Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San Antonio TX Anyone??

San Antonio TX Anyone??

Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:23 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

VJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really nice
Default San Antonio TX Anyone??

I just moved to San Antonio and wondered if there was any UK people about, I'm feeling homesick!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Antonio TX Anyone??

Welcome to BE Why don't you tell us a little about yourself...so we can get to know you better.

There are quite a few on here from the Lone Star State...I'm sure some will be along soon.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VJS
I just moved to San Antonio and wondered if there was any UK people about, I'm feeling homesick!
hiya and welcome to BE from a warm and sunny houston
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya and welcome to BE from a warm and sunny houston
Go on...rub it in. It's around freezing here, windy and it's been trying to snow all day.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:39 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

VJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really niceVJS is just really nice

Thanks Jerseygirl.
Well, this is my 6th year in the states, we just moved here from PA and before that it was LA! For some reason I'm finding it harder here than I did in the other states, but we're here for now so I thought I'd find a few brits to make it a little easier!
Ever get those days where you feel like going home?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by VJS
yes often and i'm back soon for a little jolly and so i'm a happy bunny for now.

i think lolly is in san antonio, maybe search her name on the members list at the top of the page
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Go on...rub it in. It's around freezing here, windy and it's been trying to snow all day.
spring has definitely sprung here, the best time of the year weatherwise in houston...highs of mid 70's and nights mid 40's or 50's....long may it last...i wish
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJS
Thanks Jerseygirl.
Well, this is my 6th year in the states, we just moved here from PA and before that it was LA! For some reason I'm finding it harder here than I did in the other states, but we're here for now so I thought I'd find a few brits to make it a little easier!
Welcome to BE I get a lot of them day's
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:12 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

I love britvic!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJS
I love britvic!
Are you a Victoria or a Victor ? with them letter's for your site name
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:39 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by VJS
San Antonio does take some getting used to! I lived there for 11 years, but moved in 2001 and am now in Virginia. There was a chapter of TBPA (I forget exactly what it stands for....Translatlantic Brides something-or-other). OH and I went to several meetings when we were there, but we were the youngest members at the time and it was mainly made up of war brides. It might have changed now as I know they were trying to recruit the younger generation.

Also, there is a British shop in northeast S.A., but it is quite expensive. Website below:

http://www.bawdseymanor.com/index.htm

The Institute of Texan Cultures holds the annual Texas Folklife Festival (I think it's June 8-10th this year), but last time OH and I went they had a British pub -- a tent set up and run by a British group. It's been years since we've been, but might be worth checking out as a number of different nationalities and groups are represented at the festival.

http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/tff/tff2006/home.html

As I mentioned, I haven't lived there since 2001, so things may have changed a lot. I will get to see for myself this summer as OH, the kids and I are heading back to south Texas to visit family for a few weeks. Not sure if I will be able to take the heat though
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:49 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britvic
Are you a Victoria or a Victor ? with them letter's for your site name
Victoria

Thanks for all the info Neathborn, the HEB's (supermarkets) round here carry a lot of british stuff, some of them even a few good jars of Pataks!
I hope it doesn't take 11 years to used to it
How's VA?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:06 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by VJS
Victoria

Thanks for all the info Neathborn, the HEB's (supermarkets) round here carry a lot of british stuff, some of them even a few good jars of Pataks!
I hope it doesn't take 11 years to used to it
How's VA?
Yes, I miss HEB, though the one near us got very busy during the early evening hours. There is also a World Market in NE San Antonio and they have a variety of international foods.

It took me about 2 years to get used to San Antonio, but then it was also the first place I lived in the U.S.. I had major culture shock and thought that someone had dropped me on a different planet and I didn't understand half of what people said! But things that I did like and miss are the Riverwalk, the smell of mesquite burning in the winter when people do (amazingly!!) use their fireplaces, the wide open spaces, prickly pear cactii, Mexican food, warm evenings, variety of wild flowers (bluebonnets, Mexican Hats, Indian Firebrush) along the roads in the Spring, the Majestic Theatre (it's beautiful inside), Fiesta time in April (party time!!), the Texas Hill Country, Bandera (a town northwest of SA, which reminds me of the wild west!!)...I probably could think of other things, but those are what initially come to mind.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:21 pm
VJS
Forum Regular

I don't eat before I go there, they give away so many samples, it's heaven!

I thought I'd be ok here having lived in LA for 3 years, I guess it was that 2 year stint in PA that threw me off!

The Riverwalk is awesome, we're finding our way around to some fun stuff, just need more vacation time to enjoy it!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by VJS
I love britvic!
We all love Britvic and most of us have days like that too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.