Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling a house without a realtor

Selling a house without a realtor

Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a house without a realtor

I've purchased two houses without any participation of a realtor. I don't see any harm in placing a few adds and seeing if you get any nibbles within say, one month. If the market is as tight as the realtors are claiming you should be able to find a buyer. If a buyer's agent realtor contact's you about showing it to their client you are in a strong negotiating position to tell them what you're willing to pay them, say, 2%, or $x,000.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've purchased two houses without any participation of a realtor. I don't see any harm in placing a few adds and seeing if you get any nibbles within say, one month. If the market is as tight as the realtors are claiming you should be able to find a buyer. If a buyer's agent realtor contact's you about showing it to their client you are in a strong negotiating position to tell them what you're willing to pay them, say, 2%, or $x,000.
We didn't use a realtor when we bought 15 years ago...we bought this house directly from the builder. Both our condos in Toronto were bought through agents...but we sourced them ourselves...we didn't instruct a realtor to find a property for us.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently buying without a buyers agent, we went directly to the sellers listing agent for the house and said heres our offer I'm sure you would prefer to keep the 5% commission for yourself than split it with another agent ...... guess what, he did Ours was one of 11 offers and the seller went with ours.

We had viewed over 15 homes in about a two month period, plus 2 open houses that were listed on MLS that were homes being sold by owner. Both had offers accepted within 5 days of the open houses.
The houses where we are that are move in ready and don't have 1970's kitchens and bathrooms are selling very quickly.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:53 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Anybody can list on the MLS and the price is generally less than $600.

http://www.flatfeegroup.com/?gclid=C...FQdyQgodiS4AaQ

http://www.flatfeegroup.com/NewJersey/
$600 for one party but a coop for the selling agent .... if in the MLS, a coop still has to be paid (their rules and par agreement). But yes, a potential opportunity to save some dosh.

Last edited by Tarkak9; Jun 13th 2013 at 4:32 am.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:06 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

You can generally get a lower commission by giving exclusive listing (both buying and selling) to specific real estate brokerage (ex. Coldwell Banker) but again the number of potential buyers is likely reduced.
Meeeehh... not always the case.

Also there are discount brokerages such as ZipReality that charge as little as 4.5% and can possibly be as good as the large firms.

http://www.ziprealty.com/
Being large, small or part of national company ... doesn't matter; One is an independent contractor. A person from a balloon company can charge the same as a 'discount brokerage' if they so choose... question is, are they willing to.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We are due to sign with a realtor tomorrow afternoon...but after selling the car within 1 hour of putting it for sale by the road...it's got me wondering if we should try to sell the house ourselves. Has anyone tried to do this...does anyone know what is involved...is it worth it or false economy?
Costs you nothing to put on zillow.com and craigslist iirc. And frankly thats what everyone else is using these days. Plus a for sale notice - and you might find a neighbour has always wanted your house.

You don't need a realtor either, simply find a good property lawyer and take it from there.

We're about to start a buyer/seller transaction (we're the buyer), and the seller has their lawyer and title search lined up. Those things (In FL) must be paid for by the seller (iirc from a few years ago). (The seller needs to show good title iirc (or at least in our state)).

I'm not sure who would expect to see the savings though, buyer or seller. As a buyer, I would expect to see some savings as my representation (e.g. a buyers realtor) is being cut from the loop.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinman0
Costs you nothing to put on zillow.com and craigslist iirc. And frankly thats what everyone else is using these days. Plus a for sale notice - and you might find a neighbour has always wanted your house. .....
We did that. A next-door neighbour told us she was about to put her house on the market so she could move to Florida. "I don't suppose you want to buy a house? Ha ha ha!"

"Er, yes, actually I do!". The neighbour was surprised, and delighted (we learned several years later she had agreed to get married only after she had sold her house). Mrs P and I had already talked about buying it "one day"; we closed six weeks later.

Funnily enough, the other house I bought without involvement of a realtor was also purchased from a next-door neighbour. (Different address, different street, .... no, I do not own three houses adjacent to each other! )

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2013 at 11:58 am.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:08 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We did that. A next-door neighbour told us she was about to put her house on the market so she could move to Florida. "I don't suppose you want to buy a house? Ha ha ha!"

"Er, yes, actually I do!". The neighbour was surprised, and delighted (we learned several years later she had agreed to get married only after she had sold her house). Mrs P and I had already talked about buying it "one day"; we closed six weeks later.

Funnily enough, the other house I bought without involvement of a realtor was also purchased from a next-door neighbour. (Different address, different street, .... no, I do not own three houses adjacent to each other! )
Are you sure?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lion-home.html
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

JG: You had better get some gourmet grocery items for your fridge....and run up to the Short Hills Mall to get a Martha Stewart milk pitcher from Macy's

A poster on a forum for a local NJ website says that the person she employed to 'stage' her house has advised her to 'stage' her fridge too lol!

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/dis...ust-musing-/p1

In fact, the thread seems to have been picked up by a writer for the Real Estate section of the New York Times (many media folk live in Maplewood and I reckon he does too, or was tipped off about the thread):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re.../pkcH5dXZB01hQ

Unbelievable!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
JG: You had better get some gourmet grocery items for your fridge....and run up to the Short Hills Mall to get a Martha Stewart milk pitcher from Macy's

A poster on a forum for a local NJ website says that the person she employed to 'stage' her house has advised her to 'stage' her fridge too lol!

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/dis...ust-musing-/p1

In fact, the thread seems to have been picked up by a writer for the Real Estate section of the New York Times (many media folk live in Maplewood and I reckon he does too, or was tipped off about the thread):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/re.../pkcH5dXZB01hQ

Unbelievable!
I will have to look at the links later EM...thank you for posting them and for the info. The realtor called this morning...due to the bad weather it is not possible to take photos today...will re-arrange for early next week. She called straight back to say there is a viewing tomorrow morning...so it's all hands on deck! Haven't even signed with a realtor yet.

Wouldn't you know it...the leccie keeps going on and off due to the weather.