Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a usa bank account.

Opening a usa bank account.

Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough
Default Opening a usa bank account.

Hi there I'm buying a condo in Florida, and need to open a $account. So that I can make payments and also receive payments form the property agent.
I'm living in the uk.
Anyone ave any advise or know where to go. Ideally I would like to manage the account online.
Any help appreciated.
Many thanks
Graham
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a usa bank account.

Originally Posted by gjspain
...Anyone ave any advise or know where to go.

Yeah, you go to a bank and ask them to open an account.

Presuming you don't have SSN, means you won't get an interest baring account but that won't make any difference.

Most/all have some kind of online facility, some will be free, others will charge.

You'll probably want to use a currency exchange service to transfer money for a better rate/cost, something like xe.com though there have been some other recent recommendations. You can find those searching the main US forum.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough

I would need to open the account now, but will not be travelling to the us until may.
I can open a us account with HSBC, but they want stupid money each month,
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC have a very small presence in the US and you either need a massive average balance or pay a fee.

Most banks will charge you a fee anyway, especially as you wouldn't have a work pay cheque coming in monthly.

If you search the forums, you'll find a couple of people who have managed to open an account while not being present, mostly old threads, think Chase might have done it, after a lot of hassle, if you see the office in London.

But without being here in person, you'll struggle as most don't have a UK operation and even those that do, they tend to be separate entities and the bank needs to verify you are the person the ID you use match up.

So really, that leaves you with a holiday earlier than planned, or have people use something like xoom.com to transfer you the money.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

As an non resident, you should be able to open any type of account (interest bearing or non interest bearing). If it is an interest bearing account, then form 8-wben needs to be filed with the financial institution to not have US withholdings due to tax treaty between US and UK.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

I'd check if Capital One 360 (online banking) accepts international customers since it has no minimum deposit required, no fees, Debit/ATM card, free bill pay, free person to person transfers, free electronic checks (paper checks are issued to the recipient), and pays interest for their checking account.

https://home.capitalone360.com/onlin...nt?isBus=false

Many non residents also open US brokerage accounts.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 24th 2013 at 7:57 pm.