Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

RFID 'Til the Cows Come Home

RFID 'Til the Cows Come Home

Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default RFID 'Til the Cows Come Home

"...The national ID system is going to the dogs -- and the pigs, and the sheep and the cows and the chickens.

Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns this month released a government road map that would see most farmers voluntarily tag their animals with wireless radio chips by 2008 as part of an ambitious electronic disease control system to prevent outbreaks of hoof and mouth disease and avian flu, among other things. The system will not address the spread of "mad cow" disease, as it is transmitted through feed rather than animal commingling...."

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0...l?tw=rss.index

So it seems that everything is going to get chipped at some point, so what do people think of that? For the animals and people? It's in your cars and will be passports...for the land of the free, good or a bad thing?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RFID 'Til the Cows Come Home

Originally Posted by Bob
"...The national ID system is going to the dogs -- and the pigs, and the sheep and the cows and the chickens.

Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns this month released a government road map that would see most farmers voluntarily tag their animals with wireless radio chips by 2008 as part of an ambitious electronic disease control system to prevent outbreaks of hoof and mouth disease and avian flu, among other things. The system will not address the spread of "mad cow" disease, as it is transmitted through feed rather than animal commingling...."

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0...l?tw=rss.index

So it seems that everything is going to get chipped at some point, so what do people think of that? For the animals and people? It's in your cars and will be passports...for the land of the free, good or a bad thing?
What about rodents?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Endeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura about

It's a very bad thing. They want to use the same technology in UK passports and ID cards.

I know a thing or 2 about this technology and it's bad news. People will be able to steal your "data" just by standing next to you. Remember, anything readable bu a legal chip reader is also readable by some criminal's reader.

http://www.doxpara.com/read.php/security/rfid.html
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Endeavour2
It's a very bad thing. They want to use the same technology in UK passports and ID cards.

I know a thing or 2 about this technology and it's bad news. People will be able to steal your "data" just by standing next to you. Remember, anything readable bu a legal chip reader is also readable by some criminal's reader.

Well I'm not going to get up close and personal with anyone.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

The only data an RFID chip has is a serial number. This is then linked to whatever data is on you in a central database. There is no actual data about you stored on the chip. So all a would be criminal could steal would be a serial number.

Pets are currently fitted with RFID chips in order to travel to and from the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Skimming already is a problem when one uses their credit card for transactions and one's card leaves one's sight. i.e. out of sight, the credit card can be skimmed.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that's in theory, but in reality it isn't really a problem, as AWP said, there's no real data on the chip, it's more about snoopy agencies keeping tabs on you...and it's in all new US made cars anyway, since 04 I think.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:57 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Humans are next for microchipping."A Mexican company has launched a service to implant microchips in children as an anti-kidnapping device." "VeriChip manufacturer Applied Digital Solutions said it plans to roll out the VeriKid service in other countries, including the United States, in the future." Tracking Junior With a Microchip

Sorry kids you won't be going to school one day without having your chip. Why call a register when you can just scan 'em on the way into class?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:29 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

hang on.... does that mean that next time I go through imigration, all I need to do is make moo'ing and baaah'ing noises and the guy will understand what I mean!!

Brings a whole new meaning to animal farm if you ask me lol

Wild
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:06 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
hang on.... does that mean that next time I go through imigration, all I need to do is make moo'ing and baaah'ing noises and the guy will understand what I mean!!

Brings a whole new meaning to animal farm if you ask me lol

Wild

That's too preshus!!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:46 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
What about rodents?
I think Bush would block that.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:48 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that's in theory, but in reality it isn't really a problem, as AWP said, there's no real data on the chip, it's more about snoopy agencies keeping tabs on you...and it's in all new US made cars anyway, since 04 I think.
The UK is collecting DNA data at a fair rate of knots.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by User Name
The UK is collecting DNA data at a fair rate of knots.
it's amusing that, they've gone and grabbed a whole bunch of folks that have been picked up for minor offences that because of the DNA have been tied to cases going back around 30 odd years....very Cold Case ain't it
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Endeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura aboutEndeavour2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The only data an RFID chip has is a serial number. This is then linked to whatever data is on you in a central database. There is no actual data about you stored on the chip. So all a would be criminal could steal would be a serial number.

Pets are currently fitted with RFID chips in order to travel to and from the UK.
Nope, sorry.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/20/us_passports/

RFID is a wireless barcode type technology. Just like 802.11 wireless networks it defines the communication system, not the data transported on it.

Besides, if the RFID tag contains a unique number and criminals can skim it, what makes you think that's not an issue? It's precisely the problem with SSNs already.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:33 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
it's amusing that, they've gone and grabbed a whole bunch of folks that have been picked up for minor offences that because of the DNA have been tied to cases going back around 30 odd years....very Cold Case ain't it
... very. I seem to recall a murder (might have been a rape/murder case) up in Scotland where they dug up a suspect to check if his DNA matched DNA in a "cold case". I suppose he did not commit more recent or later crimes and so his DNA was not on file. Cold/buried case indeed. On the other hand, had the suspect been cremated the cops could have searched through his former belongings (if they still existed) like old toothbrushes to get putative samples of his DNA.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 26th 2006 at 9:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.