Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards for students (no ssn)

Credit Cards for students (no ssn)

Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all
Default Credit Cards for students (no ssn)

I'm a first year grad student and I want to get a credit card and start building up a credit score so I can actually get a decent one at some point (tried at Chase but it's taking forever, no one knows what they're talking about and i'm getting fed up with them)... Any recommendations on a first time card that has high approval rates? I'm not eligible for a SSN.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards for students (no ssn)

A credit union is a good idea. You're in CA, no? I know of someone who still banks with Golden 1 years after opening an account at the start of grad school. (Not sure if he had an SSN at the time, though.)
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought EVERYONE was eligible for an SSN. You may not be eligible to work, but that doesn't exclude an SSN. My first card had "Not valid for employment" on it.

AFAIK, all credit scores are worked from an SSN, so without one, you have no chance!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought EVERYONE was eligible for an SSN. You may not be eligible to work, but that doesn't exclude an SSN. My first card had "Not valid for employment" on it.
Everyone with the proof of status required to apply for one can get one. Others have to make do with ITINs.

AFAIK, all credit scores are worked from an SSN, so without one, you have no chance!
This is the sticking point.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I opened a secured credit card with Wells Fargo when we moved over, I don't have a SSN, it was quite simple. I had been in the country for less than 24 hours

The only thing is without a SSN you won't build a credit score other than with the individual bank you have the card with!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies!

I have a chase bank account and debit card, just having trouble getting their credit card and it's getting to be a really long process, so looking for alternatives.

According to my school i'm only eligible for a SSN with a job offer and since I don't have one (and I don't plan on getting one right now) I can't... although the point of getting the card was to build my credit score and if I can't do that without the SSN I guess getting the card is irrelevant!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what your status in the US is. If you're F1 student visa you can get a SSN.

Easiest way would be just to be a co-signer on a parents account, it seems to be what most folks here do.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't say what your status in the US is. If you're F1 student visa you can get a SSN.

Easiest way would be just to be a co-signer on a parents account, it seems to be what most folks here do.
Thanks for your reply. I am on an F1 - I am eligible for a SSN IF I get a job but I don't have the time to do that until the summer. I can get card on my boyfriends account but my only reason for getting the credit card, rather than continuing to use my debit card was to build my credit score - which you don't as a cardholder on someone else's account right? If the score is tied to your SSN anyway looks like i'm stuck til the summer.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Thanks for your reply. I am on an F1 - I am eligible for a SSN IF I get a job but I don't have the time to do that until the summer. I can get card on my boyfriends account but my only reason for getting the credit card, rather than continuing to use my debit card was to build my credit score - which you don't as a cardholder on someone else's account right? If the score is tied to your SSN anyway looks like i'm stuck til the summer.
Get a part time job, get SSN, quit job. Sorted. It's not like you've got to give notice anyway.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a part time job, get SSN, quit job. Sorted. It's not like you've got to give notice anyway.
In my first semester though - I thought I can only get on campus jobs at this point? Not sure I want to piss off the school by doing that!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

In my first semester though - I thought I can only get on campus jobs at this point? Not sure I want to piss off the school by doing that!
If you're on your first semester, you can't even work, so never mind
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies!

I have a chase bank account and debit card, just having trouble getting their credit card and it's getting to be a really long process, so looking for alternatives.

According to my school i'm only eligible for a SSN with a job offer and since I don't have one (and I don't plan on getting one right now) I can't... although the point of getting the card was to build my credit score and if I can't do that without the SSN I guess getting the card is irrelevant!
That sounds incorrect. Even school counsellors sometimes get information wrong. I've never heard of a social security office ask someone for documentation that they have been offered a job but only documentation (your visa) that allows you to work. I'd go to a social security office and apply for a social security number and not mention anything about a job offer and see if they will issue you one.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 12th 2012 at 12:23 am.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a credit card to build a credit score, you need a credit score to get a credit card. Get the electric/phone bill in your name (by giving a deposit) & pay with your bank account for a while.

I had a bank account and a ssn, but other than a secured card it took almost a year to get a real credit card.

If you can't have a SSN, I don't think anything stops you from applying for a ITIN, but not sure on that, or if it helps.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RICH
You don't need a credit card to build a credit score, you need a credit score to get a credit card. Get the electric/phone bill in your name (by giving a deposit) & pay with your bank account for a while.
That doesn't actually build you any history. Utilities only report negatives such as late payments, they don't post anything else that'll help build up a history.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That doesn't actually build you any history. Utilities only report negatives such as late payments, they don't post anything else that'll help build up a history.
Fair enough. I'm no expert, but the utilities certainly "run a credit check" to determine if you need a deposit or not. That in itself is a transaction that adds to or establishes your credit history (may not effect your score)
And I don't think you need a SSN to have a utility bill. That said, you might as well use the deposit money towards a secured credit card.