Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'd have more sympathy for your claim of "nonsense" had you not been trying to sell the house for quite a while. As you have and buyers haven't been making offers, or even viewing the property, count me unimpressed by your claim.
Sorry but you have no idea how many viewers or offers I've had, so you're not in a position to judge.

It's obvious that we aren't going to agree on this point so I propose we agree to disagree and get back to topic.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We use 2 'market values' here: one on the tax rolls which splits out the value of the land and the value of the improvements (house) which they ironcially call Real Market Value and the Real Real Market Value, which is whatever the market will bear.
Since the taxman's valuation is much lower than reality, I wonder what happens if the market decays to the point that it *really* isn't 'real market value'. That doesn't really happen because the tax assessment is in line with some sort of reality-based formula.

BG's been caught in a bad spot.. I've got good friends in the same one. They purchased long enough ago that they will still make money, just not as much money as they would have 9 months ago. But, they, like BG, weren't ready to move at that point, so what can you do? It's a paper excercise ('value' that is) until the deal is done.. you don't *really* have equity til the check's in your pocket (or in the case of my bank these days, the folding money).
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Sorry but you have no idea how many viewers or offers I've had, so you're not in a position to judge.
From your very first post in this thread:

After 4 months on the market with only two offers (one we accepted but they pulled out, the other was a low offer that I since wish I'd accepted but didn't)
It's obvious that we aren't going to agree on this point so I propose we agree to disagree and get back to topic.
Fair enough.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

My very first post in this thread was quite some time ago.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The market value is whatever a buyer is willing to pay...nothing more.

I bought a house in the UK 2 months ago it had been on the market since May...got a great discount for a quick sale...21 days.
This is my point...those two statements are at odds.

If you got a 'discount'...it means you didn't pay the 'market value' - otherwise it's not a discount, is it?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you got a 'discount'...it means you didn't pay the 'market value' - otherwise it's not a discount, is it?
She means "discount" from the sale aka seller's "wishing" price. There's nothing at odds here. Sales prices are fiction until a sale is actually made.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 22nd 2008 at 11:17 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I did pay the market price...the discount was on the over inflated selling price.

A couple of days before I got the keys they same agent put a nearby house on the market for 20 GBP more than mine...and it's a smaller house.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no such thing as a 'discount'.... as giantaxe says it was the vendors 'wishful thinking price'...property is only worth what someone will pay, period.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can see we are going round in circles here.

Let's move on.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's move on.
that's the story of BE...most topics have been covered many times before and we just go over and over and over, again and again and again

just let's hope you get your place sold once and for all!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Let's move on.
I would only call it a loss if you got less than you paid for it.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Dates have been suggested by the 'opposing' solicitor.....should be done and dusted in 2 weeks....hopefully....please....please....lol
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well it looks like it is going to happen this time.....got dates off the solicitor for exchange and completion next week.....buyer has a bankers draft ready for the deposit....

Of course it can still all go wrong but surely it can't happen twice at the last minute to such a lovable person as myself....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Well it looks like it is going to happen this time.....got dates off the solicitor for exchange and completion next week.....buyer has a bankers draft ready for the deposit....

Of course it can still all go wrong but surely it can't happen twice at the last minute to such a lovable person as myself....
That sounds about as safe a bet as you can make in these times. The bankers draft is a very promising sign.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I'm starting to do the small stuff....give notice on cellphone contracts and satellite subscriptions etc.....not booking flights till the solicitor gives me the nod, of course.

Another good thing is that I appear to have found flights for the day we want to travel for £375 each - whether they will still be there in a week is another question. If I check for the same flight at the same price a week earlier it is available so maybe we will get lucky and manage to book it next week before it fills up.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Oct 27th 2008 at 8:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.