Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School vaccinations- potential problem!

School vaccinations- potential problem!

Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School vaccinations- potential problem!

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
When we had our GC medicals over here younger son was able to just have the standard TB skin test as he had never had a TB vaccination nor been exposed to it.
No chest x-rays required for your son?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CA-NY View Post
No chest x-rays required for your son?
No chest x-rays for any of us over here in the US. Just the skin/blood tests, which were all negative. If they had been positive there would have been x-rays and follow-up tests. Our son who had his medical in the UK had no blood tests but did have the x-ray, probably because so many UK citizens/residents have had the BCG vaccination which makes the blood work more expensive than the chest x-ray.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

upnorth78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thank you for all the very helpful comments. I agree that the blood test is more traumatic than the actual injection (for our little one anyway) so decided to have the Chickenpox vaccinations done. We pay for this privately, i think it was about £92. She will need another dose.

I am waiting to hear back from the District nurse regarding the pre-school booster but from the sounds of it she will have to have these again. We were hoping to avoid this but looks like that is not an option.

I noticed that someone mentioned Hep B- that wasn't mentioned to us or stated on the immunization schedule the school provided. Is this normally done for kids or later on?

Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2018, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi ignore the Hep B comment- our kids have had those!
Old Aug 27th 2018, 3:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not to derail the OPs post but I'm in for fun and games with my GC medical. I have no records of childhood vaccinations at all and can't prove any of them. In my case, vaccinations were not recorded in the GPs medical notes but rather on a separate card that Mum kept hold of. That's long gone and when we moved over here I got a print out of my medical records from the GP. No childhood vaccinations noted. In addition, I did not need the TB vaccination when a teenager at school so I don't have that either so that's going to be a whole thing. I'm not looking forward to it at all so I sympathize with you parents having to go through it with kids.
Actually, you don't need the proof as an adult. The medical vaccination form that is used / needed to be completed by the doctor states which vaccinations are normally given at certain ages to children who have grown up in countries such as the UK, Canada, etc. and it is taken as a given that you have received the proper immunizations as a child growing up in those countries. They will require vaccinations for such things as Hep b, Flu, etc. You can go to your primary physician and be tested for immunizations to chicken pox, and some other childhood diseases if you feel better for having 'proof'. Remember this is for the adult. Not speaking of child.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Not to derail the OPs post but I'm in for fun and games with my GC medical. I have no records of childhood vaccinations at all and can't prove any of them. In my case, vaccinations were not recorded in the GPs medical notes but rather on a separate card that Mum kept hold of. That's long gone and when we moved over here I got a print out of my medical records from the GP. No childhood vaccinations noted. In addition, I did not need the TB vaccination when a teenager at school so I don't have that either so that's going to be a whole thing. I'm not looking forward to it at all so I sympathize with you parents having to go through it with kids.
Good old NHS scotland destroyed mine and my husbands medical records once we had been out of the UK for 10 years.
We had no proof of any vaccines/immunity and for the GC medical we had a selection of being vaccinated again and some blood tests to check immunity. Insurance covered it all thank heavens. We had lived our whole childhoods in the UK, following the vaccination schedule for the time but we were still required to provide proof of those required vaccines.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my kids had chickenpox in the UK, and based on photos this was recorded on their California record and allowed to go to school.However our medical provider still lists Varicella as a needed injection for both kids and we have not been able to get that removed. The older kid ended up getting a varicella injection recently as when he had his injections for middle school the nurse just did all outstanding ones.

Like others I found very little flexibility in the immunizations, if you did not have exactly what is required and at the time required, then you need to have it again. My poor little ones had so many injections in their first week here despite being up-to-date when leaving the UK.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Spoke to the district school nurse who confirmed that our daughter will need the Tdap and Polio again prior to starting school. She did say that they have a walk in immunization clinic where you can just turn up and pay $20 per shot. Much cheaper than having it done privately here.

thanks for all your help!