Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling in London to buy in LA....?!

Selling in London to buy in LA....?!

Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling in London to buy in LA....?!

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
I expect they would have to buy EQ insurance though.
Actually - no.
Earthquake insurance in CA. is entirely discretionary.
Due to its high deductible (ranges from 10-15%) - fewer than 10% of homeowners opt to carry it.
Instead, we live on borrowed time and
Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense, kind of like fire insurance not being mandatory up here in the Sierra where forest fires are a major problem.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Actually - no.
Due to its high deductible (ranges from 10-15%) - fewer than 10% of homeowners opt to carry it. ....
The risk of collapse or major structural damage caused by an earthquake to well constructed timber frame houses is relatively low. The sheathing keeps them true and square, so you would have to have a earthquake lasting long enough to shake the sheathing off before the was a great liklihood of irreparable structural damage. Of course a minor earthquake can shake the drywall enough to crack the interior walls, or damage exterior masonry.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense, kind of like fire insurance not being mandatory up here in the Sierra where forest fires are a major problem.

Isn't FIRE one of the principal coverage risks provided and standard in *all* California Homeowners Policies?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't FIRE one of the principal coverage risks provided and standard in *all* California Homeowners Policies?

It's offered but it costs a fortune in you live up in the foothills where major forest fires are annual events. Many opt to gamble and go without.

The irony is that most of those folks are anti-govt. types who go up there to get away from those nasty feds, yet when a major fire occurs they expect the firefighters to come in and save them...paid for by the rest of us.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's offered but it costs a fortune in you live up in the foothills where major forest fires are annual events. Many opt to gamble and go without.
But what I'm saying (in my post above) - is that I believe it's *standard* (not optional).

In fact - I believe Mortgage Lenders require such continued coverage as a condition for fulfilling one's obligation as the mortgagee.

And each year - when the Homeowner's Policy comes up for renewal - proof of current Homeowner's Insurance (which includes mandatory fire coverage) must be submitted to the Mortgage Company - who know and keep track of the date when the old policy expires.

The Mortgage Company won't carry the risk of getting burned themselves - in a fire
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Well not everybody has a mortgage up there. It's not that expensive to own land and build and many of them have been there for years and so have paid off their houses.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But what I'm saying (in my post above) - is that I believe it's *standard* (not optional).

In fact - I believe Mortgage Lenders require such continued coverage as a condition for fulfilling one's obligation as the mortgagee.

And each year - when the Homeowner's Policy comes up for renewal - proof of current Homeowner's Insurance (which includes mandatory fire coverage) must be submitted to the Mortgage Company - who know and keep track of the date when the old policy expires.

The Mortgage Company won't carry the risk of getting burned themselves - in a fire
Wot Matt said. "Required by the mortgage company" is not the same as "not optional". It's the same here (NC) with flood insurance if you are in a "flood zone" - the mortgage rules require flood insurance, but without a mortgage it is entirel optional.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

As for 'major structural damage' earthquake risk to single family homes - an
LA Times article published just 10 days ago points out ......

Retrofitting pre-1979 homes can prevent much costlier quake damage - LA Times
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I'm more worried about termites than anything else. Also I have a cabin up in the foothills and carpenter ants ate through some of the structural beams. I now have monthly sprayings done by a pest company.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well not everybody has a mortgage up there. It's not that expensive to own land and build and many of them have been there for years and so have paid off their houses.
Oh, yes - for those who don't have mortgages and therefore have no contractual or legal obligation to carry fire insurance and so, they don't (wonder what percentage fall into that category?) this wouldn't apply.....
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

It's horrendously expensive for the State of CA to keep fighting these forest fires so we're seeing a lot more mandatory fire protection fees for those folk who like to live up in the hills.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's horrendously expensive for the State of CA to keep fighting these forest fires so we're seeing a lot more mandatory fire protection fees for those folk who like to live up in the hills.
...and with climate change - situation's only getting worse. We had some horrific winds here in LA over the course of 2+ days, knocking out power for 1000's. I held my breath thinking these are perfect conditions for generating the perfect firestorm.

btw - The firefighters are my heroes
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually - no.
Due to its high deductible (ranges from 10-15%) - fewer than 10% of homeowners opt to carry it.
Instead, we live on borrowed time and
Yes, true. But I was wondering if there might be another reason too- if there was a major earthquake perhaps they would declare a disaster and there would be federal aid like with the hurricane in Louisiana, so people don't want to waste money on expensive insurance when they would get compensated anyway. I'm just speculating- does anyone know what happened in previous earthquakes, did homeowners get compensated by state or federal aid?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Asg123
Yes, true. But I was wondering if there might be another reason too- if there was a major earthquake perhaps they would declare a disaster and there would be federal aid like with the hurricane in Louisiana, so people don't want to waste money on expensive insurance when they would get compensated anyway. I'm just speculating- does anyone know what happened in previous earthquakes, did homeowners get compensated by state or federal aid?
In my wildest pipe-dreams - it's never even crossed my mind that either the State or Federal govt. would shell out to repair destruction to one's home due to earthquake damage.

At best - yes, hopefully dig you out from beneath the rubble , get you to Cedars (or whatever hospital is closest) if required and if it's still standing but other than that....would think all available emergency and monetary resources will go toward rescue operations, extinguishing fires caused by exploding gas mains etc. and then in prioritised order - massive cleanup operations, infrastructure repair/reconstruction (roads/freeways, bridges, ports, power etc.)

but....I don't like to think about this - so am crawling back into my state of denial and not comforting myself with any fantasies about what governmental deus ex machina might mean in a post-apocalypse reality.

http://nisee.berkeley.edu/loma_prieta/comerio.html

Last edited by MMcD; Apr 16th 2016 at 10:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.