Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Road trip: LA to ?????????

Road trip: LA to ?????????

Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:02 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip: LA to ?????????

Okay I got laid off 6 weeks ago as many know. I used the first 4 weeks as a 'staycation' seeing as my older son was off school. He has now started kindergarden and I am bleeding bored. I've applied for about 40 jobs, heard nothing and even called old contacts from management at old companies, two of which are no longer with their companies as they have also been downsized.
So I'm thinking about hopping in my car ( Norman Tebbitt style, but the US is too big for a bike) and just seeing what's out there?!?!?!
I've travelled a fair bit from Mexico all the way up the coast to Seattle, mostly by train through OR and WA. I'm somewhat familiar with Nevada, doesn't hold much appeal and I've been to Vegas at least 15 times. I don't really fancy AZ, it's too hot and I've already been to the Grand Canyon.
I fancy heading towards Montana or Denver, CO, maybe down towards New Mexico. I wouldn't go to the east coast as it's too far. So my question is if you were going to take a roadtrip from Los Angeles would it be Montana, New Mexico, Denver or somewhere else?
Suggestions within a thousand miles or less.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 4th 2008 at 5:09 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:06 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Road trip: LA to ?????????

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Okay I got laid off 6 weeks ago as many know. I used the first 4 weeks as a 'staycation' seeing as my older son was off school. He has now started kindergarden and I am bleeding bored. I've applied for about 40 jobs, heard nothing and even called old contacts from management at old companies, two of which are no longer with their companies as they have also been downsized.
So I'm thinking about hopping in my car ( Norman Tebbitt style, but the US is too big for a bike) and just seeing what's out there?!?!?!
I've been from Mexico all the way up the coast to Seattle and am somewhat familiar with Nevada. I don't really fancy AZ, it's too hot and I've already been to the Grand Canyon.
I fancy heading towards Montana or Denver, CO, maybe down towards New Mexico. I wouldn't go to the east coast as it's too far. So my question is if you were going to take a roadtrip would it be Montana, New Mexico, Denver or somewhere else?
I have just got back from Estes Park, CO (near Denver) and it was amazing, AMAZING. Happy to send you a few pics of the Rockies if you message me your email, good wildlife viewing too.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:24 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really fancy AZ, it's too hot and I've already been to the Grand Canyon.
But there's more to AZ than the grand canyon - for my birthday trip there a couple of months ago we concentrated on the northeast corner of the state and did Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly National Monument and Navajo National Monument. The good thing about that area is the altitude (6000' or so) cuts the temperature down noticeably - we were there at the end of June and it was fairly pleasant. Would have loved to stay for several weeks more and done Mesa Verde National Park (just love those Anasazi ruins), Natural Bridges National Monument and done the hike to Rainbow Bridge near Lake Powell.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:30 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado is amazing. I can also vouch for Estes Park as being a great spot to visit. Downtown Denver is also nice, as is Boulder. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is also a sight to see. If you can time it to where there's a concert at red Rocks, then do that too - unique experience (unless you go to more than one concert of course )
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:38 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I have just got back from Estes Park, CO (near Denver) and it was amazing, AMAZING. Happy to send you a few pics of the Rockies if you message me your email, good wildlife viewing too.
Originally Posted by elfman
But there's more to AZ than the grand canyon - for my birthday trip there a couple of months ago we concentrated on the northeast corner of the state and did Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly National Monument and Navajo National Monument. The good thing about that area is the altitude (6000' or so) cuts the temperature down noticeably - we were there at the end of June and it was fairly pleasant. Would have loved to stay for several weeks more and done Mesa Verde National Park (just love those Anasazi ruins), Natural Bridges National Monument and done the hike to Rainbow Bridge near Lake Powell.
Originally Posted by Titchski
Colorado is amazing. I can also vouch for Estes Park as being a great spot to visit. Downtown Denver is also nice, as is Boulder. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is also a sight to see. If you can time it to where there's a concert at red Rocks, then do that too - unique experience (unless you go to more than one concert of course )
Thanks for the replies so far but I'm looking for more of a medium to large town area not just a vacation and sightseeing, just trying to see what else is out there as far as relocation possibilities. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
I've even offered my soccer coaching skills to my kids school as I got a coaching license and have never used it

* I reserve the right to just waste everyone's time out of sheer boredom and actually not even do a roadtrip.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:42 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far but I'm looking for more of a medium to large town area not just a vacation and sightseeing, just trying to see what else is out there as far as relocation possibilities. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
I've even offered my soccer coaching skills to my kids school as I got a coaching license and have never used it

* I reserve the right to just waste everyone's time out of sheer boredom and actually not even do a roadtrip.
Colorado is probably a good bet...Denver or Colorado Springs.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

a bit out of the ballpark - but my parents have just come back from Calgary in Canada saying how impressed they were with it - and how they were a fast growing city with lots of job opportunities there at the moment.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Did you drive up the Pacific Coast Highway? Plenty to see there. Not sure about the work opportunities.

Portland? Never been myself but it seems a big enough town it might have some jobs.

Colorado Springs would be an interesting trip. See if you can get out there for a home football game at the Air Force Academy.

Salt Lake City? Park City Utah?

Go a bit further to say Austin Texas? That might be interesting.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:28 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

I've travelled a fair bit from Mexico all the way up the coast to Seattle, mostly by train through OR and WA. I'm somewhat familiar with Nevada, doesn't hold much appeal and I've been to Vegas at least 15 times. I don't really fancy AZ, it's too hot and I've already been to the Grand Canyon.
I fancy heading towards Montana or Denver, CO, maybe down towards New Mexico. I wouldn't go to the east coast as it's too far. So my question is if you were going to take a roadtrip from Los Angeles would it be Montana, New Mexico, Denver or somewhere else?
You will not regret the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone if the opportunity allows.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:12 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
I live in AZ an have been for 5 years, we are still getting around all the things to do and places to see. Next on my list are the wonderful caves at Kartchner Caverns State Park. The Big Room is opening soon on Oct 15th for just a few months, can't wait.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
You will not regret the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone if the opportunity allows.
seconded.

montana and northern Wyoming are excellent.
Attached Thumbnails Road trip: LA to ?????????-037.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to keep in mind, and I realize your plans are very tentative at the moment, but winter comes pretty early in those parts and driving can be an adventure.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought how about heading up my way to northern cali
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice

or come south and see us - im sure Samba ould love to show you the way us british wives of Orange County spend our days
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:42 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Octang Frye lives in Denver. You should go there and look him up. I'm sure he'd buy you a beer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.