Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service System

Selective Service System

Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selective Service System

What the hell is it and why did I get a registration card from them today?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

if you are under 26, you eligible for the draft.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thats crazy! You would think that something like that they would send you a letter too, not just a card!
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you can register at www.sss.org

I got my permanent residency at age 25, and never registered. I tried to register but it was too late, I was 27.

THERE IS A BOX to tick on the N400 if you ever apply for citizenship that asks if you registered. So the next question I ask is I could have registered, but didn't. If I ever apply for citizenship, could this deny it?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Selective Service System

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
You just better pray they don't bring back the draft, or your ass will be in Iraq, PDQ.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by manc1976
you can register at www.sss.org

I got my permanent residency at age 25, and never registered. I tried to register but it was too late, I was 27.

THERE IS A BOX to tick on the N400 if you ever apply for citizenship that asks if you registered. So the next question I ask is I could have registered, but didn't. If I ever apply for citizenship, could this deny it?
Unfortunately, yes you can be denied US citizenship is you failed to register for SSS. You are also ineligible to receive federal school loans or hold a federal job. If you missed the deadline of 26, you are buggered (sorry manc). SSS has a strict policy of not granting any exceptions, no matter how valid of an argument you have. I worked with SSS for several years and would receive hundereds of letters from people pleading for a waiver after they missed the cut off at 26. SSS ignored them.

By law, you are supposed to register within 30 days of your 18th birthday or within 30 days of entry. If you wait beyond that, the USCIS has been known to reject status adjustment applications because you are an "undesirable character" for not fulfilling your requirements.

A draft is highly unlikely. The Pentagon does not want draftees in the military and would like to see the entire system dismantled. Congress has killed SSS twice in the past few years, but it keeps getting saved at the last moment. The agency is not at all popular and will probably be terminated in the near future, but it is best to register so you don't have problems down the road.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:37 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
Unfortunately, yes you can be denied US citizenship is you failed to register for SSS. You are also ineligible to receive federal school loans or hold a federal job. If you missed the deadline of 26, you are buggered (sorry manc). SSS has a strict policy of not granting any exceptions, no matter how valid of an argument you have. I worked with SSS for several years and would receive hundereds of letters from people pleading for a waiver after they missed the cut off at 26. SSS ignored them.

By law, you are supposed to register within 30 days of your 18th birthday or within 30 days of entry. If you wait beyond that, the USCIS has been known to reject status adjustment applications because you are an "undesirable character" for not fulfilling your requirements.

A draft is highly unlikely. The Pentagon does not want draftees in the military and would like to see the entire system dismantled. Congress has killed SSS twice in the past few years, but it keeps getting saved at the last moment. The agency is not at all popular and will probably be terminated in the near future, but it is best to register so you don't have problems down the road.
Yes its pretty serious and you must register within the 30 day limit or it can be serious pain in the ass.

I recently applied to go to back to college and in order to support my application for financial aid i had to be either registered or produce a letter from Selective Service confirming that i was exempt from registration. I entered after my 26th (i was 33) so didnt have to register and got the letter ok. Without this you will never get federal student aid, a federal job and i undertsand it does your citizenship application no good as well.

Best get your form in asap.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What I don't get is why at no point though getting a K-1 visa and applying for AOS this hasn't been mentioned? If it's so important why aren't you told at your interview or sent some kind of letter saying you need to do it?
Lastly, I didn't register but I am registered. How is that possible?

It's all mad as fish to me.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:07 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

What I don't get is why at no point though getting a K-1 visa and applying for AOS this hasn't been mentioned? If it's so important why aren't you told at your interview or sent some kind of letter saying you need to do it?
Lastly, I didn't register but I am registered. How is that possible?

It's all mad as fish to me.
Its pretty stupid. I had never heard of it until Harvard University told me my application for financial aid was no good until i confirmed my status with Selective Service. This was around 5 months after i entered the USA and got perm residence. Thank god i was over 26 at time of entry and had an valid exemption.

If you didnt apply how are you registered? did you tick a box somewhere else?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is the first I've ever heard of it. I almost chucked it in the bin because I thought it was junk mail, glad I didn't now!
I have no clue how I got registered, maybe USCIS did it while they proccess my AOS. Who knows!
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:26 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
you are buggered (sorry manc).
I was 26 already by the time I received my notice of initial permanent residency, whatever, couldn't give a monkeys either way.
c'est la vie.

their loss not mine.

Last edited by manc1976; Mar 12th 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 6:06 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by manc1976
I was 26 already by the time I received my notice of initial permanent residency, whatever, couldn't give a monkeys either way.
c'est la vie.

their loss not mine.
You are only required to register if you are a male citizen or permanent resident aged 18-25 at time of entry/perm residence.

If you were 26 on the exact date you legally became a permanent resident then you should be exempt from registration.

If you look at the Selective Service web site there is info at the bottom about getting a letter confirming your status. you fill in a form send them a copy of your passport, greencard etc and they tell you if you are exempt and give you a letter proving it. once you have that if anyone queries it later just produce the letter and you are fine. I got one for my college application and it only took around 3-4 weeks but now i can get federal student aid ok.

regards,

Duncan
Old Mar 13th 2004, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
You are only required to register if you are a male citizen or permanent resident aged 18-25 at time of entry/perm residence.

If you were 26 on the exact date you legally became a permanent resident then you should be exempt from registration.

If you look at the Selective Service web site there is info at the bottom about getting a letter confirming your status. you fill in a form send them a copy of your passport, greencard etc and they tell you if you are exempt and give you a letter proving it. once you have that if anyone queries it later just produce the letter and you are fine. I got one for my college application and it only took around 3-4 weeks but now i can get federal student aid ok.

regards,

Duncan
I moved here when i was 26 on an H1-B, got married and am now waiting for AOS. Because I moved here after my 26th birthday I DON"T have to register with the SSS (Not that I would ever go off to war, i'd be on the 1st plane to blighty)......have I got that right?????
Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

My son, who is 18 had to register. I think it is very unfair if you are not a citizen that you have to register. I would not have him fight in the UK armed services, why would I have him fight in the US armed services if they can't give him citizenship first. We are green card holders and will apply for citizenship when the time comes. Then I would be prepared for him to join the armed services if he wants, but not before.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service System

The Selective Service system is essential for the US' forthcomming bid to take over the world. You did know we're planning to take over the world didn't you? Where the Nazis failed, we shall succeed...BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Well, you aksed what it was for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.