Reload this Page >

Work life balance UK vs USA

Work life balance UK vs USA

Old Sep 12th 2018, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Tiffanymsmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work life balance UK vs USA

Hi,

my family and I are potentially looking to relocate to Tennessee and work within restaurants.

we both have worked in the industry collectively for over 18 years and ultimately want to be able to raise our 2 beautiful children in the USA.

can I ask, what the comparisons are to our current life style of...

● 48 hour week
● 2 days off a 2eek
● 5 weeks holiday a year
● planning in and taking weekends off

thank you!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 11:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work life balance UK vs USA

Moved to US section for you as more visible here.

First questions are likely to be, how do you plan to move to the US?
Old Sep 13th 2018, 1:19 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, without a guaranteed path to a visa it's all irrelevant. Focus on finding a visa category that you qualify for, then we can discuss the side issues.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 2:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked the industry for over 20 yrs. Vacation 1 to 2 weeks to start. Work week will include some weekends and night shifts. Often unpaid overtime and 24/7 availability. You want short hours be a waiter.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Within restaurants you can bank on working weekends, nights, holidays, the whole smash or you won't make any money.

Oh and there's no way you'll get 5 weeks off. 10 days maybe, but that will include sickness and personal days.

Luckily, it doesn't much matter if you can't get a visa, and unless you have a path to one (working in a restaurant isn't going to get you a visa in all likelihood) you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a tourist.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

You have picked a good state. Low cost of living, good climate and Nashville has a booming economy. I live about 70 miles south. There will be plenty of jobs in Nashville but housing is getting expensive there. The biggest difference you will find is two week vacations versus five. What part of state are you wanting to move to? Have you spent much time in Tennessee?
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You have picked a good state. Low cost of living, good climate and Nashville has a booming economy. I live about 70 miles south. There will be plenty of jobs in Nashville but housing is getting expensive there. The biggest difference you will find is two week vacations versus five. What part of state are you wanting to move to? Have you spent much time in Tennessee?
You have to read her other post to know that she is a manager of sort for TGIF in the UK and is hoping to get an L-1 to work in the US at their Nashville restaurant. If she is lucky and gets it, she has no choice as to where she will live.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You have to read her other post to know that she is a manager of sort for TGIF in the UK and is hoping to get an L-1 to work in the US at their Nashville restaurant. If she is lucky and gets it, she has no choice as to where she will live.
Then I guess she should look at her company policies for that branch.

Best companies for work-life balance are in cutting edge industries, usually technology, where smaller businesses use it to poach good employees and larger ones have to catch up to prevent that. or just small local businesses, but you'd never get a visa from one of those.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 5:10 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to be getting paid serious money before I'd consider bring my kids up in Nashville. It's OK to visit but the quality of driving there is shocking and the violent crime levels are some of the highest in the US. Not to mention TGIFs are closing down restaurants all around here, it's certainly not a gamble I'd be willing to take.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
TGIF is a franchiser so if I were the OP I would be extremely careful about such a move, unless they are in a management position with the parent company as opposed to being at a specific restaurant.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

TGIF is rapidly heading down the swirl of the toilet, not a good idea to chase a role there.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tiffany , I relocated last year, working in another industry in virginia.
my first year (although I have 6 years 'seniority' from being a remote worker before i relo'd) = I get only 15 days paid holiday, company policy.
raises to 20 after 15 years. (big cheers)
i am and have 43 been working 20 years, as if that should stand for something!.

this years hols in our company were
new years day jan 1,
memorial day may 28,
research this one jul 4,
labor day sep 3,
thanksgiving nov 22_23, (2)
xmas 24-1 (7)

so i got 28 paid. very good. as when i left uk employment I had 28
Old Sep 15th 2018, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
so i got 28 paid. very good. as when i left uk employment I had 28
That's low for the UK though, everybody I know gets at least 25 days plus BH's - hubby gets 30 days plus BH's, so 38 in total.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Tiffany , consider also your sunshine hours and temps per state/year if your interested in that. i work alot but its been sunny for months so weekends and evenings are usually bright and sunny, a whole load more outdoor time.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 3:13 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
Tiffany , consider also your sunshine hours and temps per state/year if your interested in that. i work alot but its been sunny for months so weekends and evenings are usually bright and sunny, a whole load more outdoor time.
The sun can be great but the tornadoes not so great in Tennessee, so if you're taking weather in to account I'd recommend owning a storm shelter more than I would a pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.