Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Roadside Beggars?

Roadside Beggars?

Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roadside Beggars?

Originally Posted by tony126
I have and the point you are making is?? I thought it sounded familiar and then I notice the item is about to celebrate its' 5th anniversary.
What people have to be aware of also is when you are filling up with petrol and someone knocks your window waving a $5 note saying you have dropped it. This is a ruse being used for you to open your door/window with unfortunate consequences. The amount of charity work done locally for the homeless and out of work is really staggering. Nobody need go without.
The article is rather old, but it was one in my files that seemed relevant and was close to hand. The relevancy is to the snippet of the comments from Englishmum. And if you don’t get it after reading this and the linked article, I’m afraid you probably never will.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I've helped out at soup kitchens, and most of the folk there are either addicts, alchololics, or have mental problems.

Some have just gone through tough times. Lost job, followed by wife, kids and house/car etc..and go through a very bad time, but eventually pull themselves up again.

Some just didn't make enough, due to prescriptions etc, to be able to feed themselves properly and would come to get a decent meal twice a week.

But I never give to the ones on the side of the road. Never give them a penny. Day labor places proliferate around. We don't have that many down here.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Roadside Beggars?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The article is rather old, but it was one in my files that seemed relevant and was close to hand. The relevancy is to the snippet of the comments from Englishmum. And if you don’t get it after reading this and the linked article, I’m afraid you probably never will.
Actually my sister-in-law is a Senior Immigration Officer and was pulled from her duties at Stansted airport to work at the govt. 'reception centre' at Oakington in Cambridgeshire when it opened and indeed still works there. The 'guests' are free to come and go as they please - it's not locked at all contrary to popular belief.....and very few of them have actually been deported.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

What people have to be aware of also is when you are filling up with petrol and someone knocks your window waving a $5 note saying you have dropped it. This is a ruse being used for you to open your door/window with unfortunate consequences.
I know this is off topic, but I must have heard a million of these stories; does anyone else think they are just that, stories?

I can't see a criminal doing this.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:33 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm as soft as shit so I do sometimes give to people that look in need, yeah probably drug addicts and alcholics but you know what, who would want to be in thier shoes? Many of these people have ended up the way they are due to circumstance and not choice.They must see me coming a mile off
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I know this is off topic, but I must have heard a million of these stories; does anyone else think they are just that, stories?

Nope, actually happened recently in Columbia, SC. My step son is a police officer that is where the warning came from.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give this guy some money.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, actually happened recently in Columbia, SC. My step son is a police officer that is where the warning came from.
I best take note of those email warnings I get then.

I just would have thought that if someone wanted to beat you and take your money they would jump you before you got into your car.

-tom
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I best take note of those email warnings I get then.

I just would have thought that if someone wanted to beat you and take your money they would jump you before you got into your car.

-tom
Before you're in your car, at least you have a chance to defend yourself (or run like shite!). May be different in truck or SUV where you're higher, but once you're in your car, sitting down, belted in with the window open its pretty difficult to defend yourself - speaking with the bitter experience of someone who had the cr@p beaten out of him by a thug with a bike chain on his fist while I was sitting at traffic lights... after the first blow broke my nose and knocked me almost senseless, I had no idea what was going on, apart from that it hurt! He didn't steal anything ( I was a student - what did I have to steal?), but I seem to remember a spate of high profile car-muggings in london a few years ago that were similar situations.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:09 am
ImHere

Similar scams occur in Britain and all over.

Remember personal safety should always be uppermost in your mind when dealing with complete strangers in particular. Always watch them and always be aware that the good samaritan may well after your wallet or purse or worse. They tend to use the note or whatever as a distraction then when you arent paying attention they strike. Never ever take your eye off someone who you dont know who is attempting to close your personal space.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The 'guests' are free to come and go as they please - it's not locked at all contrary to popular belief.....and very few of them have actually been deported.
Popular belief and reality are very, very distant cousins on this favourite UK topic.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

This is slightly off topic but is related.
I can recall 100's of occasions during my last years in the UK when I would be heading back to Calais from wherever in Europe. I would always see future asylum seekers walking along the A16 "Corridor" from Belgium right up to the port itself.
I have seen them also walking around the truck parking area in Calais trying to get in and hide in trailors. I've seen them being pulled out of trailors in Dover by UK officials. On one occasion one of my drivers threw 6 asylum seekers out of his trailor at Clacket Lane service station on the M25. In all I would say that I have seen 1000's of asylum seekers on their way to blighty and they pretty much all have one thing in common.
They are nearly ALWAYS males between 18 and 40 years old. I'm not saying that none are female, obviously there are females but I can honestly say 100% truthfully that I have never seen any females doing the Calais truck thing.
Surely if things were so bad wherever they come from they would bring their wives, kids and mothers with them? Unless of course they are purely "economic" migrants???
I've got nothing against anyone trying another country for a better life, obviously I am doing that now myself. However, there's a right way and a wrong way and I would definately take my nearest and dearest with me.