Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip questions - SE

Road trip questions - SE

Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip questions - SE

I'm looking at a 3-4 week trailer trip with the kids (7, 9, 11) heading off after July 4th.

Chattanooga TN needs to be on the way "out" and Washington DC is the tentative endpoint, so I'm looking at making a loop roughly Houston - New Orleans - Chattanooga - Washington - down the coast to Jacksonville then west back home.

Once we turn left at New Orleans until when we get down to Florida it is all new territory for us, so the question is, does anyone have any "must see's" along that route. Can't go through state X without visiting Y, Got to eat at such and such etc. The kids like outdoors stuff (walking, biking, fishing, exploring, beaches) as well as "city" stuff (museums, historical sites etc).

I put a similar thread up earlier in the year about the Pittsburgh aread and got some great recommendations, so hoping you guys can come thru again!

Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip questions - SE

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm looking at a 3-4 week trailer trip with the kids (7, 9, 11) heading off after July 4th.

Chattanooga TN needs to be on the way "out" and Washington DC is the tentative endpoint, so I'm looking at making a loop roughly Houston - New Orleans - Chattanooga - Washington - down the coast to Jacksonville then west back home.

Once we turn left at New Orleans until when we get down to Florida it is all new territory for us, so the question is, does anyone have any "must see's" along that route. Can't go through state X without visiting Y, Got to eat at such and such etc. The kids like outdoors stuff (walking, biking, fishing, exploring, beaches) as well as "city" stuff (museums, historical sites etc).

I put a similar thread up earlier in the year about the Pittsburgh aread and got some great recommendations, so hoping you guys can come thru again!

Thanks

You won't be taking a Trailer into DC. Look for somewhere in VA. That's going to be your closest point.

Jim.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we don't actually get too close in to many cities when we go - normally find somewhere outside within "commuting" distance. Got my eye on a place in the middle of the triangle formed by Washington/Annapolis/Baltimore
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on the coastal route after NO? If so, then you will be going through Mississippi and either up state from there to TN or into Alabama and up to TN. The coastal route in MS is lovely especially now that much of it has been cleaned up and rebuilt after Katrina. You can go through Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Long Beach (my son-in-law's property is directly across from the beach) and into Biloxi/Gulfport. Good family type restaurants along the way with po'boys and seafood. I know there is a museum along that route in either Gulfport or Long Beach that was the summer home of Jackson. If you go north in MS, you can go up through Vicksburg and Natchez which are historic towns. You can look here for things to do and see along the coastal route. http://www.gulfcoast.org/visitors/history/
Old Jun 19th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

From Chattanooga on 75 takes you into our backyard and the most visited National Park in the country, Great Smoky Mountain NP. There, the kids will have all the walking, biking, fishing and exploring they can handle. I would head for Townsend to set up basecamp as this is the "quiet side" of the Smokies compared to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is worth a visit but unless the kids want to experience the Dollywood theme park or Splash Country, I would avoid PF as it is a mass of tacky souvenir shops and outlet malls on a six lane highway.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_S..._National_Park
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
From Chattanooga on 75 takes you into our backyard and the most visited National Park in the country, Great Smoky Mountain NP. There, the kids will have all the walking, biking, fishing and exploring they can handle. I would head for Townsend to set up basecamp as this is the "quiet side" of the Smokies compared to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is worth a visit but unless the kids want to experience the Dollywood theme park or Splash Country, I would avoid PF as it is a mass of tacky souvenir shops and outlet malls on a six lane highway.

+1. While you are in Chattanooga, I would suggest Rock City, Tennessee Acquarium and the Hunter Museum of Art. There are others, but I expect your time will be limited, and the above should interest you and your offsprings.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:42 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you stopping in NOLA or just passing through? Can't help with the rest but am very well aquainted with the eateries of New Orleans having spent a considerable amount of time there!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you planning on the coastal route after NO? If so, then you will be going through Mississippi and either up state from there to TN or into Alabama and up to TN. The coastal route in MS is lovely especially now that much of it has been cleaned up and rebuilt after Katrina. You can go through Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Long Beach (my son-in-law's property is directly across from the beach) and into Biloxi/Gulfport. Good family type restaurants along the way with po'boys and seafood. I know there is a museum along that route in either Gulfport or Long Beach that was the summer home of Jackson. If you go north in MS, you can go up through Vicksburg and Natchez which are historic towns. You can look here for things to do and see along the coastal route. http://www.gulfcoast.org/visitors/history/
Thanks Rete.
On the way out, I'm thinking of pretty much heading straight up I-59 from New Orleans to Chattagnooga, unless anyone has any "must see" deviations. On the way back, we'll be coming along the Gulf coast - we've done that one a few times, so have a pretty good idea of where we want to go, but always open to new places, so thanks for the tips!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn

Thanks - just the sort of info I was after

Having done Dolly Partons Dixie Stampede in Branson MO last year, I think I've had enough Dolly for a lifetime....PF is off the list!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Redwing
+1. While you are in Chattanooga, I would suggest Rock City, Tennessee Acquarium and the Hunter Museum of Art. There are others, but I expect your time will be limited, and the above should interest you and your offsprings.
Cheers - will check those out.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bink
Are you stopping in NOLA or just passing through? Can't help with the rest but am very well aquainted with the eateries of New Orleans having spent a considerable amount of time there!
Probably have a day in New Orleans just to break the journey - kids have been before, albeit a few years back and they can't remember much. But I always* have more fun when there when its just the adults....

*Notice the way I said "always" like we're jetsetters that do it every other weekend...? Well, there's not a lot of jetsetting these days....the last time we were there sans kids was for my wifes 40th and that was more years ago than she'd allow me to mention.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:36 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Probably have a day in New Orleans just to break the journey - kids have been before, albeit a few years back and they can't remember much. But I always* have more fun when there when its just the adults....

*Notice the way I said "always" like we're jetsetters that do it every other weekend...? Well, there's not a lot of jetsetting these days....the last time we were there sans kids was for my wifes 40th and that was more years ago than she'd allow me to mention.
It's definitely more leaned towards adults than children...

If you're looking for somewhere kid friendly for lunch I always liked the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen (French Market Place @ Esplanade). I'm a big fan of their fresh stone cooked pizza. There's a ton of excellent seafood places too, it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for really. I've spent several long stints there living out of hotels on expenses (2-3 months at a time) and so have eaten pretty much everywhere in the city...
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we don't actually get too close in to many cities when we go - normally find somewhere outside within "commuting" distance. Got my eye on a place in the middle of the triangle formed by Washington/Annapolis/Baltimore
Annapolis is a great place in its own right. Visit the Naval Academy, walk along the waterfront, shop in the 'old town', etc. Not that far from DC (there are commuter buses to the city if you want to head in).

I was also going to recommend Charleston, SC. Have you been there?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:30 am

We've not been anywhere between Maryland and Florida - all virgin territory for us. Charleston and Savannah are 2 cities on my list to research, but we may only have time for one of them this trip.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We've not been anywhere between Maryland and Florida - all virgin territory for us. Charleston and Savannah are 2 cities on my list to research, but we may only have time for one of them this trip.
Someone is just leaving to get away from the heat,humidity, mosquitoes and the excessive scare mongers warning about "the tropics flaring"...oh yeah, I've got your game buddy

Psssstttttt.....can we tag along

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.