Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Secret Santa"- Your Experiences?

"Secret Santa"- Your Experiences?

Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Secret Santa"- Your Experiences?

Have any of you participated in this "ritual"? Never heard of it until I started working in the US and this year will be the second year I'm participating.

For those who're not familiar with the ritual, those who wish to participate put their names into a hat and then you draw out a name (not your own of course).

The person who's name is on the paper is your "Secret Santa" recipient.

In my workplace, a week is specified when Secret Santas will be discreetly leaving presents for their recipient. The Santa may give as many as six small gifts (one per day for six days), culiminating with a big present on the seventh day.

No-one in my workplace made the groundrules that clear to me last year even though I asked so I won't be giving a gift every day to my recipient. Especially since she and I don't even work in the same building so I hardly know her.

I think this Secret Santa biz is a bit daft really. I'd much rather give a single gift at the end of the week than buy silly little gifts.

Also, in order to give some inspiration to Secret Santas, we put together a wish list but I think you can guess what was on mine. Yes, anything with a penguin motif!!!

Does your workplace/family have any interesting Christmas traditions?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Secret Santa"- Your Experiences?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have any of you participated in this "ritual"? Never heard of it until I started working in the US and this year will be the second year I'm participating.

For those who're not familiar with the ritual, those who wish to participate put their names into a hat and then you draw out a name (not your own of course).

The person who's name is on the paper is your "Secret Santa" recipient.

In my workplace, a week is specified when Secret Santas will be discreetly leaving presents for their recipient. The Santa may give as many as six small gifts (one per day for six days), culiminating with a big present on the seventh day.

No-one in my workplace made the groundrules that clear to me last year even though I asked so I won't be giving a gift every day to my recipient. Especially since she and I don't even work in the same building so I hardly know her.

I think this Secret Santa biz is a bit daft really. I'd much rather give a single gift at the end of the week than buy silly little gifts.

Also, in order to give some inspiration to Secret Santas, we put together a wish list but I think you can guess what was on mine. Yes, anything with a penguin motif!!!

Does your workplace/family have any interesting Christmas traditions?
Yep, did it in the office lat year.
I said I liked fishing and the woman who picked me gave me a 4" long toy boat with a bear sat in it fishing.
Shelf present or what.
The guy I picked I gave him a Larry the Cable Guy dvd and he was thrilled.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I have done it a few times in the UK. (Secret Santa too )

The worst ones are when it's blind - you have to buy a present that would be suitable for anyone and then you have a kind of raffle with the presents. Mind you, we are a fairly small department who all know each other pretty well so it's ok - I'd hate to have to buy something "thoughtful" for someone I hardly knew!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Never been involved in such, antisocial git that I am....

If the Secret Santa fate were to befall me, I think I would have to give my victim seventeen pieces of flair and go home for the holiday.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:11 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I have done it a few times in the UK. (Secret Santa too )
ROTFL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a load of poo to me, MIL does it at school between the teachers, and every year, everyone bitches because the presents are shite and they can't be arsed with it, yet each year they do...I don't see the point in giving some random trout a shite gift, just give presents to your mates or not at all I say
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

We used to do it in Prep school only it was called Kris Kindle (sp?)
I got roped into it a couple of years ago but forgot to buy the pressie.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
We used to do it in Prep school only it was called Kris Kindle (sp?)
I got roped into it a couple of years ago but forgot to buy the pressie.
MIL said one of the teachers that's a prime git gives his secret santa gift that he gets to the person he's supposed to give to....now that's tight *l*
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:47 am
Just Joined

DannyC will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: "Secret Santa"- Your Experiences?

I take part in a Secret Santa each year at work. We restrict it down to just the team level, around 16 people, which makes sure that you know everyone you could possibly draw quite well. It is all carried out anonymously and that leads to great debate as to who bought what for who. Deeply sad I know, but it beats working. You can have great evil joy by buying the right present and making the victim squirm with embarrassment when they have to unveil the present in the presence of all the other team members . It’s a great way to bring the team together and release some of the stress the job brings. It does depend upon the make-up of your team, but on the whole, I would recommend it as worth doing.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:43 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
MIL said one of the teachers that's a prime git gives his secret santa gift that he gets to the person he's supposed to give to....now that's tight *l*
Ouch, that hurts! I'm thinking scratch lottery tickets this year. Beats trying to think of something personal, for someone you don't really know!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Ouch, that hurts! I'm thinking scratch lottery tickets this year. Beats trying to think of something personal, for someone you don't really know!
Unless they win