Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scholarships

Wikiposts

Scholarships

Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:57 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarships

Originally Posted by Mainy1129
Thanks, yes still in the Uk until June, thanks will look at the trust

One college has said international the other said once they are here they wont be international student :S
I haven't heard of a state-run university/college (if that is where your child has applied to) that will allocate a student for in-state tuition fees if they haven't lived in the state for a year (some will do this if you live in a bordering state though). So just double-check this to be sure.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
So you are still in the UK? Do you realise that your children will be classify as international students if they study over here. Also look into the Carnegie Trust and see if they have any scholarships for UK students studying in the USA.
If you are referring to the UK...I believe there isn't a great deal of difference now in tuition costs for international students.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, just hoping we get a scholarship or grant, they have just sent me the International student fees and I have two of my girls going at once :O
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, just hoping we get a scholarship or grant, they have just sent me the International student fees and I have two of my girls going at once :O
If you intend to return to the UK...I would send them to uni there. They will probably stay in the country where they attend uni. They make a life there ie friends, boyfriends and are more likely to find employment there. I wish my daughter had gone to a UK uni.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are referring to the UK...I believe there isn't a great deal of difference now in tuition costs for international students.
I have started looking into this - it seems to be a bit higher, depending on the university - around 12-13,000 pounds pa. However that's about the same as a UC university, and only for 3 years.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have started looking into this - it seems to be a bit higher, depending on the university - around 12-13,000 pounds pa. However that's about the same as a UC university, and only for 3 years.
The biggest difference between home fee and international fee paying students is source of funding.

If you're a home fee, you get student loans (SLC) and the benefits of not paying up front, getting repayments out of PAYE system if you work in the UK and all the deferments when sick/unemployed.

If you're a international paying student, you pay up front and have to find private funding.

So whilst the cost may be pretty similar, that's only the surface of the issue.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you intend to return to the UK...I would send them to uni there. They will probably stay in the country where they attend uni. They make a life there ie friends, boyfriends and are more likely to find employment there. I wish my daughter had gone to a UK uni.
We want to make this a permanent move to US and the girls really want a fresh start in the US, leaving them in UK isnt really an option for us, plus they would miss their baby brother too
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
The biggest difference between home fee and international fee paying students is source of funding.

I agree Bob my concern is more regarding source of funding particuarly as my 16 year old can start Uni this year in States meaning her and her sister will study at the same time, in UK I would have had 2 years grace on the younger one and access to Student grants
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

If you're a home fee, you get student loans (SLC) and the benefits of not paying up front, getting repayments out of PAYE system if you work in the UK and all the deferments when sick/unemployed.

If you're a international paying student, you pay up front and have to find private funding.

Oh yes, definitely.

I think jjmb's post actually referred to studying in the US.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree Bob my concern is more regarding source of funding particuarly as my 16 year old can start Uni this year in States meaning her and her sister will study at the same time, in UK I would have had 2 years grace on the younger one and access to Student grants
Can she? 16 seems very young to start uni.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Yep they have said because her English bacceleraute (* spelling) is the same as Us High school Diploma she can start at 16 although I may send her on a college course for a year as I agree its young BUT will still cost me
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit if I was in your situation I would seriously reconsider your options- 16 and 18 are very difficult ages to move over to a country and very expensive!

Your children will not be able to work until their GC applications are in, so you will have to provide them with all their expenses. Transport is the biggest issue at this age as they will invariably need a car to get around. I doubt they would qualify for any scholarships or grants (given your income which would be about $160,000 from a previous post your made). As you are L1 visa holders you would probably be classed as resident after a year so until then you would have to pay international fees, but it varies from State to State and their state website should be able to give that sort of information.

I would not put a 16 in a university but that is my personal view. She would be better off either going to High school or a community college - High school is the cheapest option as it is FREE. Although a high school diploma is good enough to get into university, there are ways of getting college credit through AP classes and dual college credits at community college whilst still at high school. Usually these college credits are free but again you would need to look into your state's rules. My daughter was 15 when she came over here and manage to get enough credit to knock a whole year off her college classes.

I notice you mention one of your daughter's want to do nursing. This is a very difficult area to get into the States for some reason and is totally different from the UK. Two of my youngest daugher's friend's are currently doing nursing programs. One has been doing since she left school 6 yrs ago and will only just qualify this summer (and she had dual credits, so was able to skip a year). The other has a degree in psychology and is currently doing the pre requisites to enter a nursing degree and entrance exams. which has taken her additional year. Usually you do a degree or an associate nursing diploma, then you do a nursing degree and even then there is a waiting list for most nursing courses. My daughter's friend who qualifies this year as an RN, had to wait for a whole year before she was accepted even with a near perfect GPA. Studying in the UK would be much easier and ultimately cheaper even with the new English fees.

The last point is that they will need to apply before the end of February to the college of their choice if they hope to be accepted and even then that is considered late by a lot of Americans.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

She can...usually it is 18 min? Even if she can...I would be a little concerned at her mixing with kids 2+ years older than her...especially if she was away from home.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I share jjmb and Jerseygirl's reservations.

My daughter knows a couple of people who have enough credit to go to uni before age 18, but they are not as young as 16, and it's unusual. Yours will have a tremendous amount of adjustment to do anyway.

I am still a little puzzled, as I thought International Baccalaureate was an alternative to A-levels, how could it have been completed already?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep they have said because her English bacceleraute (* spelling) is the same as Us High school Diploma she can start at 16 although I may send her on a college course for a year as I agree its young BUT will still cost me
Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I am still a little puzzled, as I thought International Baccalaureate was an alternative to A-levels, how could it have been completed already?
English Baccalaureate - which as I understand it is a name given to a grouping of about 5 GCSEs which covers a broad range of subjects - English, Maths, a science, a language and humanities.

It is something that was introduced a couple of years ago as a measure on UK school league tables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.