Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School vaccinations specifically Hep B

School vaccinations specifically Hep B

Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mall18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School vaccinations specifically Hep B

I'm sure similar questions have been asked but I can't seem to find answers online, so my question is for anyone with school aged children regarding the Hep B vaccination.
I have a son who will be starting high school in Florida as long as we actually get our visa.
I got a print out of his vaccination record and the only ones he hasn't had which he needs are Hep B and varicella.
The chicken pox isn't a problem as he's had it and the nurse here in the UK is going to do an antibody blood test for that.
The Hep B though he needs 3 doses, so she has suggested a 'fast course' of one then another a week later and the third 3 weeks after to get them done in a month.
She did say they might not accept this as a full course as normally you would have a booster 6 to 12 months later.
Does anyone have any experience with this fast track approach and US schools?
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School vaccinations specifically Hep B

Normally, US schools will accept kids as long as they have begun the course of vaccinations, so you just need to get the first one done. Once you have your visa and a good idea of where you will live, you should check that with the local school district to be sure.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:59 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Our sons were accepted into their local school with evidence of having had the first two vaccinations in the UK, at the standard interval of one month apart which were all we had time for too. Once the 6 month final booster was due we had a reminder letter from the school district warning us that they could be excluded from school if they did not have the third and final vaccination of the course. They had the last vaccination here in the US and took proof to the school office and all was OK.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Owen778. I have looked on the Florida state site but there are no specifics for kids who transfer from out of state. I even emailed someone but had no reply. Once we have a confirmed address I will speak to the school direct I think
Old Sep 13th 2018, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lizzyq. The nurse did say he might need a six month booster even with 3 doses so I think we'll do the fast course here and get a booster if needed. My main concern was they would say he couldn't start school until after the booster but from your experience it looks like that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 2:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Starting the course is enough for most schools.

The thing about the Hep B vaccine is not that you "need" all three, it's that some people need all 3. These numbers aren't accurate but illustrative:

After dose 1, something like 80% of the people are protected.
After dose 2, something like 90% of the people are protected.
After dose 3, something like 96% of the people are protected.

The reason they give three doses is to be extra-triple confident that you have (or are likely to have) some antibodies for the disease.

As such, most schools are comfortable letting you in even if you just started.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mall18
I'm sure similar questions have been asked but I can't seem to find answers online, so my question is for anyone with school aged children regarding the Hep B vaccination.
I have a son who will be starting high school in Florida as long as we actually get our visa.
I got a print out of his vaccination record and the only ones he hasn't had which he needs are Hep B and varicella.
The chicken pox isn't a problem as he's had it and the nurse here in the UK is going to do an antibody blood test for that.
The Hep B though he needs 3 doses, so she has suggested a 'fast course' of one then another a week later and the third 3 weeks after to get them done in a month.
She did say they might not accept this as a full course as normally you would have a booster 6 to 12 months later.
Does anyone have any experience with this fast track approach and US schools?
I took all my kids UK vaccination records to the Miami Dade County Health dept. They documented everything for me and gave my kids exactly what they needed for school and it didn't cost me a penny.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Starting the course is enough for most schools.

The thing about the Hep B vaccine is not that you "need" all three, it's that some people need all 3. These numbers aren't accurate but illustrative:

After dose 1, something like 80% of the people are protected.
After dose 2, something like 90% of the people are protected.
After dose 3, something like 96% of the people are protected.

The reason they give three doses is to be extra-triple confident that you have (or are likely to have) some antibodies for the disease.

As such, most schools are comfortable letting you in even if you just started.
All sounds good for the triple fast course then.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
I took all my kids UK vaccination records to the Miami Dade County Health dept. They documented everything for me and gave my kids exactly what they needed for school and it didn't cost me a penny.
I think they would have done them for free in Osceola too but my son has missed so much school now I didn't want to risk getting there and being told we'd either have to wait for an appointment or that he couldn't start until 'x' number of weeks after he'd had them. So instead it's costing us £105 here for the triple course, but the blood test is free at least.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

If your son is somewhere in the ages 11-15 range, inclusive, then there’s a separate Hep B vaccination protocol for adolescents. This protocol only requires two vaccinations for full coverage.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kodokan
If your son is somewhere in the ages 11-15 range, inclusive, then there’s a separate Hep B vaccination protocol for adolescents. This protocol only requires two vaccinations for full coverage.
Thanks Kodokan, he's 16 now though so not sure if it applies.

It's so hard to tell though because all the information is written for children moving on to the next stage on the presumption they have had all the previous vaccinations. I was a bit surprised Osceola county didn't have anything for foreign students as there are so many of them in that area.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mall18
Thanks Kodokan, he's 16 now though so not sure if it applies.

It's so hard to tell though because all the information is written for children moving on to the next stage on the presumption they have had all the previous vaccinations. I was a bit surprised Osceola county didn't have anything for foreign students as there are so many of them in that area.
Ah no, he’ll need the usual three then.

The fast track schedule may cause you problems. Not having them at the expected CDC intervals is considered the same as not having them. One of my kids’ schools flagged them up as ‘unvaccinated’ in something because of incorrect timings, but in that case it was just because they were reading the European dates the wrong way round.

I’d do the usual intervals of jab, one month, six months after the first (I think). He’ll almost certainly be able to start after the first one, in my experience. There’s also usually the option of a waiver - we signed one for chicken pox, which the kids had had, to say that we were philosophically against the vaccine.

Last edited by kodokan; Sep 15th 2018 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kodokan

Ah no, he’ll need the usual three then.

The fast track schedule may cause you problems. Not having them at the expected CDC intervals is considered the same as not having them. One of my kids’ schools flagged them up as ‘unvaccinated’ in something because of incorrect timings, but in that case it was just because they were reading the European dates the wrong way round.

I’d do the usual intervals of jab, one month, six months after the first (I think). He’ll almost certainly be able to start after the first one, in my experience. There’s also usually the option of a waiver - we signed one for chicken pox, which the kids had had, to say that we were philosophically against the vaccine.

That's a good point.
I managed to find a schedule for grades 7 to 12 who hadn't been previously vaccinated and that had 2 doses 4 weeks apart with a 3rd at least 12 weeks later.
We should have time to get the first 2 done a month apart and then the booster in the US, it was the Nurse's first suggestion actually so it might be the best option. The chicken pox test is free here and he's not concerned about having the blood test so we might as well get definitive proof, just in case.