Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rude Restaurant Manners

Rude Restaurant Manners

Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:32 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rude Restaurant Manners

Originally Posted by Big D
I agree - but we aren't going to change it! To be honest i factor it into the cost of the meal, and i think i get much better service over here because they have to work for the tip (as a general rule). Its part of the culture so i embrace that. If i got bad service and/or the the food was expensive then i might have a different attitude

hmm - perhaps, but tips at resturants are expected too much, i have been out with people before who even if the service sucks they still leave a tip as they feel they should. personaly if the service is bad, rather than leave no tip (as they would prob think dam tourists!) i leave behind 1 cent.

Ant
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:32 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - but we aren't going to change it! To be honest i factor it into the cost of the meal, and i think i get much better service over here because they have to work for the tip (as a general rule). Its part of the culture so i embrace that. If i got bad service and/or the the food was expensive then i might have a different attitude

yes i know its not something that can be changed - just having a whinge though

Ant
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
hmm - perhaps, but tips at resturants are expected too much, i have been out with people before who even if the service sucks they still leave a tip as they feel they should. personaly if the service is bad, rather than leave no tip (as they would prob think dam tourists!) i leave behind 1 cent.

Ant

Good point about the bad service!

Last week we were in a new restaurant and the waitress started mimicking our accents (badly) now i dont mind talking about the accent but this was plain rude. I think she realised the tip was in jeopardy pretty quickly!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rushman
So as a Brit in New York I guess I am going to be as popular as a cup of cold sick down there then!!
Not that welcome me old china.

Actually we may grumble about the snowbirds here but they give us one thing: Zero state income tax due to all the cash they bring to the place. Thanks.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Last week we were in a new restaurant and the waitress started mimicking our accents (badly) now i dont mind talking about the accent but this was plain rude. I think she realised the tip was in jeopardy pretty quickly!
I admit that if I hear an English or Northern Irish accent, I can start to mimic it without realising (though same holds true for a Canadian accent). I'm not making fun, I'm just a natural mimic. There's a possibility she was not trying to offend.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I admit that if I hear an English or Northern Irish accent, I can start to mimic it without realising (though same holds true for a Canadian accent). I'm not making fun, I'm just a natural mimic. There's a possibility she was not trying to offend.

i know and i'm probably guilty myself - but she kept giggling to herself - and did it a number of times!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Not that welcome me old china.

Actually we may grumble about the snowbirds here but they give us one thing: Zero state income tax due to all the cash they bring to the place. Thanks.
Yeah, but loads of hospitals have to write off the difference between what Medicare pays and what they actually incur. Not to mention the rise in insurance rates from the elderly drivers.....

mixed blessings and all.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, but loads of hospitals have to write off the difference between what Medicare pays and what they actually incur. Not to mention the rise in insurance rates from the elderly drivers.....

mixed blessings and all.
This is true. All insurance down here is monstrous thanks to a combination all the old dears and the hurricanes.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:49 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
This is true. All insurance down here is monstrous thanks to a combination all the old dears and the hurricanes.
We have snowbirds as well, though not nearly the numbers that Florida attracts. In fact, they are less likely to own a real home, but rather an RV and they don't pay nearly the property taxes -- though I suppose they chip in on the sales tax.

They provide most of the jobs to the poorest counties in the state (along the Mexican border). But I figure the days of snowbirds coming are numbered since most of us are going to have to work until we drop in our tracks.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

We have snowbirds as well, though not nearly the numbers that Florida attracts. In fact, they are less likely to own a real home, but rather an RV and they don't pay nearly the property taxes -- though I suppose they chip in on the sales tax.

They provide most of the jobs to the poorest counties in the state (along the Mexican border). But I figure the days of snowbirds coming are numbered since most of us are going to have to work until we drop in our tracks.
I think the average snowbird age here is about 93 so they should all be droppin soon enough anyway. God only knows what the Buick salesmen are going to do down here then
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Your the expert on UK culture, you tell me.
Don't think I ever claimed that..... But, of course you seem to know all about US culture. Have you travelled and lived extensively in the US for years? Or does your know it all attitude suffice?

Anyway, carry on, I can sit back and have a good laugh in the privacy of my own home. I don't need to post about it.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this ones rolled on a bit!

All I was saying in the first place really was that in a country where many folk pride themselves on their hospitality, it all gones a bit Pete Tong in restaurants where it seems to be the accepted practice by many to leave your manners at the door, and pick them up on the way out again!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

All I was saying in the first place really was that in a country where many folk pride themselves on their hospitality, it all gones a bit Pete Tong in restaurants where it seems to be the accepted practice by many to leave your manners at the door, and pick them up on the way out again!
heheh.. you can't fool us with your secret lingo anymore.. we've cracked you now
Take my earlier advice and stop eating in chain restaurants & the problem is solved. People eating there are probably doing the best they can.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:50 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725

See what you've done?!
btw I think meauxna nailed it in one go
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:11 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Like I said in my post if you'd read it, I have never done this but my colleagues have.
Also despite the big, tiny, or average tip, no-one deserves to be treated like utter shite which is how some guests treat waitstaff.
I've seen one diner get up and start screaming "Hey you! Wheres my f--king coffee!" After it didn't arrive in 3 seconds flat, I've seen old women sneer and wave their walking sticks at staff because they don't like the view from their table and they want a different one that isn't available. I've had food spit at me, told to, "eat this f--king food myself," I've been felt up, hit on, told I have nice tits, big tits, nice hair, crappy hair, too many freckles, asked to bend down, asked if I have my own 800 number, asked why I don't have children yet, asked if I'm a lesbian, asked every 1.2 seconds if I'm Australian or Canadian, asked if they can have x,y and z for free and then usually given grief, dirty looks and a small tip if I say no. Oh and not forgetting my favorite, having someone click their fingers at you while shouting at you to come over when you're serving someone else.
Then at the end of it all, a woman, on the whole, will get less tips than a man.
As it seems you don't and have never worked in food service maybe one day your wife/sister/daughter will so you can experience all this vicariously through her.
Count to ten - calm down. I don't know how you can judge whether or not I have worked in food service. Actually I agree with you that nobody should be treated in the ways you describe. Why do you work at a job you obviously hate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.