Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling a car

Selling a car

Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Mmm, Florida tags are applied to the license plate but they aren't easy to get off. And if I could get the tag off I'd have nowhere to put it because the new car would have a paper license-plate until a real one came through.

I'm pretty sure we just move the plate. But I'll ask the dealer just to make sure.

I own the car and have the title in-hand.
Ft Lauderdale, FL:

We just bought new truck, but still had 1 month left on other lease vehicle.
We paid, about $45, for now fancy (Printed by machine) 30 day temp TAG/Plate. Kept old TAG/Plate, on lease vehicle, until we returned it.
At dealership, I removed the TAG & placed it on the new truck after removing the temp TAG. I received new, registration from DMV, yellow sticker was marked VOID.
BUT, could have paid for, brand new (Different number etc) TAG/Plate at dealer, then remove & return old TAG/Plate & taken or mailed to DMV, they would have given, some (Rip off, think only give full year, not part of. Plus FL 1st year registration is a scam, ends on your birthday, even if paid for 1 week ago) refund.
The reason, people keep the old TAG/Plate, is they like the number, its Personal or to save some money.
Our TAG/Plate was perfect, unblemished so we kept it. In places like NYC, where Plates get knocked around, some people change them others put cruddy plates on $100k cars.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And in ME/MA, if you buy a car, doesn't matter if there's still valid inspection or registration tag, it's voided on sale and you've got to get new ones.
California used to change the plates every so often. As a young child, I remember that the plates were black with yellow letters and at about age of where I am able to actually remember things, the plates flipped over to yellow with black letters. In 1963, they flipped over to black with yellow and plates have not been uniformly replaced since. However, the black plates [ABC123] were replaced with blue plates in about 1971 [123ABC] and in 1980 went over to blue with 7 characters [1ABC123]. Shortly, the optional white reflecting plates with blue letters came out [2ABC123]. The white plates then became required in 1987. The 1986 Volvo that was in the family for 17 years was one of the last blue plates. So now, daughter's 1996 is 3ABC123, the 1998 is 4ABC123, the 2004 is 5ABC123, and they are rapidly going through the 6ABC123 series.

There is authorization that if you car qualifies as "vintage" you can use license plates from that era. So the packrats who never threw out the old plates are selling them. There is a restored 1962 Impala down the street with yellow plates with black letters.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Ft Lauderdale, FL:

We just bought new truck, but still had 1 month left on other lease vehicle.
We paid, about $45, for now fancy (Printed by machine) 30 day temp TAG/Plate. Kept old TAG/Plate, on lease vehicle, until we returned it.
At dealership, I removed the TAG & placed it on the new truck after removing the temp TAG. I received new, registration from DMV, yellow sticker was marked VOID.
BUT, could have paid for, brand new (Different number etc) TAG/Plate at dealer, then remove & return old TAG/Plate & taken or mailed to DMV, they would have given, some (Rip off, think only give full year, not part of. Plus FL 1st year registration is a scam, ends on your birthday, even if paid for 1 week ago) refund.
The reason, people keep the old TAG/Plate, is they like the number, its Personal or to save some money.
Our TAG/Plate was perfect, unblemished so we kept it. In places like NYC, where Plates get knocked around, some people change them others put cruddy plates on $100k cars.

Reg. Frank R.
Was this because the previous vehicle was leased?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Was this because the previous vehicle was leased?
No.

Leasing is just like owning for that period. Registration, TAGS, maintainance & Insurance is lessee, responsibility. Our first 4 leases, we got new plates, because wanted, new shiny plates on new vehicle. #5 we kept plates, because liked the number.
We then moved to Fl, registered the truck in FL, got Florida TAG/plate, we personally mailed the NY plates (2), back to NYS. New York does not trust Florida to destroy old plates, some States have agreements to destroy other States TAG/Plates. Also NYS, uses a window sticker registration & window sticker for inspection. Florida, has little yellow reg sticker you affix to plate each year, NO inspections on vehicles, thats another story.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I know this process will vary slightly between States (I'm in Florida). But all advice will be appreciated!

I'll be buying a new car soon and selling my current car privately. But I'm not sure what to do with the license plate and registration?

I've checked the Florida DMV website and the process seems to go something like:

1) Buy new car
2) Dealer "registers" vehicle with State under my old license plate
3) Transfer license plate to new car
4) Leave old car in a driveway (because it's no longer registered)
5) Sell old car whenever
6) New owner registers the old car ASAP

Do I really just swap the plate to the new car?

Has anyone done this before?
"4) Leave old car in a driveway (because it's no longer registered)"Be careful, some States, City limits HOA's, do not allow vehicles without Plates, even on own drive.

"5) Sell old car whenever"

Also, how will prospective buyer, be able to road test the car?

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

NO inspections on vehicles, thats another story. .
CA requires an emission test when title is transferred and then every other year after that. No bi-annual inspection is required of car less than 4 years old.

To prevent fraud, the testing machines are registered with and inspected by DMV. They used to issue "certificates" but now the results are sent instantly electronically to DMV.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Leasing is just like owning for that period. Registration, TAGS, maintainance & Insurance is lessee, responsibility. Our first 4 leases, we got new plates, because wanted, new shiny plates on new vehicle. #5 we kept plates, because liked the number.
We then moved to Fl, registered the truck in FL, got Florida TAG/plate, we personally mailed the NY plates (2), back to NYS. New York does not trust Florida to destroy old plates, some States have agreements to destroy other States TAG/Plates. Also NYS, uses a window sticker registration & window sticker for inspection. Florida, has little yellow reg sticker you affix to plate each year, NO inspections on vehicles, thats another story.

Reg. Frank R.
I thought maybe the lessor might have required a plate + tag on the car at all times.

After I moved from Illinois and got my FL plates I called the IL DMV to ask what to do with the old plates, they said I could keep them. I still have the IL plates in the boot. I'm sure I'll have trouble explaining that to the cops if they ever search my car!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"4) Leave old car in a driveway (because it's no longer registered)"Be careful, some States, City limits HOA's, do not allow vehicles without Plates, even on own drive.

"5) Sell old car whenever"

Also, how will prospective buyer, be able to road test the car?

Reg. Frank R.
This is why I keep thinking it's not just swapping the plates.

Although the car will be at a house with no HOA. And I'm sure the police will make an exception if I can prove I'm selling the car.... I hope!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
CA requires an emission test when title is transferred and then every other year after that. No bi-annual inspection is required of car less than 4 years old.

To prevent fraud, the testing machines are registered with and inspected by DMV. They used to issue "certificates" but now the results are sent instantly electronically to DMV.
In Florida, no vehicle inspections of any kind, thats why we see cars & trucks with bald tires, have actually seen a Hummer, with tires as bald as a babies bottom. Cars with broken lights, belching out smoke etc. Vehicle testing was stopped, because there was so much fraud, every year or so, the Senate, discusses, reinstating the inspections. Was turned down last time on the basis, would not be right to make people line up for long hours . UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I thought maybe the lessor might have required a plate + tag on the car at all times.

After I moved from Illinois and got my FL plates I called the IL DMV to ask what to do with the old plates, they said I could keep them. I still have the IL plates in the boot. I'm sure I'll have trouble explaining that to the cops if they ever search my car!

As I stated earlier, we sent our old plates back to NYC (Thats NYS law), got small refund.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

This is why I keep thinking it's not just swapping the plates.

Although the car will be at a house with no HOA. And I'm sure the police will make an exception if I can prove I'm selling the car.... I hope!

"This is why I keep thinking it's not just swapping the plates."

Now I see what you are saying, No not just a case of swapping the plates/TAGS:

Its not just swapping the plates, the dealer you are buying the new (New to you) car from, will do the registration paper work, you give him the money, usually $200??????, if you get new plates, goodbye $200, if you choose to use old plates, you will get a $59.40?????? refund from DMV, thats what we got.

Do not rely on Cops, being kind, thinking "Lets be nice to this guy", they are generally not that nice. Most Florida cops act like Storm Troopers, Rayban sunglasses & cargo pants.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"This is why I keep thinking it's not just swapping the plates."

Now I see what you are saying, No not just a case of swapping the plates/TAGS:

Its not just swapping the plates, the dealer you are buying the new (New to you) car from, will do the registration paper work, you give him the money, usually $200??????, if you get new plates, goodbye $200, if you choose to use old plates, you will get a $59.40?????? refund from DMV, thats what we got.

Do not rely on Cops, being kind, thinking "Lets be nice to this guy", they are generally not that nice. Most Florida cops act like Storm Troopers, Rayban sunglasses & cargo pants.

Reg. Frank R.
Great, so I have to peal that tag off?!!!

I'd still have a problem with the cops if I removed the tag from the old car though wouldn't I?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Great, so I have to peal that tag off?!!!

I'd still have a problem with the cops if I removed the tag from the old car though wouldn't I?

Another Limey, DO NOT PEEL OFF THE YELLOW TAG on plate. They the dealer, you will just put plate with yellow sticker on new vehicle. You will receive new registration card in mail, from DMV. This method only works if dealer is doing reg/tag. If you were to buy a used car from newspaper/neighbor, it would be different.

Each year or 2 years when you get, new yellow sticker, just place over the old sticker, or if feel the need try & peel old one off.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another Limey, DO NOT PEEL OFF THE YELLOW TAG on plate. They the dealer, you will just put plate with yellow sticker on new vehicle. You will receive new registration card in mail, from DMV. This method only works if dealer is doing reg/tag. If you were to buy a used car from newspaper/neighbor, it would be different.

Each year or 2 years when you get, new yellow sticker, just place over the old sticker, or if feel the need try & peel old one off.
Do we have our wires crossed?

Yes, the new car will be from a dealer. So, are you saying I do move the old plate to the new vehicle?

Perhaps I should just call the dealer now!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have our wires crossed?

Yes, the new car will be from a dealer. So, are you saying I do move the old plate to the new vehicle?

Perhaps I should just call the dealer now!
I'm thinking that the dealer would only put your old plates on your new car if you are doing a trade in with your old car. If you are selling your old car privately, you will need to keep the plates on that car for when you sell it. The dealer will give you a temp' registration sticker to put in your rear window, until you can get new plates from the DMV.