Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:14 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Does anyone have any suggestions for unmissable places to see along the way?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip - Vancouver to San Francisco

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket View Post
The opportunity to view so many varieties of roadkill?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:58 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin View Post
The opportunity to view so many varieties of roadkill?

I always think it's such a shame that moderators cannot be put on ignore lists.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to add myself to your list, but this was covered very recently.. last week even? Maybe a search on "road trip".. the RV threads lately have had good suggestions too.

I'll put in for the Oregon Coast; it seems to impress everyone.
Toot on your way thru!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:45 am
riding the saltchuck

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
Not trying to add myself to your list, but this was covered very recently.. last week even? Maybe a search on "road trip".. the RV threads lately have had good suggestions too.

Toot on your way thru!
Thanks, I did do a search but didn't find the thread you are referring to. Will take another look.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

How much time? Once across the border, you have to figure out whether you will take I-5 south or US 101 south -- and crossing back and forth may not be all that easy at most points. They are quite different and it depends upon what you want to see.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a bit of time to head off the regular trail then I'd recommend Lassen natl park, that's if the roads are open by the time you head down. It's an amazing place. http://www.nps.gov/lavo/

Less off the trail would be the Trinity alps. If you find yourself on I5 as you cross the border from OR to CA then head down route 3 from Yreka, through the magnificently named Cheeseville, and then pick up 299 towards Arcata on the coast. If you have more time then you could do a massive loop from Yreka on route 96 to Happy Camp, down to Willow Creek and then either back through Weaverville on 299 to rejoin I5 at Redding, or head coastward to Arcata, check out the hippies and head south on 101.

Joining route 1 at Fort Bragg and heading down the Mendocino coast would also make for a great detour. From there you can head along route 128 and through the Anderson Valley and have a meal or stay at the wonderful Boonville hotel (where I married my lovely wife - say hi to Elaine and Johnny.) The Anderson Valley is really beautiful, and they have great wines (check out Lazy Creek and Esterlina if you have a chance) and great beers at the Anderson Valley brewing co.

If you are in to the wine thing then you could do worse than follow 128 south, crossing over 101, and down through Calistoga in to the napa valley. Or stick to the Sonoma valley for some slightly less corporate wine tasting. Healdsburg is also worth a visit, and if you have the $$ stay a night at the Hotel Healdsburg.

So that's Northern California! It's a really beautiful part of the world, unless you are driving it on I5 in which case it's boring and ugly.

Have fun!

P.S. good work calling your destination city by it's correct name, none of this 'frisco or 'san fran' nonsense that people seem to think is cute.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post

Toot on your way thru!
I'll put in a plug for the Oregon Coast, especially the part from Coos Bay south to the California border...ditto for the Redwoods NP...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Oregon coast road is awesome! We did just a part of it a few years ago, wish we'd had the time to have done more. Definitely check out the stinky Sealion Caves, and spend a night in Cannon Beach.
Naomi.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

If you are a fan of The Goonies like me, then you have to go to Astoria, Oregon. I've done this trip from seattle to San Francisco and there are so many great places. Off the top of my head i'd recommend: Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Actually scrub Mt St Helens. I've just remembered that although it's quite cool, it was quite an effort to get there and afterwards i wondered if it was worth it. The are so many other great places in the NW.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by orangemirror View Post
If you are a fan of The Goonies like me, then you have to go to Astoria, Oregon. I've done this trip from seattle to San Francisco and there are so many great places. Off the top of my head i'd recommend: Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens.
How could I forget Crater Lake..one of the highlights of our holiday last summer

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/pres...-818_1394.html

If you have an inkling towards the off beat and there is an inner hippy just dying to be free check out the Saturday market in Eugene or this tree house hotel near the Oregon Caves NM.

http://www.treehouses.com/
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:54 pm
riding the saltchuck

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla View Post
Hi:

How much time? Once across the border, you have to figure out whether you will take I-5 south or US 101 south -- and crossing back and forth may not be all that easy at most points. They are quite different and it depends upon what you want to see.
We have 2-3 weeks, time is not critical. We were thinking about taking the most direct route down to The City and staying about five days, then visiting lots of other places on the way back. If we drive back along the coast we won't be on the ocean side of the road so that might not be so enjoyable.

We are very much into natural beauty and wilderness but not much into shopping etc.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:58 pm
riding the saltchuck

Originally Posted by notacrime View Post
If you have a bit of time to head off the regular trail then I'd recommend Lassen natl park, that's if the roads are open by the time you head down. It's an amazing place. http://www.nps.gov/lavo/

Less off the trail would be the Trinity alps. If you find yourself on I5 as you cross the border from OR to CA then head down route 3 from Yreka, through the magnificently named Cheeseville, and then pick up 299 towards Arcata on the coast. If you have more time then you could do a massive loop from Yreka on route 96 to Happy Camp, down to Willow Creek and then either back through Weaverville on 299 to rejoin I5 at Redding, or head coastward to Arcata, check out the hippies and head south on 101.

Joining route 1 at Fort Bragg and heading down the Mendocino coast would also make for a great detour. From there you can head along route 128 and through the Anderson Valley and have a meal or stay at the wonderful Boonville hotel (where I married my lovely wife - say hi to Elaine and Johnny.) The Anderson Valley is really beautiful, and they have great wines (check out Lazy Creek and Esterlina if you have a chance) and great beers at the Anderson Valley brewing co.

If you are in to the wine thing then you could do worse than follow 128 south, crossing over 101, and down through Calistoga in to the napa valley. Or stick to the Sonoma valley for some slightly less corporate wine tasting. Healdsburg is also worth a visit, and if you have the $$ stay a night at the Hotel Healdsburg.

So that's Northern California! It's a really beautiful part of the world, unless you are driving it on I5 in which case it's boring and ugly.

Have fun!

P.S. good work calling your destination city by it's correct name, none of this 'frisco or 'san fran' nonsense that people seem to think is cute.
Lassen looks terrific. I'm researching your other suggestions too, thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:01 pm
riding the saltchuck

I was planning this trip for July but I keep reading that it can be very cold in San Francisco in July. Maybe I should go sooner than that or later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.