Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip: LA to ?????????

Road trip: LA to ?????????

Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:22 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip: LA to ?????????

there isn't much to say about CO which hasn't already been mentioned.
The autumn in the rockies is something else though with the aspens changing and all. I personally think the Spring and Autumn are the best times here.

WY & Montana are amazing in their own right; Jackson Hole, The Tetons and Yellowstone.. 'nuff said. Montana has great fly fishing and the prairie landscapes are truly something else....they don't call it Big Sky Country for nothing. When I was around that neck of the woods, we ventured west to Seattle but detoured north and went to Glacier National Park.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Road trip: LA to ?????????

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Okay I got laid off 6 weeks ago as many know. I used the first 4 weeks as a 'staycation' seeing as my older son was off school. He has now started kindergarden and I am bleeding bored. I've applied for about 40 jobs, heard nothing and even called old contacts from management at old companies, two of which are no longer with their companies as they have also been downsized.
So I'm thinking about hopping in my car ( Norman Tebbitt style, but the US is too big for a bike) and just seeing what's out there?!?!?!
I've travelled a fair bit from Mexico all the way up the coast to Seattle, mostly by train through OR and WA. I'm somewhat familiar with Nevada, doesn't hold much appeal and I've been to Vegas at least 15 times. I don't really fancy AZ, it's too hot and I've already been to the Grand Canyon.
I fancy heading towards Montana or Denver, CO, maybe down towards New Mexico. I wouldn't go to the east coast as it's too far. So my question is if you were going to take a roadtrip from Los Angeles would it be Montana, New Mexico, Denver or somewhere else?
Suggestions within a thousand miles or less.
Hi:

My late brother would take a lot of road trips -- always less than two weeks. They once drove to Mount Rushmore in the Badlands and came back -- and a lot of it on old US Highways and off the InterState. [We once drove to a wedding in San Jose and at Bakersfield we decided to drive up BETWEEN US-99 and I-5. The farm roads are straight and empty and the small towns are fascinating -- a part of California I had never seen -- remember having an excellent Basque lunch in Firebaugh.

I've always wanted to drive West of I-5 into the Chorizo Plain.

I know my brother wanted to visit the Trinity Site in New Mexico, but it is opened for only two days ever year. I just looked it up -- it will be open on October 4th!