Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service?

Selective Service?

Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service?

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But a lot of the National Guard was brought up and deployed, an indication that the 'regular' forces were a bit short.

Regards, JEff
The DOD was reorganized after the Vietnam War. There was a belief among senior officers was that relying on draft was less politically unpalatable than calling up the Reserves or National Guard. So, the idea was more tightly integrate the NG and Reserves into the active forces such that the it would be quite difficult to deploy without NG or Reserves -- and thereby less likely that there would be politically unpopular deployments. Decades later, the law of unintended consequences kicked in.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Registering, yes. But when it comes to actually being drafted by one government or the other then what US status may become important? If the US status is PR, then if both governments go after the person at the same time then the country of citizenship would take precedence? If the US status is citizen, then the country where the person happens to be at the time might, as a practical matter, dictate?

Regards, JEff
Or the US could bomb the hell out of the UK until he was handed over.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Or the US could bomb the hell out of the UK until he was handed over.
I suppose I was assuming the US & UK would be allies. Not necessarily going to be the case. Our guy will probably be Interned, or shot!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I suppose I was assuming the US & UK would be allies. Not necessarily going to be the case. Our guy will probably be Interned, or shot!
Or at least water boarded.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I can't imagine a war that America got involved in where the UK would not be allies, unless it involved Argentina and the Falklands, or some utterly absurd adventure like the storming of Grenada, which IMO made the Iraq war look like a well thought out good idea!

I think most of Europe thinks of the UK as America's poodle anyway after the first and second Iraq/Gulf wars and Afghanistan, where the UK was the only country that supported all three wars from beginning to end with more than a token force.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can't imagine a war that America got involved in where the UK would not be allies, unless it involved Argentina and the Falklands, or some utterly absurd adventure like the storming of Grenada, which IMO made the Iraq war look like a well thought out good idea!

I think most of Europe thinks of the UK as America's poodle anyway after the first and second Iraq/Gulf wars and Afghanistan, where the UK was the only country that supported all three wars from beginning to end with more than a token force.
If the US invaded Canada, I think the UK would probably have a few strong words to say before joining the US.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I know some dual-national US/UK citizens who were subject to conscription from both countries during the 60's. From what I understand, there was an agreement part of the NATO Treaty that took care of it.

From World War II, there were situations of dual nationals of belligerents, at least on the US end of things, conscription into the ranks of the enemy was tolerated. However, if one went beyond being a simple enlisted man, there were potential problems. There is case law on this.

I have one Israeli friend who served as a conscript in the Six-day War and then immigrated to the US where he was subject to conscription for the Vietnam War. He applied for Conscientious Objector status saying with a wink and a nod that he formed a deep religious and spiritual objection to war after his combat experiences in the Israeli Army. His draft board granted the application even though technically he was not entitled to the exemption.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If the US invaded Canada, I think the UK would probably have a few strong words to say before joining the US.
But that is a war I cannot imagine!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that is a war I cannot imagine!
You know some fevered mind in the Pentagon has run a scenario on it though. Raving mad Quebecois high on poutine gravy seize power in Canada and shut down the Keystone pipeline provoking an international incident. To secure their oil supply the US invades Canada...
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You know some fevered mind in the Pentagon has run a scenario on it though. Raving mad Quebecois high on poutine gravy seize power in Canada and shut down the Keystone pipeline provoking an international incident. To secure their oil supply the US invades Canada...
It was called War Plan Red (Against Britain, but included invasion of Canada)

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 4th 2013 at 10:05 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Their land is on our oil...so what do they expect?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More likely the other way around:

Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

This may have been covered already, but when I applied for a federal job I was required to present a Selective Service exemption letter. Without it I was ineligible for hiring. So make sure you have that if you think an employer might want it.