Reload this Page >

Schools for DC - Washington/Maryland/Virginia

Schools for DC - Washington/Maryland/Virginia

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

gonyosoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools for DC - Washington/Maryland/Virginia

Hi All,

Been looking at taking a job in DC, well Silver Spring, but have two young children 6 and 8 and wanting to know more about whether there is a good school nearby.

I know there is the British School in Georgetown DC, but that looks very expensive.

Can anyone advise on whether the kids could find a good primary school equivalent near Silver Spring?

We'd almost certainly come back to the UK after 2 or 3 years.

Thanks so much for any advice!
C
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools for DC - Washington/Maryland/Virginia

You might want to take a look at the site dcurbanmom.com. You can post there anonymously (in fact, it's encourage) but please note that it gets to be a bit of a flame war at times. They have a special section for MD schools and can give you some advice 'from the ground'.

Here is the MD Public School forum (public = government funded). http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/show/44.page

Is the job in Silver Spring? What is your tolerance for commuting? Montgomery County is generally recognized as having the better schools in the area, but with everything in US schooling it comes down to exactly where you are living, i.e. which side of the street even. You'll need to remember this in your apartment hunt.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:55 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You might want to take a look at the site dcurbanmom.com. You can post there anonymously (in fact, it's encourage) but please note that it gets to be a bit of a flame war at times. They have a special section for MD schools and can give you some advice 'from the ground'.

Here is the MD Public School forum (public = government funded). http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/show/44.page

Is the job in Silver Spring? What is your tolerance for commuting? Montgomery County is generally recognized as having the better schools in the area, but with everything in US schooling it comes down to exactly where you are living, i.e. which side of the street even. You'll need to remember this in your apartment hunt.
I'd concur. We live in NW DC; looked at British School of Washington and heard mixed reports. In the end, my daughter (5) got into a good Elementary under DCPS and my son (3) attends a church school which is around $18k/year. Generally pleased with both, although less emphasis on reading than I would have liked.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:09 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gonyosoma
Hi All,

Been looking at taking a job in DC, well Silver Spring, but have two young children 6 and 8 and wanting to know more about whether there is a good school nearby.

I know there is the British School in Georgetown DC, but that looks very expensive.

Can anyone advise on whether the kids could find a good primary school equivalent near Silver Spring?

We'd almost certainly come back to the UK after 2 or 3 years.

Thanks so much for any advice!
C
That 20 mins from me. I have a friend in Silver Spring with kids. Do you still need an answer?

P.S. The school you are looking for is an "Elementary School".
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The OP hasn't been back since posting the original question. Just saying.