British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   San Antonio TX Anyone?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/san-antonio-tx-anyone-432480/)

VJS Mar 5th 2007 7:23 pm

San Antonio TX Anyone??

I just moved to San Antonio and wondered if there was any UK people about, I'm feeling homesick!

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2007 7:28 pm

Re: San Antonio TX Anyone??

Welcome to BE :beer: Why don't you tell us a little about yourself...so we can get to know you better.

There are quite a few on here from the Lone Star State...I'm sure some will be along soon.

TruBrit Mar 5th 2007 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4485696)
I just moved to San Antonio and wondered if there was any UK people about, I'm feeling homesick!

hiya and welcome to BE from a warm and sunny houston :)

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4485745)
hiya and welcome to BE from a warm and sunny houston :)

Go on...rub it in. :mad: It's around freezing here, windy and it's been trying to snow all day.

VJS Mar 5th 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks Jerseygirl.
Well, this is my 6th year in the states, we just moved here from PA and before that it was LA! For some reason I'm finding it harder here than I did in the other states, but we're here for now so I thought I'd find a few brits to make it a little easier!
Ever get those days where you feel like going home?

TruBrit Mar 5th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4485798)

yes often and i'm back soon for a little jolly and so i'm a happy bunny for now.

i think lolly is in san antonio, maybe search her name on the members list at the top of the page :)

TruBrit Mar 5th 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4485777)
Go on...rub it in. :mad: It's around freezing here, windy and it's been trying to snow all day.

spring has definitely sprung here, the best time of the year weatherwise in houston...highs of mid 70's and nights mid 40's or 50's....long may it last...i wish:blink:

britvic Mar 5th 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks Jerseygirl.
Well, this is my 6th year in the states, we just moved here from PA and before that it was LA! For some reason I'm finding it harder here than I did in the other states, but we're here for now so I thought I'd find a few brits to make it a little easier!

Welcome to BE :beer: I get a lot of them day's :(

VJS Mar 5th 2007 8:12 pm

I love britvic!

britvic Mar 5th 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4485961)
I love britvic!

Are you a Victoria or a Victor ? with them letter's for your site name :)

Neathborn Mar 5th 2007 8:39 pm

San Antonio does take some getting used to! I lived there for 11 years, but moved in 2001 and am now in Virginia. There was a chapter of TBPA (I forget exactly what it stands for....Translatlantic Brides something-or-other). OH and I went to several meetings when we were there, but we were the youngest members at the time and it was mainly made up of war brides. It might have changed now as I know they were trying to recruit the younger generation.

Also, there is a British shop in northeast S.A., but it is quite expensive. Website below:

http://www.bawdseymanor.com/index.htm

The Institute of Texan Cultures holds the annual Texas Folklife Festival (I think it's June 8-10th this year), but last time OH and I went they had a British pub -- a tent set up and run by a British group. It's been years since we've been, but might be worth checking out as a number of different nationalities and groups are represented at the festival.

http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/tff/tff2006/home.html

As I mentioned, I haven't lived there since 2001, so things may have changed a lot. I will get to see for myself this summer as OH, the kids and I are heading back to south Texas to visit family for a few weeks. Not sure if I will be able to take the heat though :)

VJS Mar 5th 2007 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4486011)
Are you a Victoria or a Victor ? with them letter's for your site name :)

Victoria

Thanks for all the info Neathborn, the HEB's (supermarkets) round here carry a lot of british stuff, some of them even a few good jars of Pataks!
I hope it doesn't take 11 years to used to it:)
How's VA?

Neathborn Mar 5th 2007 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4486082)
Victoria

Thanks for all the info Neathborn, the HEB's (supermarkets) round here carry a lot of british stuff, some of them even a few good jars of Pataks!
I hope it doesn't take 11 years to used to it:)
How's VA?

Yes, I miss HEB, though the one near us got very busy during the early evening hours. There is also a World Market in NE San Antonio and they have a variety of international foods.

It took me about 2 years to get used to San Antonio, but then it was also the first place I lived in the U.S.. I had major culture shock and thought that someone had dropped me on a different planet and I didn't understand half of what people said! But things that I did like and miss are the Riverwalk, the smell of mesquite burning in the winter when people do (amazingly!!) use their fireplaces, the wide open spaces, prickly pear cactii, Mexican food, warm evenings, variety of wild flowers (bluebonnets, Mexican Hats, Indian Firebrush) along the roads in the Spring, the Majestic Theatre (it's beautiful inside), Fiesta time in April (party time!!), the Texas Hill Country, Bandera (a town northwest of SA, which reminds me of the wild west!!)...I probably could think of other things, but those are what initially come to mind.

VJS Mar 5th 2007 9:21 pm

I don't eat before I go there, they give away so many samples, it's heaven!

I thought I'd be ok here having lived in LA for 3 years, I guess it was that 2 year stint in PA that threw me off!

The Riverwalk is awesome, we're finding our way around to some fun stuff, just need more vacation time to enjoy it!

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2007 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4485961)
I love britvic!

We all love Britvic and most of us have days like that too. :(

Texas Mom Mar 5th 2007 10:56 pm

Hi there, welcome to BE from DFW.
Was just doing the mommy thing at the park and a friend is off to San Antonio this weekend. We've hardly been out of DFW since moving here last June.
Managed to get three weeks back in the UK in January so that's settled my home sickness for the time being.
Hopefully we'll get some travelling in and see a bit more of the Lone Star State, visit San Antonio go to Deep Sea World and what not. I'm very interested in a road trip to Austin it looks beautiful!
I've been lucky and met lots of people through my son, he's four. We got him into soccer and I joined a MOPS group so it's been great. Thanks goodness for MSN though so as I can talk to my mum whenever I like. ;)

Bob Mar 6th 2007 3:42 am

Welcome to BE :)

http://www.frappr.com/beusa

check that out

VJS Mar 6th 2007 1:51 pm

Yeah I heard austin was a nice place to visit, and actually Bob, it seems from the map that's where the cool kids live!

Love MSN, get to see the fam back home also we got Vonage when we moved here, it's super cheap, we pay $30 a month and it's unlimited to the UK (land lines only) & US. Can talk for hours and not worry a bit!

snowbunny Mar 6th 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4488796)
Yeah I heard austin was a nice place to visit, and actually Bob, it seems from the map that's where the cool kids live!

:thumbup:

Bob Mar 6th 2007 4:08 pm

Don't know about the cool kids, but the drinkers, that's for sure :D

VJS Mar 6th 2007 4:41 pm

My uk friend just told me he was off to have a hotcross bun, I hadn't thought about them for ages!

Texas Mom Mar 6th 2007 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4489377)
My uk friend just told me he was off to have a hotcross bun, I hadn't thought about them for ages!

I was trying to explain to a friend of mine the other day what a hotcross bun was. She just didn't get it. Man what I would do for a hotcross bun with butter washed down with a nice cuppa. The cuppa I can do thanks to my smuggled supply of tea bags! ;)

VJS Mar 6th 2007 5:32 pm

I always liked mine toasted with oodles of melted butter!
And of course you have to sing the song while you're eating them!

Bob Mar 6th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4489377)

Trader Joe's have pretty good ones...as does Whole Foods :)

Texas Mom Mar 6th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4489551)

Think I'm getting mixed up with the song about currant buns in the bakers shop, round and fat with a cherry on top!
My four year olds fault he's always singing that!

TruBrit Mar 6th 2007 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4489551)

pile on the lurpak ;)

i can't stop humming it now .....one a penny two a penny hot cross buns :o

for those that don't know here are the lyrics ~

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons

Texas Mom Mar 6th 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4489604)
pile on the lurpak ;)

i can't stop humming it now .....one a penny two a penny hot cross buns :o

for those that don't know here are the lyrics ~

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons

Ahhh I'm with you now. Ta for that!:) :)

TruBrit Mar 6th 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4489613)
Ahhh I'm with you now. Ta for that!:) :)

you're welcome and yes i'm still humming it :lol:

Britdrinker Mar 6th 2007 7:03 pm

Yup, there's several of us cool kids up here in Austin. Steer clear the next couple of weeks though ... it's SXSW and you won't be able to park!

VJS Mar 6th 2007 7:32 pm

Some friends go nearly every year there so I was thinking seeing as this year I'm so close I might go!
I'm pretty darn sure I won't be able to get a hotel this late righ?!?!

snowbunny Mar 7th 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4489921)
Some friends go nearly every year there so I was thinking seeing as this year I'm so close I might go!
I'm pretty darn sure I won't be able to get a hotel this late righ?!?!

Erm no, and a wristband to get into see the bands is dear. But you can walk around for free and hear a lot of the music without paying a dime. Some of the gigs sell admission on the door if they don't reckon the badge and wristband holders won't fill it up. My brother wants to see Lily Allen on the Saturday. :rolleyes:

However, believe it or not, SXSW is one of the "1,000 places to go before you die". It's .... amazing.

VJS Mar 7th 2007 1:41 pm

I have friends on the inside!!
I'm not sure how I feel about Lily Allen, I wonder if anyone would care if it wasn't for her dad?

lolly Mar 7th 2007 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4489455)
I was trying to explain to a friend of mine the other day what a hotcross bun was. She just didn't get it. Man what I would do for a hotcross bun with butter washed down with a nice cuppa. The cuppa I can do thanks to my smuggled supply of tea bags! ;)

HEB have them and they are really nice

Bob Mar 7th 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by VJS (Post 4493305)
I have friends on the inside!!
I'm not sure how I feel about Lily Allen, I wonder if anyone would care if it wasn't for her dad?

Any indication, she played at a dive bar in Boston a few weeks back, tickets were $5 :lol:

VJS Mar 7th 2007 4:04 pm

Now that makes me 'smile', sorry that was bad!

Texas Mom Mar 7th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by lolly (Post 4493576)

Howdy Lolly, sorry I'm having a dumb moment, this creature growing inside me is sucking my brain cells dry, what or where is HEB, I know I'll get pelters for asking! In my defence I just got back from my MOPS meeting and listened to a woman talk about shoes for 2 hours :confused:

TruBrit Mar 7th 2007 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by lolly (Post 4493576)

there you are lolly, not seen you for ages....are you in San Antonio?

lolly Mar 7th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4494206)
Howdy Lolly, sorry I'm having a dumb moment, this creature growing inside me is sucking my brain cells dry, what or where is HEB, I know I'll get pelters for asking! In my defence I just got back from my MOPS meeting and listened to a woman talk about shoes for 2 hours :confused:

It is the supermarket chain here in SA, don't worry we have all lost brain cells after having children.

lolly Mar 7th 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4494230)
there you are lolly, not seen you for ages....are you in San Antonio?

Yes still here for now, but Husband is talking about moving to Houston !!! The Woodlands that area - Don't know if thats a good idea ??? All this as he is now working from home !!!! Plus the houses seem much cheaper.

TruBrit Mar 7th 2007 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by lolly (Post 4494385)
Yes still here for now, but Husband is talking about moving to Houston !!! The Woodlands that area - Don't know if thats a good idea ??? All this as he is now working from home !!!! Plus the houses seem much cheaper.

yep the 7 'villages' that make up the master planned community called the woodlands are located quite a few miles northwest of houston, about 30 miles i think. beware of the house prices, the cheaper houses are usually not in such a good safe area which pretty well is the same anywhere.

all the best lolly, try and persuade hubs to stay put...humidity/crime much greater here than san antonio.