Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service?

Selective Service?

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

sam666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selective Service?

Can someone explain what Selective Service is. From my research I gauged that it similar to Jury Service, or at least I think. Just Planning my move and came across this and will be applicable when i move. Any help is most welcome thank you.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service?

Originally Posted by sam666
Can someone explain what Selective Service is. From my research I gauged that it similar to Jury Service, or at least I think. Just Planning my move and came across this and will be applicable when i move. Any help is most welcome thank you.
Google is your friend.

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

I have moved your thread over to the US Forum.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It is the draft but there currently isn't a draft. All 18-26 year old males are supposed to sign up for the selective service and if they don't, they can't ever get government grants, possibly government loans, federal jobs, and possibly even jobs with contractors that have contracts with the federal government.

Immigrants must do the same if between the ages of 18-26 but if they arrive later, then they are eligible for government benefits. If they don't sign up for the selective service when eligible, they can't naturalize until the age of 31.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
It is the draft but there currently isn't a draft. All 18-26 year old males are supposed to sign up for the selective service and if they don't, they can't ever get government grants, possibly government loans, federal jobs, and possibly even jobs with contractors that have contracts with the federal government.

Immigrants must do the same if between the ages of 18-26 but if they arrive later, then they are eligible for government benefits. If they don't sign up for the selective service when eligible, they can't naturalize until the age of 31.
Ok thank you, the website scared me to be frank. This is the first I heard of it to be honest. So what are the chances of being drafted?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you, the website scared me to be frank. This is the first I heard of it to be honest. So what are the chances of being drafted?
Depends on Little Kim.

Sorry just joking.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

So what are the chances of being drafted?
Realistically, the chance of you being drafted is zero.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you're between 18-26 and there was an ongoing draft... pretty much 100%. However, there hasn't been a draft in the US since 1973... so it's been a while. Chances today... pretty much 0%.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Depends on Little Kim.

Sorry just joking.
its ok lol, I dont get the reference anyway.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
Realistically, the chance of you being drafted is zero.
Thank You, the website is so confusing.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're between 18-26 and there was an ongoing draft... pretty much 100%. However, there hasn't been a draft in the US since 1973... so it's been a while. Chances today... pretty much 0%.

Ian
Thank you for your insight.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the US and China were to go to war, the chances are near zero. If North Korea attempted to launch a missile at the US, the chances would probably also be near zero because they would be obliterated with air, sea, and missile power.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Although we're out of Iraq and preparing to get out of Afghanistan, the armed forces are stretched a bit thin and definitely weary. If we have to go into Korea, who knows what human resources might be required?

Regards, JEff

its ok lol, I dont get the reference anyway.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Depends on Little Kim.

Sorry just joking.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Unless the US and China were to go to war, the chances are near zero.
And in that situation there are other far more pressing concerns - like the US going bankrupt overnight as the Chinese dump their Dollar bonds...
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably start watching reruns of *M*A*S*H* just in case.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Given the current economic situation, the US armed forces have more volunteers than they need, and war has been steadily more automated and less labor intensive since WWII. I sincerely doubt even a war with China would lead to a draft.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I sincerely doubt even a war with China would lead to a draft.
It's a bit mind-boggling to think that the Chinese could lose 1,000,000 people per day... and still be able to wage war for 3+ years!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.