Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The selling/renting your UK property to move to the US thread

Nice.....here's hoping!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:05 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Nice.....here's hoping!
Thanks. One set today seemed a bit iffy - but they were about 12 years old and full of themselves, so maybe they were expecting Buck House Shame though, as they've got one of those government paid deposits.

The other people seemed to really like the place though. Should get feedback from the EA on Monday.

Meanwhile, I've written to the mortgage co to put it on interest only from this month, so as to keep the payments low while it's empty. That way I can keep it on the market, rather than have to rent it out, which would make selling hard.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When we sold our house the person who displayed the least interest and I said we will not see them again was the one who made the best offer.

Good luck hope one turns out to be a buyer.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, things might be looking up for us. We had two viwings yesterday, both first time buyers and one today (a couple who have sold to ftbs) plus another one due this afternoon (more ftbs).

So, fingers crossed, we might get this place sold sooner rather than later. Which would save paying mortgage on it while it's empty for months
Oooh, sounds hopeful, chartreuse.. thinking Good Thoughts(tm)!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:12 am
Just Joined

coogeebay is an unknown quantity at this point

We have rented out our UK house, it works very well. You will need a dependable estate agent, you will also need to be in an area where rental properties are in demand. Ours is in the London area so it was no problem. We have two mortgages, one here and we still have a small one in the UK. I depends on your circumstances, but it has worked very well for us.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oooh, sounds hopeful, chartreuse.. thinking Good Thoughts(tm)!
Thanks! None of them worked out, but never mind. Hopefully another one will.

These past weeks, we've been selling all of our crap on ebay (not the crap we're shipping, of course, the other crap).

One of the sales was my extensive collection of '70s and '80s micros. The buyer is coming to collect tomorrow, so I've been hauling boxes out of the loft. I've about filled the living room and there's still at least as much to go!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! None of them worked out, but never mind. Hopefully another one will.

These past weeks, we've been selling all of our crap on ebay (not the crap we're shipping, of course, the other crap).

One of the sales was my extensive collection of '70s and '80s micros. The buyer is coming to collect tomorrow, so I've been hauling boxes out of the loft. I've about filled the living room and there's still at least as much to go!
Good 'tude!

But I'm at a loss-- '70s and '80s micros?

'70s and '80s micros

'70s and '80s micros

'70s and '80s micros
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:35 pm

Good 'tude!

But I'm at a loss-- '70s and '80s micros?

'70s and '80s micros

'70s and '80s micros

'70s and '80s micros
The last one. Except way, way more than one
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That brings back memories. A couple of those BBC mircos were used to sent up the first fully working replica of a Met Police control room on the set of The Bill.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:51 pm

So glad I caught up to the DH *after* he'd made one major move.

Stupid kitten ate my V-day roses, yes she did.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:20 pm

So glad I caught up to the DH *after* he'd made one major move.

Stupid kitten ate my V-day roses, yes she did.
No, they were her V-day roses, she just kindly let you look at them for a while.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
That brings back memories. A couple of those BBC mircos were used to sent up the first fully working replica of a Met Police control room on the set of The Bill.
The funny thing about that typo is that either "set" or "send" would work.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:21 pm

Well, despite not having sold, we're off tomorrow. I've put the mortgage on interest only, got my 6 month holidays on council tax & water rates and reckon we'll get away with it if we can sell inside those 6 months. If not, I'll have to rent it, but I hope not.

The only fly in the ointment is the insurance. In January I called our insurers (as renewal was due early Feb) and told them that we'd be moving out in March, even if it hadn't sold and leaving it empty. Got told "No problem, let us know and we'll give you a waiver, you'll still be covered."

Called them today - they've gone back on it. Even after listening to the call and admitting I was misled, the best they'll offer is 45 days.So, it looks like I'll be trying to find empty property cover when we get to TX (at least I've got 6 weeks to play with) and sending them the bill. Then matters will be in the hands of my solicitor, cos I'm not p1ssing about.