Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for obtaining a drivers licence in California please!!

Advice for obtaining a drivers licence in California please!!

Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Jess_cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Advice for obtaining a drivers licence in California please!!

Hi there!

I have been considered for a job in California (Roseville to be exact) and am starting to plan the big move out there from Oxford which is where I currently reside.

I have an American passport as my father is American so getting residency/visa/green card does not apply to me (Thank God). I do need advice however on obtaining a California driving license as I will need to drive as part of the job, the problem is, I have never attempted even a driving test before in the UK as it is so easy to get around on my bike. I guess therefore I will have to take the California driving tests like every other californian there. How do I do this? What is required? How long will it take? and what are the costs for taking a test. Is there a written and a practical exam?

Some help would be appreciated.

(I have had around 40 hours UK driving lessons, and have passed the theory twice, so I would not be approaching this as a complete n00b.)
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for obtaining a drivers licence in California please!!

It's fairly easy, yes you do a written multiple guess test and then a practical exam. Just study the handbook. It might be worth taking some driving lessons first - in fact if you don't have a license at all then you probably have to as you won't be able to drive without a driver with you!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess_cat
I guess therefore I will have to take the California driving tests like every other californian there. How do I do this? What is required? How long will it take? and what are the costs for taking a test. Is there a written and a practical exam?
You might want to check for answers on the California DMV web site.

Ian
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:21 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore everything you learnt in those 40 hours.
Answers to everything you need to know:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl.htm
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most people have a license already, so just have to do the theory test to get a temp license that covers them till they get the road test done for the state.

As you don't have a license, you might have to fulfil the drivers ed portion and all that guff about having to have a licensed driver and x number of hours on the road/night before being allowed to take the test. I've no idea what those requirements are or if they're waived for anyone over 21/25.

That's what the DMV site is for, linked in the post above.

Probably worth getting the UK test done and out of the way if there's any weird drivers ed requirements.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess_cat
Hi there!

I have been considered for a job in California (Roseville to be exact) and am starting to plan the big move out there from Oxford which is where I currently reside.

I have an American passport as my father is American so getting residency/visa/green card does not apply to me (Thank God). I do need advice however on obtaining a California driving license as I will need to drive as part of the job, the problem is, I have never attempted even a driving test before in the UK as it is so easy to get around on my bike. I guess therefore I will have to take the California driving tests like every other californian there. How do I do this? What is required? How long will it take? and what are the costs for taking a test. Is there a written and a practical exam?

Some help would be appreciated.

(I have had around 40 hours UK driving lessons, and have passed the theory twice, so I would not be approaching this as a complete n00b.)
You can book a few lessons at a driving school in California. Since you haven't driven, that's probably what I would do, especially lessons to help you feel comfortable on the freeway. The driving test won't go on the freeway, but with never driving on one before (and Roseville has super duper freeway I-80 to deal with) I'd want to feel a bit more comfortable.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The driving test won't go on the freeway
It's odd that, as there's a specific section on the practical test form for it. The local one is right next to an exit as well.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It's odd that, as there's a specific section on the practical test form for it. The local one is right next to an exit as well.
I was 16 when I took my first driving test, in California, many moons ago! And they didn't take you on the freeway then either. To be honest, if I was an examiner, I sure wouldn't want to take a testing driver on to any freeway!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:43 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I was already a driver, but actually took my written and practical drivers test in Roseville, ca.

Live just down the road.

I would make sure you take some drivers ed here before you take your test.