British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Santa Monica here we come - help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/santa-monica-here-we-come-help-needed-433329/)

Pony Mar 9th 2007 12:27 am

Santa Monica here we come - help needed

So in a bizzare twist of events I find I am off to California, Santa Monica to be exact. The wife was offered a great internship in Santa Monica (it was not on the list, they just called her). I just accepted a job in Granada Hills, and I start work April 9th. Not much time to sort everything out, but there you have it.
Sue doesn't graduate until May so will be following me down.
I've found livery for the horses, out near the 'Hollywood' sign in a very basic (and cheap) place. I have been speaking to realtors for the past two days.
Even though our combined income will quadruple, the standard of living will be the same, but of course we will have the ocean near by. I've already sold all my 13 round magazine for the gun and bought 10 round ones (CA has some strict gun laws). I know my Texas concealed carry is not recognized there and I'll have to apply for one in CA - really hard to get, but I am hoping the fact the wifes job means she carries drugs will hold some weight in the decision.
We are looking at property near the beach in Santa Monica itself.

If anyone has any advice on area's to avoid living (and don't say "all CA") please let me know.
I know CA traffic is horrible. My employer says Santa Monica to Granada hills is 30 to 60 mins, mainly due to the fact I'll be leaving LA in the morning and not heading in to LA - is this a fair estimate?
How much higher is the cost of living? Gas is more, homes are more - what about other things?
I have a 6L Jeep (can't sell - I need it for the horse box) - will registering it in CA cost more than a smaller vehicle (I may keep a TX plate on it by registering it with the inlaws).
I need to register my guns within 60 days. What about dogs and cats?

CA was not even on our list of places so I'm not even sure what I need to know. I guess a general HELP . . .

bored-silly Mar 9th 2007 12:29 am

Re: Santa Monica here we come - help needed

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave (Post 4499933)
So in a bizzare twist of events I find I am off to California, Santa Monica to be exact. The wife was offered a great internship in Santa Monica (it was not on the list, they just called her). I just accepted a job in Granada Hills, and I start work April 9th. Not much time to sort everything out, but there you have it.
Sue doesn't graduate until May so will be following me down.
I've found livery for the horses, out near the 'Hollywood' sign in a very basic (and cheap) place. I have been speaking to realtors for the past two days.
Even though our combined income will quadruple, the standard of living will be the same, but of course we will have the ocean near by. I've already sold all my 13 round magazine for the gun and bought 10 round ones (CA has some strict gun laws). I know my Texas concealed carry is not recognized there and I'll have to apply for one in CA - really hard to get, but I am hoping the fact the wifes job means she carries drugs will hold some weight in the decision.
We are looking at property near the beach in Santa Monica itself.

If anyone has any advice on area's to avoid living (and don't say "all CA") please let me know.
I know CA traffic is horrible. My employer says Santa Monica to Granada hills is 30 to 60 mins, mainly due to the fact I'll be leaving LA in the morning and not heading in to LA - is this a fair estimate?
How much higher is the cost of living? Gas is more, homes are more - what about other things?
I have a 6L Jeep (can't sell - I need it for the horse box) - will registering it in CA cost more than a smaller vehicle (I may keep a TX plate on it by registering it with the inlaws).
I need to register my guns within 60 days. What about dogs and cats?

CA was not even on out list of places so I'm not even sure what I need to know. I guess a general HELP . . .

Avoid Lionheart.;)

Pony Mar 9th 2007 12:30 am

I thought about inviting him to the house warming, but remembered he tends to take that literally (or did he blame his wife - i can't remember) and we may need fire extinguishers . . .

Originally Posted by bored-silly (Post 4499937)
Avoid Lionheart.;)

DollyLlama Mar 9th 2007 12:33 am

Congrats! Hope it goes well for you all :)

bored-silly Mar 9th 2007 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave (Post 4499944)
I thought about inviting him to the house warming, but remembered he tends to take that literally (or did he blame his wife - i can't remember) and we may need fire extinguishers . . .

And gets his arse out....

Anyhoo, we are Norcal here but when ever we have visied Eskimo and Woodsey - which is often - the traffic is a BITCH wherever we go. Really, it never ceaces to amaze me and I moan about it every time.
So will you now be SM Dave......?

Also E&W had a horse so if you needed th change stables they may be able to help.

USBound Mar 9th 2007 1:38 am

I moved out of the woodland hills area about 3months ago...

santa monica to granada hills in 30-60 mins... hmmm...

look at it this way... the 405 is a bitch, period. During rush hour its a total nightmare. I've seen us move 1 mile in 3 hours in the past and its worst in 3 locations

405/118 intersection
405/101 intersection
405/Santa Monica Blvd

you'll probably be hitting all three... I can put you in contact with someone who does approximately that commute however I'm pretty sure he'll agree... 30-60 mins is being very conservative... I'd estimate 30mins if you're the only person on the road (4am), 90mins otherwise... will you be travelling with the commute or reverse commuting?

Lionhead would you agree?

Pony Mar 9th 2007 2:49 am

We are hoping to find a home in Santa Monica itself so I will be heading out of LA to Granada Hills in a morning and back in the evening.
Its not my ideal choice, but its a job. I've only been looking for 3 days and maybe something will turn up in Santa Monica itself. If it doesn't I'll be on the 405 with everyone else. The job is great, its the commute I'll hate. I did a 1.5 hour commute in the UK and it sucks the life from you.

What is highway 1 like at peak times? We found a few homes in Topanga that would enable us to keep the horses at home and put the board fee's towards a nicer home.

We both agreed that it was crazy us both having a lousy commute, unless we found a great horse property so we decided living in Santa Monica near the beach was a good idea. We get to take evening and weekend strolls on the beach and only one of us has to drive any distance. Sue will be working in down town Santa Monica. If we lived in Topanga we could go riding instead of walking the beach.

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 4500137)
I moved out of the woodland hills area about 3months ago...

santa monica to granada hills in 30-60 mins... hmmm...

look at it this way... the 405 is a bitch, period. During rush hour its a total nightmare. I've seen us move 1 mile in 3 hours in the past and its worst in 3 locations

405/118 intersection
405/101 intersection
405/Santa Monica Blvd

you'll probably be hitting all three... I can put you in contact with someone who does approximately that commute however I'm pretty sure he'll agree... 30-60 mins is being very conservative... I'd estimate 30mins if you're the only person on the road (4am), 90mins otherwise... will you be travelling with the commute or reverse commuting?

Lionhead would you agree?

Bob Mar 9th 2007 3:06 am

Cool stuff...can't really help, but best of luck...and don't forget to file your AR-11 to USCIS to let them know you've moved address within 10 days of moving, and the same for the missus as your financial sponsor...

Sally Mar 9th 2007 3:12 am

Good luck but why are you so keen to carry guns?:confused:

snowbunny Mar 9th 2007 7:26 am

As conservative as Bryan / College Station is, Santa Monica is liberal.... but oh so money-conscious and snobby.

No clue about gun laws there but boy are you in for a culture shock!

Bryan / College Station is real, Santa Monica is surreal Okay the below is about Hollywood but:

Just written by Snow Patrol's lead singer:

"We’re in LA.

In Hollywood to be precise. A strange and brightly lit place aching with temptation and unashamed of its brazen confidence. Our hotel is just off Hollywood Boulevard and it’s on that street littered with (actual) fading stars of a bygone age I saw the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. When I tell you, you will not believe me.

Let me explain…

Essentially it was…

The long and the short of it is I saw a guy dressed like Jack Black in Anchorman attacking Batman from behind with a bottle after which Spiderman lept to his aid and wrestled fake Jack Black to the ground and threw a solid beating on him. The police were called (ten police cars showed up! Ten!? Who’s policing the rest of LA?) and all three were arrested.

Confused? Me too.

This sounds like a movie. Or it sounds staged. Some theatrics for the tourists maybe? No. It was a very real fight. The giant bumps on fake Jack Black’s face after Spidey had at him will attest to that. It was very disturbing.

On one particular block of Hollywood Boulevard, in the vicinity of Kodiak Theatre (where they have the Oscars) the streets are lined with people dressed like movie heroes (Batman and Spidey are just a few), kids TV characters (Spongebob Squarepants and that idiot purple dinosaur), classic movie characters (Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, etc) and music icons (a fake Michael Jackson is apparently fine to have your children photographed in the arms of). It seems, however, left to their own devices, these raucous replicas will inevitably run amok. And with none of the dignity and valour of their on screen personas.

So today I saw fake Spidey and fake Batman team up at last on the streets of LA against that most villainous of all evil geniuses: DEN DEN DEN!!!.... Fake Jack Black."

Andrew Cross Mar 9th 2007 7:54 am

Good luck with the move and the house hunting....:D

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2007 8:04 am

Hey I tried to PM you a few days ago...great to hear your news. Santa Monica sounds like a fabulous place to move to. Lord Lionheart :rofl: lives there...I'm sure he'll be able to help you.

Congratulations to you and your wife...you must be very proud of her. Good luck finding somewhere to live. All the best. :thumbsup:

Ozzidoc Mar 9th 2007 1:03 pm

Good luck with everything, and congrats to Sue on her internship!

USBound Mar 9th 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave (Post 4500266)
We are hoping to find a home in Santa Monica itself so I will be heading out of LA to Granada Hills in a morning and back in the evening.
Its not my ideal choice, but its a job. I've only been looking for 3 days and maybe something will turn up in Santa Monica itself. If it doesn't I'll be on the 405 with everyone else. The job is great, its the commute I'll hate. I did a 1.5 hour commute in the UK and it sucks the life from you.

What is highway 1 like at peak times? We found a few homes in Topanga that would enable us to keep the horses at home and put the board fee's towards a nicer home.

We both agreed that it was crazy us both having a lousy commute, unless we found a great horse property so we decided living in Santa Monica near the beach was a good idea. We get to take evening and weekend strolls on the beach and only one of us has to drive any distance. Sue will be working in down town Santa Monica. If we lived in Topanga we could go riding instead of walking the beach.

Topanga has issues... yes you can buy a house with space for horses etc... however your house is likely built on mud... when it rains you pray...

by route 1... do you mean the Pacific Coast Highway? If that is what you mean then it won't get you where you need to go. If you intend to use Topanga Canyon Blvd for your commute then I suggest you take a trip out and do the commute realistically for a few days.. just as a practise...

the canyon also closes in bad weather situations or when it gets too dry and rocks start falling.

Your circumstance is somewhat mitigated by the reverse commute you're doing (most people head INTO town, you are heading out) but thats not a huge benefit.

Where is Lionheart when you need him... he's in downtown SM.

I'll ping my friend today see what he thinks of your suggested commute.

username 34 Mar 9th 2007 1:30 pm

oooh - all sounds exciting TD .... 'cept the commuting bit - that would drive me round the bend really quick

good luck!