Reload this Page >

Santa Monica here we come - help needed

Santa Monica here we come - help needed

Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:49 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Santa Monica here we come - help needed

http://www.westsiderentals.com/

"serving has stopped responding"

obviously a popular site, I'll try again later, thanks.

JerseyGirl -
had a busy couple of weeks so not been on here for about 10 days, its getting busier (and scarier) by the minute.

I figure I'm going to have to make time to fly out to check out a few places prior to the move, all that and trying to pack my home, deal with the upset wife who doesn't want me to go ahead(but the new job demands it), work stressed I am leaving early, shall I continue . . . probably not.
Damn diet i am on means no drink, so I can't even have a drink...
I'll be glad when I'm there - I'll visit those british pubs. I've not had a curry for a couple of years - looking forward to that.
rambling? yes I guess, sorry!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I've been looking on craigslist and avoiding the pay sites.
most I have called are agents or brokers, and I try to avoid those if they have fee's.

my cell is ringing like mad, but nothing that will accomodate my 2 dogs yet...
Try these guys, right on Topanga Cyn. Blvd, Been there years, never used them myself but worth a call or e-mail maybe?

http://www.pritchett-rapf.com/agents.php?office=topanga

By the way stay away from Top of Topanga, these are basically mobile/pre-manufactured homes in a fancy mobile home park selling for $400K and up

http://www.topotopanga.com/

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Mar 9th 2007 at 9:56 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

So in a bizzare twist of events I find I am off to California, Santa Monica to be exact. The wife was offered a great internship in Santa Monica (it was not on the list, they just called her). I just accepted a job in Granada Hills, and I start work April 9th. Not much time to sort everything out, but there you have it.
Sue doesn't graduate until May so will be following me down.
I've found livery for the horses, out near the 'Hollywood' sign in a very basic (and cheap) place. I have been speaking to realtors for the past two days.
Even though our combined income will quadruple, the standard of living will be the same, but of course we will have the ocean near by. I've already sold all my 13 round magazine for the gun and bought 10 round ones (CA has some strict gun laws). I know my Texas concealed carry is not recognized there and I'll have to apply for one in CA - really hard to get, but I am hoping the fact the wifes job means she carries drugs will hold some weight in the decision.
We are looking at property near the beach in Santa Monica itself.

If anyone has any advice on area's to avoid living (and don't say "all CA") please let me know.
I know CA traffic is horrible. My employer says Santa Monica to Granada hills is 30 to 60 mins, mainly due to the fact I'll be leaving LA in the morning and not heading in to LA - is this a fair estimate?
How much higher is the cost of living? Gas is more, homes are more - what about other things?
I have a 6L Jeep (can't sell - I need it for the horse box) - will registering it in CA cost more than a smaller vehicle (I may keep a TX plate on it by registering it with the inlaws).
I need to register my guns within 60 days. What about dogs and cats?

CA was not even on our list of places so I'm not even sure what I need to know. I guess a general HELP . . .
Just want to offer my congratulations to you and sue. Hope the move goes smoothly and you settle in quickly.

We'll be thinking about you.....! Keep in touch, and dont forget to visit the lab....!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking on craigslist and avoiding the pay sites.
most I have called are agents or brokers, and I try to avoid those if they have fee's.

my cell is ringing like mad, but nothing that will accomodate my 2 dogs yet...
Accommodation for the dogs could be a problem. We enquired in the Chicago area and in NJ for a rental that would allow 2 large dogs...couldn't find one. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have more luck than we did.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

in the valley area just north of SM we found 1 place that would allow dogs... and it cost us a BOMB to do it...

here in Chicago we found lots of places that take dogs and we have 3.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:51 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Ha ha ha only joking with the winking smiley eh
Knob end.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Knob end.
Wishful thinking on your behalf
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:58 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Good luk. if you find a good rental property management ompany, please let me know. also researhing rentals but in the southern part.

[PS - sorry "c" key not working]
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:25 pm

The search goes on, and on, and on . . .

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Good luk. if you find a good rental property management ompany, please let me know. also researhing rentals but in the southern part.

[PS - sorry "c" key not working]
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

one arse thing about moving now, won't be able to claim your expenses till next year, but save those flight receipts and petrol receipts for the drives down, rental for car if you have one, moving expenses, the works, because you can claim it back, just the once in a year, for work purposes...or get the company to soak the expense so you don't have to bother...

I didn't have to claim anything because my company soaked it all up and didn't put it on my W2's as bonus or whatever, and they paid up front, so all I had to claim was a couple petrol receipts, but I couldn't be arsed chasing the form up for $50.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:29 pm

I'll be saving those reciepts. I got almost all my tax back this year - Sue's final years school fee's, some loses on some shares we sold etc, so I'm glad this expense will be on next years taxes (especially now we will both be working).
This move is going to cost a fair bit, the horses are $995 each, I'm renting a U-HAUL 26' van and trailer for a little over $1,000, then the gas for the 1,500 mile drive (once for the van and trailer (drinks gas), once for my 6L car and trailer(drinks nearly as much gas as a U-HAUL van), and once for Sue's car - the only sensible car we have, but even thats a small SUV)
We have a friend who offered us her free airline tickets (her hubby is a pilot), but hotels and hire cars will all be on the list.
I'm glad you reminded me about claiming it all back - it would have been next year before I realized I needed all those dman receipts. cheers Bob.

Its too early to look for a home, every one we liked said 1st week in April was too far away to reserve the house. Looks like it will be by the seat of my pants . . .
Sue doesn't want me to leave for CA before she does, but the job won't wait. I got to look on the bright side, at least I have a job to go to, its going to be an adventure, and Santa Monica has real beer, curry, pasties, scones, and all the goodies from back home just waiting for me

Originally Posted by Bob
one arse thing about moving now, won't be able to claim your expenses till next year, but save those flight receipts and petrol receipts for the drives down, rental for car if you have one, moving expenses, the works, because you can claim it back, just the once in a year, for work purposes...or get the company to soak the expense so you don't have to bother...

I didn't have to claim anything because my company soaked it all up and didn't put it on my W2's as bonus or whatever, and they paid up front, so all I had to claim was a couple petrol receipts, but I couldn't be arsed chasing the form up for $50.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave - off topic, but I think I read your wife just qualified as a vet. My fiance is in final year in the UK - does she know any good study resources for the NAVLE? He takes it in April. Any job hunting tips either? We'll be in the Chicago area.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2007, 3:23 pm

'The Match' has just run its course for this year if he wanted to do an internship? Some Universities and private practices did not match suitable graduates, and we can access that list right now (I could email a list of what was on offer this year if it helped your decision). Did he want to go straight in to practice or was he hoping to do an internship? Internships pay on average anywhere between $20k and $50k (the latter offered by just one practice with 6 places in CA). The pay is not good and they work you hard, but it makes a better vet (and stands you in good shape for a residency - if it is his goal to specialize).
Don't forget he will need to sit the state board exam too, unless he does an internship. Sue sat the TX boards then we found we were off to CA. She can't take the CA boards until September. Although she doesn't need to sit them to work as an intern, she is sitting them in case it doesn't work out and she wants to go in to practise and start earning some real money.
Sue is out riding one of the horses so I'll find out more info on the NAVLE (I thing she had an online study course for $150 that had over 1500 questions similiar to the NAVLE questions, so you could test your knowledge. She had a CD study course too. She also had the last 4 years of vet school books and notes. She is an 'overachiever' and would start the day at 5:30am reading her notes and books, then go to school for 8 a.m. (finishing anywhere between 5pm and 9pm depending on the particular rotation she was working, she would then do the online course and CD course). If a good way to study for the NAVLE exists, she will know it . . .

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hi Dave - off topic, but I think I read your wife just qualified as a vet. My fiance is in final year in the UK - does she know any good study resources for the NAVLE? He takes it in April. Any job hunting tips either? We'll be in the Chicago area.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2007, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

'The Match' has just run its course for this year if he wanted to do an internship? Some Universities and private practices did not match suitable graduates, and we can access that list right now (I could email a list of what was on offer this year if it helped your decision). Did he want to go straight in to practice or was he hoping to do an internship? Internships pay on average anywhere between $20k and $50k (the latter offered by just one practice with 6 places in CA). The pay is not good and they work you hard, but it makes a better vet (and stands you in good shape for a residency - if it is his goal to specialize).
Don't forget he will need to sit the state board exam too, unless he does an internship. Sue sat the TX boards then we found we were off to CA. She can't take the CA boards until September. Although she doesn't need to sit them to work as an intern, she is sitting them in case it doesn't work out and she wants to go in to practise and start earning some real money.
Sue is out riding one of the horses so I'll find out more info on the NAVLE (I thing she had an online study course for $150 that had over 1500 questions similiar to the NAVLE questions, so you could test your knowledge. She had a CD study course too. She also had the last 4 years of vet school books and notes. She is an 'overachiever' and would start the day at 5:30am reading her notes and books, then go to school for 8 a.m. (finishing anywhere between 5pm and 9pm depending on the particular rotation she was working, she would then do the online course and CD course). If a good way to study for the NAVLE exists, she will know it . . .
Thanks Dave. He's not intending to go straight into an internship. He'll initially want to work in general practice, then we'll see. We're in Illinois and Michigan, so no state boards - yay. I think the CA boards are supposed to be pretty tough, although she sounds like the kind of student who'll have no trouble.

I think we know of the same online course (1500 questions) and he's considering it - we'd love to know her opinion. Also re. the CD course (which one?) and anything else of use. He has the A-Z list.

Just curious, I haven't figured it out by now (sorry) - are you or Sue the one from the UK? And does she intend to go into a specialty? Pure useless curiosity and generic friendliness.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:47 pm

I'm the Brit. Sue hopes to specialize in radiology, and is tracking that on her internship. Her internship is 'rotating small animal', but she will get to do more radiology than the rest.
This is what she found helpful
book - "A-Z board review"
online - "Vet Prep" http://www.vetprep.com - this has 2,010 questions and she says this was a huge help - highly recommended!
online - VIN (Veterinary Information Network) http://www.vin.com/
online - Zuku review.com http://www.zukureview.com
Mosby's CD was helpful but found the Mosby's books to be too in-depth and out dated, she did NOT use the books.

Graduation is May, so lots of students in their 4th and final year will have some great books going cheap. If you have a list of anything he would like I'll ask Sue to post it on FYI at Texas A&M.

If you need any advice etc then PM an email address and I'll put you in touch with Sue directly. She is always willing to help a fellow vet student, its her way of repaying all the help she was given when she set out.

and GOOD LUCK!

Originally Posted by Tracym
Thanks Dave. He's not intending to go straight into an internship. He'll initially want to work in general practice, then we'll see. We're in Illinois and Michigan, so no state boards - yay. I think the CA boards are supposed to be pretty tough, although she sounds like the kind of student who'll have no trouble.

I think we know of the same online course (1500 questions) and he's considering it - we'd love to know her opinion. Also re. the CD course (which one?) and anything else of use. He has the A-Z list.

Just curious, I haven't figured it out by now (sorry) - are you or Sue the one from the UK? And does she intend to go into a specialty? Pure useless curiosity and generic friendliness.

Last edited by Pony; Mar 11th 2007 at 11:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.