Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Searching flights online

Searching flights online

Old May 13th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Searching flights online

Not sure how true this is and wondering if anyone can confirm or deny......

Someone once told me when you search online for a flight, the more times a date and flight details get a hit, the more chance there is of the flight price going up.

The logic behind this (apparently) is that the airline can track the number of hits, therefore alerting them to the fact there could be a demand for said flight, so they increase the price.

I'm sure there are many of us who keep an eye on certain flights and take a bit of a gamble, hoping the price might go lower, but after being told the above, now I'm hesitant to keep checking every day. Or am I being very gullible?
Old May 13th 2009, 9:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching flights online

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa

Someone once told me when you search online for a flight, the more times a date and flight details get a hit, the more chance there is of the flight price going up.

The logic behind this (apparently) is that the airline can track the number of hits, therefore alerting them to the fact there could be a demand for said flight, so they increase the price.

I'm sure there are many of us who keep an eye on certain flights and take a bit of a gamble, hoping the price might go lower, but after being told the above, now I'm hesitant to keep checking every day. Or am I being very gullible?
Thats a new one on me, and it could work the other way,that folk are checking and not buying because its to expensive so they put the price down.

Cindy will know
Old May 13th 2009, 10:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

All but the smallest airlines run very sophisticated reservation management software. It can certainly do what you say if you are using the airlines reservation site to check.

If you are using a third party site then most likely they will not pass the inquiry through to the airlines site unless you reach the stage where they need to check seat availability.

The whole idea of the software is to sell the maximum number of seats producing the most amount of revenue for the flight.

One thing to bear in mind in your scenario. The software can detect the inquiries and tell you are not booking. If the flight is under booked or not receiving the number of sales the software expects it can lower the price. How it works depends on how the airlines has programmed the system.

Last edited by lansbury; May 13th 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Searching flights online

A great site to use (not just for domestic and international flights but for hotels and car rentals too) is:

http://www.kayak.com (the British version is http://www.kayak.co.uk )

For heavily discounted packages with flights (including quite often the UK, Paris etc.) then it's good to look at:

http://www.lastminute.com

and - I haven't used the following but they're 'bookmarked' in my laptop after being recommended in the past by other posters on Brit Expats:

http://www.bt-store.com

http://www.go-today.com (if going on a quick trip to the UK it can work out cheaper than just paying for a flight alone and you get hotel accommodation too, which you don't need to stay at if you don't want to)
Old May 14th 2009, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa

Yep I heard that a while ago.

Where's Cindy?
Old May 14th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

viceversa is an unknown quantity at this point

Being an airline pricing manager, I may be able to shed some light on this...

There is a shred of truth to this story, but generally speaking, no, airlines don't have the capability to track "hits" on flight searches and changes the prices in response. The resources required to do this would be too expensive, given the return.

What does happen, though, is that when you search for and select a flight, about the time you get to the stage of selecting a seat assignment, the airline takes that seat out of its available inventory. If you then decide not to complete the booking, there is a delay in getting that seat back into inventory. In the meantime the reduced inventory could have resulted in a higher price (if that was the last east available at that particular price). Once the seat is released back into inventory the price should go back to where it was before. Unless someone else bought it in the meantime of course!
Old May 14th 2009, 3:11 pm
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by viceversa
Being an airline pricing manager, I may be able to shed some light on this...

There is a shred of truth to this story, but generally speaking, no, airlines don't have the capability to track "hits" on flight searches and changes the prices in response. The resources required to do this would be too expensive, given the return.

What does happen, though, is that when you search for and select a flight, about the time you get to the stage of selecting a seat assignment, the airline takes that seat out of its available inventory. If you then decide not to complete the booking, there is a delay in getting that seat back into inventory. In the meantime the reduced inventory could have resulted in a higher price (if that was the last east available at that particular price). Once the seat is released back into inventory the price should go back to where it was before. Unless someone else bought it in the meantime of course!
I am wondering if I should book flights at my end for the trip to England. If we delay any more, we won't be able to even go. Does anyone know if you need to put passport details in over here, to book an international flight?
Old May 14th 2009, 3:12 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viceversa
I didn't think that was the case given that the seating maps you can pull up rarely are a "real time" view of what is available given that many of those seats are not released until flight check-in.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
I am wondering if I should book flights at my end for the trip to England. If we delay any more, we won't be able to even go. Does anyone know if you need to put passport details in over here, to book an international flight?
I don't understand what you mean by this 'I am wondering if I should book flights at my end for the trip to England.'

I always have to put in PP details.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
Didn't you happen to keep a copy of your passport ID page with the number on it?
I saw your other post about the importance of this trip.. My family keep copies of our passport pages for each other since we travel a lot; you should be able to update the pp number *after* the ticket is booked, if you put your current number in there for booking.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:18 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
All but the smallest airlines run very sophisticated reservation management software. It can certainly do what you say if you are using the airlines reservation site to check.
Their software is not that sophisticated - it still runs on mainframe systems built out in the 1950's and 60's.
What the OP is asking about absolutely does not happen, though airlines do alter prices throughout the day based on the times people usually book flights.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Their software is not that sophisticated - it still runs on mainframe systems built out in the 1950's and 60's.
What the OP is asking about absolutely does not happen, though airlines do alter prices throughout the day based on the times people usually book flights.
You obviously haven't seen British Airways passenger revenue management system. It is very sophisticated and does just what I said, or so they claimed.

Last edited by lansbury; May 15th 2009 at 5:21 am.