Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Santa Monica, CA?

Santa Monica, CA?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Santa Monica, CA?

Originally Posted by Bob
Nothing like the MBTA that's in Boston with the T/commuter rail/bus link etc is there?
Unfortunately not. You have two public transportation extremes right there. Boston's public transport is known as one of the best in the country, whereas LA is at the opposite end of the scale. There is the Metro train, however unfortunately it doesn't run out to Santa Monica.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Nigel84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Santa Monica is beautiful area but not cheap by any means. They do have the metro bus lines but in all honestly a car is almost a necessity. Traffic can be bad especially on the weekends. There are quite a few British pubs and shops in the area though. A really good one is the Tudor House off 2nd Street. There's a car park right next to it. They have delicious sausage rolls and pies. Not to mention carry quite a bit of goods.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malj
...Boston's public transport is known as one of the best in the country...
oh god no, really? because it's shit...
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel84
Santa Monica is beautiful area but not cheap by any means. They do have the metro bus lines but in all honestly a car is almost a necessity. Traffic can be bad especially on the weekends. There are quite a few British pubs and shops in the area though. A really good one is the Tudor House off 2nd Street. There's a car park right next to it. They have delicious sausage rolls and pies. Not to mention carry quite a bit of goods.
speaking of parking, what's that situation like out there then?

Better than the $20-25 a day rates of here I'd hope...
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
speaking of parking, what's that situation like out there then?

Better than the $20-25 a day rates of here I'd hope...
If you are a resident then parking is a little different. As a visitor, like me, I found parking to be very affordable. The rates for the parking structures are little higher during the weekends but during the week I parked in the parking structure on 2nd Street for $2 for 4 hours. There's also a lot of meter parking but they are extremely strict on expired meters.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nigel84
If you are a resident then parking is a little different. As a visitor, like me, I found parking to be very affordable. The rates for the parking structures are little higher during the weekends but during the week I parked in the parking structure on 2nd Street for $2 for 4 hours. There's also a lot of meter parking but they are extremely strict on expired meters.
Cheers....that's really pretty cheap, so that's something at least
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
oh god no, really? because it's shit...
Yep! I've read often that Boston, NYC and SF are amongst the best. But Bob, from your posts you are in the graphic design industry no? I believe the west side of LA is the main hub for this industry (generally speaking) and so that should cut your potential commute down.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, I knew that, but hoping not to have to need it for a work commute between towns.

I'd much rather read or sleep on a commute than be stuck in a car...but the buses look a bit scary..big blue or whatever it was called? That's just around SM, which seems to cover it quite well, but between towns? What the heck..

http://www.catransit.com/links/calinks.html That's not a bad link...but it's all in town services and as I don't really know what I'm looking at, not to much help. Nothing like the MBTA that's in Boston with the T/commuter rail/bus link etc is there?
Bob, let me share a little story. When I was young(er) & striking out on my own, I wangled a transfer inside of my company to El Ayyyy! W00t, biggest news this small town gal could imagine.. I was very excited. I took whatever location they gave me because it's all just one big map after all and I'm smart, I can get around and ride the BUS!

While I did succeed with this scheme for a few months, only someone with the energy of a hyper 20 year old could manage it. I spent *hours* on the buses which went far and wide but never near my location without stops in three town centers.

Riding the bus in Southern California is NOT what it is anywhere else.

On the up side, my first car was a very cool 1968 Mustang.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed. Public transportation around here is very inefficient, not to mention you get a lot of crazys that ride the buses. Even in job interviews they ask if you have reliable transportation. If public transportation is your primary transportation it's not looked at well.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the one bus route that I experienced was excellent. Mind you, I only used it for 2 months one summer. Torrance to downtown/Union Station.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bob, it's lovely round there but very expensive. Did you get any info from Lionheart?

Hope we get to see you here!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by malj
Yep! I've read often that Boston, NYC and SF are amongst the best. But Bob, from your posts you are in the graphic design industry no? I believe the west side of LA is the main hub for this industry (generally speaking) and so that should cut your potential commute down.
Games artist...and yeah, there's a good hub in southern and northern CA...place I'm interested in is on the SM beach though.

I'd take the hit to be in another games hub than being in the middle of no where, but then again, I'd take almost any job right now
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hey Bob, it's lovely round there but very expensive. Did you get any info from Lionheart?

Hope we get to see you here!!!
Naaa...LH hasn't said a thing.

And yeah, goes look lovely from what I've heard and seen...but expensive...not keen on the idea of living in a tent sized place with all the crap we've accumalated over the years.

Still would love to come over. We'll see....it's a great opportunity if it pans out, but right now, not holding to much hope as it's a rock solid studio, just won a bucket load of awards and talking to someone that works where I used to, who worked there before heading back to blighty said it was one of the hardest places to get into, but also one of the best places he'd worked at.

Anyway, if they bring me over for a chat, I'll give you guys a shout and see if we can have a pint or something
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

And yeah, goes look lovely from what I've heard and seen...but expensive...not keen on the idea of living in a tent sized place with all the crap we've accumalated over the years.

Still would love to come over. We'll see....it's a great opportunity if it pans out, but right now, not holding to much hope as it's a rock solid studio, just won a bucket load of awards and talking to someone that works where I used to, who worked there before heading back to blighty said it was one of the hardest places to get into, but also one of the best places he'd worked at.

Anyway, if they bring me over for a chat, I'll give you guys a shout and see if we can have a pint or something
Sounds great, really hope it works out for you. I will try to find out more info for you if it looks like a goer. Cheers Bob
Old Jun 27th 2009, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

How about getting rid of some of the crap? It's very liberating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.