Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip questions - SE

Road trip questions - SE

Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:45 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip questions - SE

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We've not been anywhere between Maryland and Florida - all virgin territory for us. Charleston and Savannah are 2 cities on my list to research, but we may only have time for one of them this trip.
SAVANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Someone is just leaving to get away from the heat,humidity, mosquitoes and the excessive scare mongers warning about "the tropics flaring"...oh yeah, I've got your game buddy

Psssstttttt.....can we tag along
Hey, you gotta admit, this summer has been pretty pleasant so far....cooling off nicely at night, and not even got any mossies to talk of.....happy so far!!

And as for the tagging along - no problem - I rarely turn down free babysitters
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
SAVANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, we're almost halfway between Charleston and Jville.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, you gotta admit, this summer has been pretty pleasant so far....cooling off nicely at night, and not even got any mossies to talk of.....happy so far!!

And as for the tagging along - no problem - I rarely turn down free babysitters
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, you gotta admit, this summer has been pretty pleasant so far

I beg to differ - Today, I've been sweating like a Pregnant Nun in front of Mother Superior...........

Jim.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I beg to differ - Today, I've been sweating like a Pregnant Nun in front of Mother Superior...........

Jim.
Yes but we sweat like that most of the year, it's just not been so full on every single day this year....but still hot enough to have, as my husband always tells me "betty swollocks"
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:49 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.

But hey, I'm sitting outside, theres a pleasant breeze blowing, the thermometer is below 80, not a whiney mossie in earshot, and my beer stays cool long enough to drink it. I even had to turn off the ceiling fan cos I was feeling chilly. Life is good
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes but we sweat like that most of the year, it's just not been so full on every single day this year....but still hot enough to have, as my husband always tells me "betty swollocks"
That rain was nice last night as well - cooled the pool down to the low 80's - cool enough for even the bettiest swollocks!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

If I-10 and Pensacola is on your loop, then Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum is well worth a visit (if you or the kids are into military aircraft of course). It is an amazing museum, and the number of aircraft is astounding.

It's free of charge, and you'll need ID to enter Pensacola NAS (you will be going on to an active naval installation), but it's well worth a visit. The guided tour is free iirc, and so worth it. They are a really nice bunch down there.

If you want a freebie Blue Angels show, you'll need to look it up and be an early bird on base, but the practice shows are free of charge as well. Rock up to the museum and you'll be driven to the airstrip. Training is Tuesday and Wednesday, one is the high level training and one is low level stuff, can't remember which day is which though. But it is great fun though.

One bit of advice, don't speed on base as it's a Federal speeding ticket. And they do ticket!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:07 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by tinman0
If I-10 and Pensacola is on your loop, then Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum is well worth a visit (if you or the kids are into military aircraft of course). It is an amazing museum, and the number of aircraft is astounding.

It's free of charge, and you'll need ID to enter Pensacola NAS (you will be going on to an active naval installation), but it's well worth a visit. The guided tour is free iirc, and so worth it. They are a really nice bunch down there.

If you want a freebie Blue Angels show, you'll need to look it up and be an early bird on base, but the practice shows are free of charge as well. Rock up to the museum and you'll be driven to the airstrip. Training is Tuesday and Wednesday, one is the high level training and one is low level stuff, can't remember which day is which though. But it is great fun though.

One bit of advice, don't speed on base as it's a Federal speeding ticket. And they do ticket!
AND I think it's still there, the Oyster Bar on Navy Blvd that has that great homemade dressing in the ketchup bottles!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:21 am

A comment on an earlier thread reminded me to follow up on this one....

Thanks for all the suggestions. We set off as intended, through Arkansas, and Tennessee and had a great time. I've revised my previous view of Memphis - it used to rank as one of the few cities that made me glad to be in Houston, but this time round, we had a blast. And just off the interstate on the way up to Nashville we chanced upon the Casey Jones railroad museum. Interesting, but more notable was the best meal of our trip - a southern buffet in the restaurant opposite - it looked like the inspiration for the original Cracker Barrel, but the food was fantastic, and the kids loved the fact that they paid by age - 50 cents per year under 12! We loved Nashville too. Then we got to the Smokey Mountains and kinda got stuck. Had a great time hiking, biking, rafting, enjoying the park. Very glad we didn't stay in Pigeon Forge (thank you whoever said that) and found a nice quiet site just the other side of Gatlinburg. We overstayed there, so Washington was off the cards, and we headed east a bit then south through Georgia, then Alabama to the Florida coast. Hit Atlanta and a bunch of nice small towns, but the only real mentionable unexpected "sight" was the Tuskegee Airman museum on the way which was interesting - not big, and not a destination in itself, but well worth a couple of hours if you're passing. The Pensacola Air Museum was incredible. One day was not enough - we will be back - thanks for that rec tinman. Bypassed New Orleans on the way, and biefly hit Baton Rouge instead - surprisingly good.

Cindy, I know we missed your part of the world, but don't take it too hard - its on the list still....maybe next year....on the way to Washington

Thanks all for the comments - I'll be back for more brainpicking in a few months....
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:28 am
Sursum corda

A comment on an earlier thread reminded me to follow up on this one....

Thanks for all the suggestions. We set off as intended, through Arkansas, and Tennessee and had a great time. I've revised my previous view of Memphis - it used to rank as one of the few cities that made me glad to be in Houston, but this time round, we had a blast. And just off the interstate on the way up to Nashville we chanced upon the Casey Jones railroad museum. Interesting, but more notable was the best meal of our trip - a southern buffet in the restaurant opposite - it looked like the inspiration for the original Cracker Barrel, but the food was fantastic, and the kids loved the fact that they paid by age - 50 cents per year under 12! We loved Nashville too. Then we got to the Smokey Mountains and kinda got stuck. Had a great time hiking, biking, rafting, enjoying the park. Very glad we didn't stay in Pigeon Forge (thank you whoever said that) and found a nice quiet site just the other side of Gatlinburg. We overstayed there, so Washington was off the cards, and we headed east a bit then south through Georgia, then Alabama to the Florida coast. Hit Atlanta and a bunch of nice small towns, but the only real mentionable unexpected "sight" was the Tuskegee Airman museum on the way which was interesting - not big, and not a destination in itself, but well worth a couple of hours if you're passing. The Pensacola Air Museum was incredible. One day was not enough - we will be back - thanks for that rec tinman. Bypassed New Orleans on the way, and biefly hit Baton Rouge instead - surprisingly good.

Cindy, I know we missed your part of the world, but don't take it too hard - its on the list still....maybe next year....on the way to Washington

Thanks all for the comments - I'll be back for more brainpicking in a few months....
I'll let you off this time. We're about 10 1/2 hours from DC.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'll let you off this time. We're about 10 1/2 hours from DC.
I was talking about ..... SAVANNAH!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

If you can visit only one (Savannah or Charleston), make it Charleston. It is such a beautiful and interesting city. Plus, while in Jacksonville, carry on south for half an hour and visit St. Augustine. USA's oldest settled city. Well worth a day out.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:39 pm
Sursum corda

I was talking about ..... SAVANNAH!
I know and I work in SAVANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.