Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scholarships

Wikiposts

Scholarships

Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarships

Originally Posted by rebs
English Baccalaureate - which as I understand it is a name given to a grouping of about 5 GCSEs which covers a broad range of subjects - English, Maths, a science, a language and humanities.

It is something that was introduced a couple of years ago as a measure on UK school league tables.
Didn't know about that.

Doubt very much that is enough for university entrance.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Didn't know about that.

No, I would not have thought so... but I could see it being a source of confusion in trying to translate to the US system.

Of course, it could be something else entirely that the OP is referring to
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjmb
I must admit if I was in your situation I would seriously reconsider your options- 16 and 18 are very difficult ages to move over to a country and very expensive!

I would not put a 16 in a university but that is my personal view. She would be better off either going to High school or a community college - High school is the cheapest option as it is FREE.

I notice you mention one of your daughter's want to do nursing. This is a very difficult area to get into the States for some reason and is totally different from the UK. Studying in the UK would be much easier and ultimately cheaper even with the new English fees.

The last point is that they will need to apply before the end of February to the college of their choice if they hope to be accepted and even then that is considered late by a lot of Americans.
My 16 year old is looking at a college as she wont be ready so yes I agree, Im also a Nurse but not work in Clinical IT so yes I agree but Nursing in the UK is also extra hard to get in, Alex has applied and only had 1 interview, also it is all Degree based where in the UK you can do Practical Nursing much more similar to the Diploma program we used to have for Nursing.

I think this will be our biggest issue for coming to the US as we would never split our family so I appreciate your honest advice and I am very worried about making the right decision
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Didn't know about that.

It is that but she has 11 Gcses mainly grade A-B

Yes they said at Clark Atlanta it is enough but I do feel that she should perhaps tdo another Level 3 Diploma at College first
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
I think this will be our biggest issue for coming to the US as we would never split our family so I appreciate your honest advice and I am very worried about making the right decision
If your eldest is only 3 years from 'ageing out', then will you have green cards in time? As that may split the family anyway, even if you intend to all stay forever.

I'm sure you've looked in to it already, but just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It is that but she has 11 Gcses mainly grade A-B

Yes they said at Clark Atlanta it is enough but I do feel that she should perhaps tdo another Level 3 Diploma at College first
OK so that is a private university, tuition is the same in-state and out-of-state ($19,830).

What is a level 3 diploma?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

On that issue, as she is still 17 if the extension is filed before she turns 21 and we dont yet have the green card is that OK? Or do they consider that she will be turning 21 soon after the extension is applied for?? In addition to my current job Im also a registered Nurse and i believe with that Labor cerificate is not required for the green card whilst I appreciate it can still take years Im hoping this may help with speed of process before she turns 21

Last edited by Mainy1129; Jan 24th 2013 at 6:09 am.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

My 16 year old is looking at a college as she wont be ready so yes I agree, Im also a Nurse but not work in Clinical IT so yes I agree but Nursing in the UK is also extra hard to get in, Alex has applied and only had 1 interview, also it is all Degree based where in the UK you can do Practical Nursing much more similar to the Diploma program we used to have for Nursing.

If we had this sort of information when we first moved over here, we might not have come. However, we were on a temporary assignment that turned out to be very permanent, so we would have come anyway.

We went through some tough times especially with our son who was 12, nearly 13, when we arrived in 2000. We survived though and manage to put 2.5 kids (son never quite made it) through college on an income a lot lower than yours, without loans or scholarships. Just meant we had to be frugal for a few years and now the kids are through that stage, we are reaping the benefits.

To be honest, we might have had problems with our Son even we had stayed in Scotland and our eldest was on track to do an Art and design degree in her Scottish high school. In the end she ended up doing a biology major as university course as until you are in your 2nd year, you tend not to be committed to a subject here - you enter as undeclared. She could have ended up with a chemistry or an arts degree as well but they became her minors but it helps if they are clear about their path as each college credits costs money. Elisabeth changed her mind several times!

The kids are all now independent and off on their own story in life. They don't regret it at all and love the life over here, even our son. So it is possible to do it but be prepared for a tough and bumpy few years if you do make the decision to move.

As to the L1 visa, I think if your application for a GC is in before your child is 21, you are OK. We were originally on a LIb which requires a labour certification and would have taken too long at that time for our eldest daughter (she would have aged out). We were changed to a L1a about 4.5 yrs into the process as my husband had actually been a manager in Scotland. Not sure why he hadn't been on an L1a originally, company oversight or maybe it was because we originally on a temporary assignment and L1b are easier to get? Anyway, once we were on the L1a we were fast tracked through the green card process and got it about 6 months after the L1a visa was granted. So if you have the option of an L1a, go for that rather a L1b visa as your daughter might age out.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

On that issue, as she is still 17 if the extension is filed before she turns 21 and we dont yet have the green card is that OK? Or do they consider that she will be turning 21 soon after the extension is applied for?? In addition to my current job Im also a registered Nurse and i believe with that Labor cerificate is not required for the green card whilst I appreciate it can still take years Im hoping this may help with speed of process before she turns 21
I have no idea I'm afraid, but as it seems as though it's v important that your daughter can stay past the age of 21, I'd suggest you start a new thread about this subject in the immi section of the forum where hopefully the pros there will be able to help you.

Good luck.