something via the internet.
I've had one get held by customs to my mother and she's also had another by her sister who sent a DVD from Japan.

It's pretty rare though I'd say for us at least, but it's still luck of the draw.

I guess it also depends on how vague you are about the description of the package
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Just write the following on the outside of your package;

CONTENTS: None of your effing Business

Value: See Above

You will be just fine

Jim.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future

Not what I was hoping for but exactly what I was expecting... thanks all, guess I will just cross my fingers.