Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
I was planning this trip for July but I keep reading that it can be very cold in San Francisco in July. Maybe I should go sooner than that or later.
It can be cold in July. It can also be gorgeous. It's more about what the weather decides to do that week rather than which month you go. That said, the best month for weather in San Francisco is usually September. The rains haven't begun and the fog has usually left for the season.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/san...Chg=1&metric=0
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:42 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to do North Central Washington to San Francisco on my 1250 Suzuki Bandit (its a motorbike) in May

The direct route via Yakima is only 800 miles - I looked at the coast road but it's more like 1100+ & most of it seems 20 miles from the coast so I thought I would get some serious knee down in California instead

Every time I go to CA its cold and raining but I have gear that stayed warm when I crossed the alps to NICE from Switzerland. It was raining and cold in the South of France too (last week in June)

Need to find motels where the bandidos wont lift my wheels

I shall use my radio shack cloaking device to protect me from Police spotter planes
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We have 2-3 weeks, time is not critical. We were thinking about taking the most direct route down to The City and staying about five days, then visiting lots of other places on the way back. If we drive back along the coast we won't be on the ocean side of the road so that might not be so enjoyable.

We are very much into natural beauty and wilderness but not much into shopping etc.
2-3 weeks? There and back? 5 days in 'The City' and 4 days driving if you just go directly. Doesn't leave alot of change or am I misunderstanding?

Marin Headlands up to Point Reyes is super nice. Take a diversion up to the top of Mount Tamalpais if it's a relatively clear day for a brilliant alternate view of the Bay.
If you stop near Fort Bragg, Sharon by the Sea is great for supper and is walking distance from the hotel on the north side of harbour whose name escapes me right now but has whirlpool tubs with sea views :-)
If you're a gourmet and want a treat Applewood Inn in Guerneville is a tad pricey but very worth it.

Have fun.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:56 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I am going to do North Central Washington to San Francisco on my 1250 Suzuki Bandit (its a motorbike) in May

The direct route via Yakima is only 800 miles - I looked at the coast road but it's more like 1100+ & most of it seems 20 miles from the coast so I thought I would get some serious knee down in California instead

Every time I go to CA its cold and raining but I have gear that stayed warm when I crossed the alps to NICE from Switzerland. It was raining and cold in the South of France too (last week in June)

Need to find motels where the bandidos wont lift my wheels

I shall use my radio shack cloaking device to protect me from Police spotter planes
Sounds like fun. Do you pre-book motels or just stop where one takes your fancy?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:08 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like fun. Do you pre-book motels or just stop where one takes your fancy?
Think I will pre book the first night as that will be the longest leg...after that I will be in CA on the freeway and I reckon I can stop anywhere really

Yes I am really looking fwd to it

Cars are good but riding a nice big quiet sophisticated bike on a bendy coast road is indescribably good

got my new camera and tripod so i can photo myself against the golden gate bridge before going to carmel (If clint lets bikes in the town)
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning this trip for July but I keep reading that it can be very cold in San Francisco in July. Maybe I should go sooner than that or later.
Ah. The Mark Twain quote will live forever. I lived there while in Law School - the western parts of the City on the Coast get foggy -- it burns away late and comes in early. SF is delightful in July.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Ah. The Mark Twain quote will live forever. I lived there while in Law School - the western parts of the City on the Coast get foggy -- it burns away late and comes in early. SF is delightful in July.
Are you a Hastings alum?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by notacrime
Are you a Hastings alum?

had to google that :

Alum, (IPA: /ˈæləm/) refers to a specific chemical compound and a class of chemical compounds. The specific compound is the hydrated aluminum potassium sulfate with the formula KAl(SO4)2.12H2O. The wider class of compounds known as alums have the related stoichiometry, AB(SO4)2.12H2O

I guess he is just a 'complicated ' guy...
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

had to google that :

Alum, (IPA: /ˈæləm/) refers to a specific chemical compound and a class of chemical compounds. The specific compound is the hydrated aluminum potassium sulfate with the formula KAl(SO4)2.12H2O. The wider class of compounds known as alums have the related stoichiometry, AB(SO4)2.12H2O

I guess he is just a 'complicated ' guy...
try 'alumni'
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Englishtart
try 'alumni'
oh right - I thought that was a light bulb

as in 'I might be overweight but stop calling me an alumni'

The Romans didnt even have a word for 'alumni' - they called em students
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:55 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

oh right - I thought that was a light bulb

as in 'I might be overweight but stop calling me an alumni'

The Romans didnt even have a word for 'alumni' - they called em students
At the school I went to we were called "rabble"
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
Are you a Hastings alum?

See page 51 of http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/dcp/...ni_2009spring/ on the "non-trivial pursuit"
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:39 pm
Banned

At the school I went to we were called "rabble"
a teacher called a girl in my class a 'guttersnipe'

then the girl squirted blue fountain pen ink down the back of the teachers white blouse as she passed and she never noticed

excellent

a very 'alluminating' schooling
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
See page 51 of http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/dcp/...ni_2009spring/ on the "non-trivial pursuit"
I like the pic. New avatar time?

PS: I thought you have 2 daughters?

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 22nd 2009 at 6:06 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:58 pm
riding the saltchuck

a teacher called a girl in my class a 'guttersnipe'

then the girl squirted blue fountain pen ink down the back of the teachers white blouse as she passed and she never noticed

excellent

a very 'alluminating' schooling
I can think of a few teachers who deserved similar treatment. One of them had a very accurate aim when throwing a blackboard rubber and caused quite a few facial bruises. It's hard to believe nowadays that such abuse could happen.

I'm surprised I turned out so well really

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.