Reload this Page >

Scholarships

Scholarships

Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scholarships

Hi Folks

Any advice regarding criteria for applying for scholarships , what to do how difficult, if cant get scholarships does anyone know if my children could apply for student loan like those in Uk to help with fees ( we will have been there just a few months so won't have credit history in US)

Because my 2 elder girls would be studying at the same time trying to calculate any help we could get, we are not on low income of course so is there a limit to loans based on family's income

Thanks in advance

c
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:59 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarships

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
...we will have been there just a few months so won't have credit history in US...
That's not so much of an issue. Since your daughters will be in the US, attending a US school, they will have access to school counselors who can help them fill out a special form the US government has developed to establish eligibility (FAFSA). The form is processed and the results sent to the colleges where the student is thinking of applying. The colleges will have full-time staff to help deal with financial aid. These staff members will often have the ability to juggle the numbers so that special cases can be allowed for (they did this in my case when my father lost his job in between my filing the FAFSA and my enrolling in school). If you apply early enough, the college can put together an aid package that gives you the best combination of loans, grants, on-campus work/study, and other assistance based on your actual need. A case where multiple students are attending at the same time in the same family is taken into consideration.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

My son keeps telling me he can't get scholarships as he is not a Permanent Resident and doesn't have a SSN.
But I've not investigated this claim as he's still a couple of years away from college and we're hoping to get Green Cards early next year.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:39 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
My son keeps telling me he can't get scholarships as he is not a Permanent Resident and doesn't have a SSN.
But I've not investigated this claim as he's still a couple of years away from college and we're hoping to get Green Cards early next year.
That's right, don't draw any conclusions yet. Talk to the colleges he plans to enroll in. Laws have a way of changing in a couple years, too.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
He will be able to apply for some scholarships once he's a LPR including FAFSA.
Some scholarships stipulate that you have to be a citizen, some are happy that you have your green card.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
He will be able to apply for some scholarships once he's a LPR including FAFSA.
Some scholarships stipulate that you have to be a citizen, some are happy that you have your green card.
But there can also be private scholarships either from local businesses, community/commerce related, church related, or funds that the schools set aside themselves.

Just have to ask around.

Won't be eligible for most federal stuff though as mentioned.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But there can also be private scholarships either from local businesses, community/commerce related, church related, or funds that the schools set aside themselves.

Just have to ask around.

Won't be eligible for most federal stuff though as mentioned.
True, but even the private scholarships often require LPR or USC status....I spent hours trawling through the scholarship sites
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisa67
True, but even the private scholarships often require LPR or USC status....I spent hours trawling through the scholarship sites
I have a scholarship and am on an F1 visa... there definitely are options for people who aren't LPR or USC.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
I have a scholarship and am on an F1 visa... there definitely are options for people who aren't LPR or USC.
I never said there wasn't......just that the majority of them want you to be an LPR or USC
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
That's not so much of an issue. Since your daughters will be in the US, attending a US school, they will have access to school counselors who can help them fill out a special form the US government has developed to establish eligibility (FAFSA).
Thanks for this, two of them will be applying from here for college before we leave so can we fill in the application and forms from the UK or will we have to wait until we arrive?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:38 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
Thanks for this, two of them will be applying from here for college before we leave so can we fill in the application and forms from the UK or will we have to wait until we arrive?
That's a question for the school counselors. Go ahead and give the school a call and ask to talk to the Financial Aid Department.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Look at smaller less well known colleges. It surprises me how much money they have to give away. We get a good number of unsolicitated calls from them.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

thank you for your replies, will do
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

So you are still in the UK? Do you realise that your children will be classify as international students if they study over here. Also look into the Carnegie Trust and see if they have any scholarships for UK students studying in the USA.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, yes still in the Uk until June, thanks will look at the trust

One college has said international the other said once they are here they wont be international student :S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.