Reload this Page >

Selling a car

Selling a car

Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling a car

Hi gang,

I'm selling a car to another expat (in NYC) and wanted to check something. The buyer has only just arrived and hasn't got a NYC drivers license. I told him he needs one to buy a car and insure it. Is that correct?

Are there any other things I need to be aware of selling the car?

Thanks in advance as always
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Hi gang,

I'm selling a car to another expat (in NYC) and wanted to check something. The buyer has only just arrived and hasn't got a NYC drivers license. I told him he needs one to buy a car and insure it. Is that correct?

Are there any other things I need to be aware of selling the car?

Thanks in advance as always
insure probably not buy it it's personal property.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's only NJ that required a local license for the dealer to release it, didn't think NY had that requirement.

DMV would tell you for sure though.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, one more question. Buyer is getting his licence sorted so all good there. I read on the DMV that I have to remove the plates and send them back. If I do that how does he drive the car away without plates?
If a cop stops him does he just show the buyer forms we fill in?
TIA
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, one more question. Buyer is getting his licence sorted so all good there. I read on the DMV that I have to remove the plates and send them back. If I do that how does he drive the car away without plates?
TIA
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Tows it or risks getting a ticket.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Since New York requires that, I'd suggest that you go down to the DMV with him and have him register the car when you remove the license plates. He'll probably just get a paper sticker for the window until his license plates arrive.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

He's collecting the car at night so going to the DMV together will mean a day off work for both of us. Is that the only option (apart from towing)? He can't register it until I signed all the docs and handed the title over can he?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Drive it illegally is the other option.

If you get it from the dealer, you often get temp plates that are good for x number of days, but you don't get that option on private sales.

Down my way, you can register the car online and if you have plates from a previous car you could register those plates if they haven't been re-issued and they're the bog standard plates. Check the state to see if you can do that as well?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/register.htm

You can sign the document and its handed over and he owns it. Check out the link for the Sales tax implications and also how to register it all - if they want to move it - they tow it or drive illegally - or park it in a garage until they get the plates.

Last edited by goatherder; Sep 24th 2013 at 7:56 pm.