Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Second thoughts.

Second thoughts.

Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second thoughts.

Originally Posted by Grapes
We're giving ourselves a year then we will take stock. My fiance is very keen to try life in the UK at some point, she absolutely loves it here but for a number of reasons it made more sense for us to begin our lives together over there. My gut feeling is that we'll be very happy in Georgia and won't be back to the UK any time soon, but who knows.
If you are seriously thinking of taking your then wife back to live in the UK, may I make a few suggestions?

It is very difficult to bring a spouse to the UK if you are not currently living there and have employment that generates a certain amount of income. You need only to go the forum "Moving Back To The UK" and look at their immigration section to see what that entails. It will definitely not be an easy thing to do.

Also since you will be here in the US eventually as a Permanent Resident married to a USC, you will be eligible to file for naturalization 90 days before the third anniversary of getting your green card and after the third wedding anniversary. I urge you to do this as it simplifies returning to the US if things do not work out for you both in the UK or if you have children who will have dual citizenship. Your wife should then apply for naturalization in the UK when she is eligible for the very same reasons.

I know you are just thinking about getting here and getting married but please keep this information in the back of your mind.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
If you are seriously thinking of taking your then wife back to live in the UK, may I make a few suggestions?

It is very difficult to bring a spouse to the UK if you are not currently living there and have employment that generates a certain amount of income. You need only to go the forum "Moving Back To The UK" and look at their immigration section to see what that entails. It will definitely not be an easy thing to do.

Also since you will be here in the US eventually as a Permanent Resident married to a USC, you will be eligible to file for naturalization 90 days before the third anniversary of getting your green card and after the third wedding anniversary. I urge you to do this as it simplifies returning to the US if things do not work out for you both in the UK or if you have children who will have dual citizenship. Your wife should then apply for naturalization in the UK when she is eligible for the very same reasons.

I know you are just thinking about getting here and getting married but please keep this information in the back of your mind.
Thank you, I understand it's not going to be easy if we ever did decide to move back but we're not going to rule anything out. That said at the moment, the very idea of going through all of this again in reverse is too much to even consider! The point you raised about naturalization is very valid and definitely something I will do when the time comes.

Right now, I'm just going to deal with the big things one at a time; firstly focus on getting over there, then the wedding and finally AOS and job hunting... Lots to keep me occupied for the time being. Work is a big thing for me, actually; I've worked my whole life and never been unemployed for a day, let alone a few months. That's something I'm finding it very difficult to adjust to and not knowing what I'll be doing job-wise really does give me The Fear!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grapes
... Work is a big thing for me, actually; I've worked my whole life and never been unemployed for a day, let alone a few months. That's something I'm finding it very difficult to adjust to and not knowing what I'll be doing job-wise really does give me The Fear!
Let's keep our fingers crossed that you'll be able to see it as a well-deserved rest, and an opportunity to enjoy some much-needed time with your fiancée and explore your new surroundings. Perhaps you could also use that time to be proactive in creating an American-style resume (they are formatted quite differently to our CVs!), and preparing cover letters for employers that most appeal to you.

I'm moving over on a CR-1 later this year, so will be eligible to work immediately. But my husband and I are still hoping to be able to afford a week or two off, to quaff cheap wine and eat too many wings in our local, finally without the dreaded 'goodbye' looming on the horizon.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

This was all very useful for me to read, too. Thank you, Rete.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KK85
Let's keep our fingers crossed that you'll be able to see it as a well-deserved rest, and an opportunity to enjoy some much-needed time with your fiancée and explore your new surroundings. Perhaps you could also use that time to be proactive in creating an American-style resume (they are formatted quite differently to our CVs!), and preparing cover letters for employers that most appeal to you.

I'm moving over on a CR-1 later this year, so will be eligible to work immediately. But my husband and I are still hoping to be able to afford a week or two off, to quaff cheap wine and eat too many wings in our local, finally without the dreaded 'goodbye' looming on the horizon.
The dreaded Goodbye! You've got that right, KK85... We've really made the most of all of our trips on both sides of the Atlantic but that clock ticking over our heads on every visit takes so much out of you especially coming into the last couple of days, doesn't it. At the end of the day, the reason I'm doing all of this is to spend my life with the girl I fell in love with so everything else - no matter how difficult - is secondary to that.

No idea what's in store for us but it sure is going to be fun finding out!