Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service System

Selective Service System

Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:40 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Are there any other countries that operate a similar draft type system for its young men folk?
I wouldn't want to be 18 and living in Israel. Three years compulsory armed service for men and twenty months for women. Plus you are pretty much guaranteed to see action.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service System

Originally posted by Duncs
Its only that cost at private schools. state schools charge less. As a comparison i have place at Harvard(i love that it sounds so great, now my heads swelling again) its $30,000 a year tuition but they offered me $18,000 of grant so in truth its around $12,000 a year plus living costs. Still expensive but hopefully it opens doors and will justify the expense. Alternatively i have a place at the University of Mississippi Law School(state school) which is $6,500 a year as a Miss resident, Lots cheaper but has far less value outside Miss. Its like all things here you get what you pay for but the UK is catching up fast. Of course a degree from Harvard is way better than a degree from an average Uk uni. Equally an average U.S uni is not better than a UK one and possibly worse.

You just have to choose which you prefer and go from there.

regards,

Duncan
Harvard...I'm very impressed! Well done on such an accomplishment. I have a masters degree from Imperial in London, which is world class in the sciences, but hardly anyone has heard of it here
I would stick to the Harvard offer, I personally would not be able to live for Mississippi for more than 4 minutes, let alone 4 years, and like you say a law degree from Miss is useless anywhere else, but Harvard will unlock a thousand doors. In the words of Del boy "you know it makes sense"!!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I have a HND from Liverpool John Moores, which is great if you ever need to know how to nick hubcaps and swindle more out of your Giro.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:24 pm
mickj

Default Re: Selective Service System

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Harvard...I'm very impressed! Well done on such an accomplishment. I have a masters degree from Imperial in London, which is world class in the sciences, but hardly anyone has heard of it here

Hello there,

I have heard of it....i got my degree from kings college, only because i think its better than Imperial :lecture: In my case, am able to say KCL which is part of the University of London. Kind of like saying you went to Oxford, which college at oxford?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Are there any other countries that operate a similar draft type system for its young men folk? In this day and age of front line women soldiers and equal opportunities, does the SSS not break many federal discrimination laws? Not being an expert though, I was under the impression women could fly fast jets, command warships and drive tanks. Why not be drafted then?
The drafting of women has been a touchy issue for SSS in the last decade, especially since women now can volunteerly hold most jobs in the military (some resent the fact that women can take jobs in peace time, but in war, only men will be forced into the military).

SSS evades the issue by saying that it would take an act of Congress to change the current system. The last time the system was reviewed, Clinton said that the system could meet the needs of the military in a time of crisis, so there was no need to change it.

As I have been told by officials, the Pentagon does not want a draft, and they really don't want women.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!

they really don't want women.

Well, no-one would want to put me in charge of a gun/weapons when I've got PMT! :scared:
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I think Italy still has some form of compulsory military service. My daughter's boyfriend was in the military for 2 years when he was about 20 I think. He said the government was thinking of doing away with it now.