Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selling a car

Selling a car

Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a car

I know this process will vary slightly between States (I'm in Florida). But all advice will be appreciated!

I'll be buying a new car soon and selling my current car privately. But I'm not sure what to do with the license plate and registration?

I've checked the Florida DMV website and the process seems to go something like:

1) Buy new car
2) Dealer "registers" vehicle with State under my old license plate
3) Transfer license plate to new car
4) Leave old car in a driveway (because it's no longer registered)
5) Sell old car whenever
6) New owner registers the old car ASAP

Do I really just swap the plate to the new car?

Has anyone done this before?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I know this process will vary slightly between States (I'm in Florida). But all advice will be appreciated!

I'll be buying a new car soon and selling my current car privately. But I'm not sure what to do with the license plate and registration?

I've checked the Florida DMV website and the process seems to go something like:

1) Buy new car
5) Sell old car whenever

We bought a new car last week, the trade in had registration due to expire at the end of March, I still had the new sticker, but hadn't put it on. The dealer swapped the plates, registered the new one and just stuck the new sticker on the old plates on the new car

Confused yet?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We bought a new car last week, the trade in had registration due to expire at the end of March, I still had the new sticker, but hadn't put it on. The dealer swapped the plates, registered the new one and just stuck the new sticker on the old plates on the new car

Confused yet?
So you put the old plate on the new car?

Maybe I'll just ask the dealer when I go.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 7th 2010 at 4:29 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I just sold my car in Maryland (via Carmax, which actually gave me a good price) and they gave me the plates at the end and told me to mail them in or drop them at a DMV. If I was to buy a new car they would have issued new temp tags for the new car. The plates would not have carried over.

However, insurance often does carry over when you get a new car. I think in some places you have 7-30 days before you have to notify the insurance company that you have bought a new car and the old coverage protects the new one.

Again, like everything here, it depends on your state.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

yep,swap your plate off old car for your new car...you need a title to sell your old car......
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

So you put the old plate on the new car?

Maybe I'll just ask the dealer when I go.
Yep, that's what they did, we also called our ins' company from their office to stop it on the trade in and start it on the new one, the dealership needed proof of ins' to finish the paperwork.

Unfortunately, neither hubby nor I had the ins' card with us that day, he had emptied the trade in ready to get rid of it and forgot to put the paperwork back in it

although he did manage to forget the 'travel angel' hanging from the mirror, that has kept me safe in cars for over ten years!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

1) Buy new car
5) Sell old car whenever

Out of idle curiosity: are you talking about personalized plates? Then there would be a reason to change the plates. That is the only instance where on a intrastate sale where the plates would be changed, no? I've bought and sold many cars over the years and never had the plates changed. I know that it is especially prized if an older car still has the original license plates thereon -- a 1967 Stingray with the original black California plates is worth more than if it had the newer blue or white reflectorized plates.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what Mr. Folinsky said... I wonder if switching of the plates is a common occurence in other states. Granted, I've never owned a personalized license plate, but here in California, the plate generally stays with the vehicle unless it is a personalized plate. Fascinating...

When I've bought/sold private cars, I just head down to my friendly, neighborhood AAA office. Gotta love AAA and their DMV access!

Last edited by Moonshadow_Girl; Apr 7th 2010 at 7:10 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Out of idle curiosity: are you talking about personalized plates? Then there would be a reason to change the plates. That is the only instance where on a intrastate sale where the plates would be changed, no? I've bought and sold many cars over the years and never had the plates changed. I know that it is especially prized if an older car still has the original license plates thereon -- a 1967 Stingray with the original black California plates is worth more than if it had the newer blue or white reflectorized plates.
Not personalized plates, no.

From what I gather the registration is tied to the owner, not the car: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/buying_selling.html

So when I buy a new car I'm supposed to put the old plate on the new car, and keep the old car off the road until it's sold because it's no longer registered. When the old car is sold, the new owner goes to a local tax office to get it registered.

I assume the dealer registers the new car with the old license plate. Maybe I've got registration and license plate mixed up

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 7th 2010 at 7:12 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In MA, yes...in ME, kind of, privately that's what you do, but if you buy from a dealer you get a temp plate till you've registered the plate with the car and then you stick it on.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
Ditto what Mr. Folinsky said... I wonder if switching of the plates is a common occurence in other states. Granted, I've never owned a personalized license plate, but here in California, the plate generally stays with the vehicle unless it is a personalized plate. Fascinating...

When I've bought/sold private cars, I just head down to my friendly, neighborhood AAA office. Gotta love AAA and their DMV access!
When you register the plate in ME/MA, the plate is registered to you, not the car, so you take it with you and only give it back to the state if you move out of the state or get a vanity plate.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From what I gather the registration is tied to the owner, not the car: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/buying_selling.html

So when I buy a new car I'm supposed to put the old plate on the new car, and keep the old car off the road until it's sold because it's no longer registered. When the old car is sold, the new owner goes to a local tax office to get it registered.

I assume the dealer registers the new car with the old license plate. Maybe I've got registration and license plate mixed up

What you are being told is exactly what happened to us last week, we have actually had the same plates on three different cars now. The dealer registered our new car for us, with old plates.

When we traded in a car in Oklahoma, we were handed the old plates to put on the new car ourselves, the new one had a temporary sticker for registration in the back window.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The Florida site does not say the "plate" -- it says the "tag." I just updated the tag on one of the cars just yesterday [California reregistration goes on a rolling basis. The car purchased in March 2004 gets a new tag every March, the one in August gets a new tag in August. The other car was "pre-owned" and still has the original plates].

Possession of the "pink slip" [which haven't been pink in years] is evidence of title. So when you sell the car, assuming there is no loan on it, you sign over the pink and the new owner is supposed to go to DMV within 10 days and re-register the car. As a way of protection, the pink usually has a bill of sale tear-off which the buyer signs and the seller, for her own protection, notifies the DMV of the sale.

California law will not all registration by an alien who cannot show lawful status in the US. So for the older cars, there is a market for cars which show 10 or 11 months left on the tags -- it increases the price that can be fetched for the car! The seller is WELL advised to notify the DMV of the sale. When parking tickets are unpaid, the State pays them and places a lien on the vehicle.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The Florida site does not say the "plate" -- it says the "tag." I just updated the tag on one of the cars just yesterday [California reregistration goes on a rolling basis. The car purchased in March 2004 gets a new tag every March, the one in August gets a new tag in August. The other car was "pre-owned" and still has the original plates].
Mmm, Florida tags are applied to the license plate but they aren't easy to get off. And if I could get the tag off I'd have nowhere to put it because the new car would have a paper license-plate until a real one came through.

I'm pretty sure we just move the plate. But I'll ask the dealer just to make sure.

I own the car and have the title in-hand.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Mmm, Florida tags are applied to the license plate but they aren't easy to get off. And if I could get the tag off I'd have nowhere to put it because the new car would have a paper license-plate until a real one came through.
And in ME/MA, if you buy a car, doesn't matter if there's still valid inspection or registration tag, it's voided on sale and you've got to get new ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.