Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retiring and receiving pension in the USA

Retiring and receiving pension in the USA

Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring and receiving pension in the USA

Originally Posted by Bob

I don't know the answers, but without the above, you'll not get very much in the way of meaningful answers.
Nice to know I wasted my time posting answers that were no use, I thought that was the whole point of BE.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Hope I can help as both my wife and I hold dual US/UK citizenship and between us we collect 4 pensions from the UK soon to be 5. A mix of both state and private.

It helps that you are both, I take that from what you have posted, dual citizens. Before I become a dual citizen my pensions were taxed in the UK. My CPA completed my US tax return by declaring that UK income and showing UK the tax I paid on that income as well. Basically it works like this in a simple form. If on that income I paid tax in the UK of the equivalent of say $1000, and in the US the same income would be taxed at $1100, I would owe the IRS $100. As to the level of tax owed to the IRS on a given income not easy to say, because the US tax system allows you to to deduct certain items from your taxable income, and depending on how much they are worth in a tax year changes by how much you claim, and how much you owe or overpaid that tax year.

Being dual citizens makes it easier. You can claim exemption from UK income tax on your pensions, if you are a US citizen living in the US. There is a form from HMRC which you need to fill out, you send that with another IRS form and fee to the IRS. The IRS send the HMRC form onto HMRC certifying you pay taxes in the US, and HMRC give you tax exemption in the UK and notify your pension providers. All my wife's and my UK pensions are paid to us without income tax being deducted. HMRC will talk you through the process if you call there office that deals with expats, or your own tax office.

If either of you receive a government service pension there are slightly different rules on where that can be taxed. If that is the case please say and I'll post that.

Depending on where you choose to live there might well be State income tax as well. For example in Oregon we have State income tax and no sales tax. In Washington State they have sales tax and no State income tax.

The big thing you need to understand and have money to pay for is health insurance. Health care costs of very high and you really need to understand the system and the costs and how you will pay. There is no popping back to the UK for NHS treatment once you leave.
Basis for a wiki article?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Morris07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Generally speaking, the UK/US tax treaty prevents double taxation... so if your pension is taxed in the UK it will not be taxed in the US. If you're also a US citizen, you must still file a US tax return... indeed, by law, you must file a US tax return each year... even if you're not living in the US.

That said, your earlier comment is somewhat curious. You say you want to "maintain our dual citizenship" which implies you are a dual UK/US citizen... but you also wrote you want to "live there as a permanent resident" which implies you are not a US citizen - as you can't be both a PR and USC at the same time. Would you please clarify?

Ian
Ian, thanks your response. We are not US citizens, but are planning to live in the USA as 'permanent residents' since our daughter is sponsoring us to come and live there as retirees. Although we will not be dependent on her financially for our day to day living, we will still come there as her sponsors.. I hope that makes sense to you.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Basis for a wiki article?

We are not yet US citizens, we are planning to move to the US as we are being sponsored by our daughter who is a citizen (married to an American citizen). We receive private UK pensions from 4 different places we have worked, but are still a bit young to receive a government pension.. But we feel we can survive on our private pensions until we reach 66, which is still a while to go.

This money we feel will help us live comfortably in the US, and we have been advised to become 'permanent residents' instead of becoming a proper US citizen to dual citizenship.

I am unsure about the US health costs for people in their 50s..., still got to investigate on that matter, but if you have any info, that will help greatly..
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think it's a problem as many people receive a pension from the UK. Your largest problem is probably going to be healthcare costs.
Can you perhaps throw a bit more light on healthcare costs? I know its all private healthcare instead of NHS, how much would it cost say for a couple in their mid-50s, with a couple of non life-threatening ailements?

I know that is a whole new minefield we will have to tackle with and costs can be high...!!! but we want to look at all options before we decide to move lock stock and barrel to the US..
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:57 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morris07
Can you perhaps throw a bit more light on healthcare costs? I know its all private healthcare instead of NHS, how much would it cost say for a couple in their mid-50s, with a couple of non life-threatening ailements?

I know that is a whole new minefield we will have to tackle with and costs can be high...!!! but we want to look at all options before we decide to move lock stock and barrel to the US..
As a UK citizen, if you become resident in the US then your UK pensions will be free of UK tax and you will just have to pay US tax on them.

Healthcare is a big issue and it depends on where you'll live as each state has different insurance schemes. If the new Obama health care bill goes through the situation will improve, but it's still very uncertain. Another worry is you mention some ailments as these might increase your costs or even prevent you from getting coverage from some companies.

Some states have mandatory health insurance. For example in MA you have to buy insurance and for a 50 year old couple you'll pay $1000 a month for a plan where you'll have a $2000 annual out of pocket maximum.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... we have been advised to become 'permanent residents' instead of becoming a proper US citizen to dual citizenship.
Since you can't even apply to become US citizens until you've been a PR for 5 years, I'm not sure how useful that advice was. You don't actually get the choice when you arrive in the US! Further, becoming a USC will not (as far as I know) affect your UK pensions.

I am unsure about the US health costs for people in their 50s...
Health care is expensive... very expensive for private individuals - yet not something you want to be without, as a single hospitalization could easily bankrupt you.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, thanks your response. We are not US citizens, but are planning to live in the USA as 'permanent residents' since our daughter is sponsoring us to come and live there as retirees. Although we will not be dependent on her financially for our day to day living, we will still come there as her sponsors.. I hope that makes sense to you.
Ouch...pension is the least of your worries then.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would consider visiting for 6 months a year.

You are actually better off if you do not have funds etc, or can at least appear that way.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
As a UK citizen, if you become resident in the US then your UK pensions will be free of UK tax and you will just have to pay US tax on them.
You do have to fill out the forms and claim the exemption from HMRC. Otherwise they get taxed in the UK as if you were living there.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:43 pm

I am unsure about the US health costs for people in their 50s..., still got to investigate on that matter, but if you have any info, that will help greatly..
Last year was a bad year for health costs for us as I needed serious surgery. So we claimed just over $30K in health costs as tax deductions.

We are in our early 60s and my wife in a high risk pool, she is diabetic. Our current medical insurance, that is just insurance, does not include deductions and co-pays, with this years premium increase has this month gone up to $16K a year. Being in your 50s it will be cheaper, but it goes up yearly and when you reach certain ages.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to pluck a random number out of the air, I'd suggest $1000 a month, each. Which could be a huge underestimate.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
We are in our early 60s and my wife in a high risk pool, she is diabetic. Our current medical insurance, that is just insurance, does not include deductions and co-pays, with this years premium increase has this month gone up to $16K a year. Being in your 50s it will be cheaper, but it goes up yearly and when you reach certain ages.
Iirc, you guys are in a better position because you will qualify for Medicare at age 65. But what about the OP? They won't ever qualify through their social security record if they don't work here, so presumably they will have to buy into Medicare. It won't be cheap and, I think, they will be stuck with buying in for the rest of their lives? Plus they've got a ten year window before Medicare eligibility where they will be at the mercy of the individual policy market. And it's not just the cost of their policy when they get here, but the risk that any significant health problem will lead to either having their premiums increased or their becoming uninsurable.

As I've said before, unless you are independently wealthy, you really really have to think through the financial consequences of moving to the US in later life because of the heathcare issue, especially if you are not going to be working.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Iirc, you guys are in a better position because you will qualify for Medicare at age 65..............................(snipped)

As I've said before, unless you are independently wealthy, you really really have to think through the financial consequences of moving to the US in later life because of the heathcare issue, especially if you are not going to be working.
You are quite right. Having to pay for medicare, if you qualify, is a big saving on private insurance, but still an ongoing drain on your resources. I know Blue Cross/Blue Shield will insure over 65s who don't qualify for medicare, but do not quote a premium publicly. You have to call and ask.

Unless you qualify for full medicare, ie the hospital part is free, and you add the others parts, medical costs need to be given hard thought depending on your financial circumstances. Not sure what qualifies as wealthy but you certainly would need a very good income if past 65 you have to pay for your own medical insurance. If you don't or will not qualify for medicare think long and very hard about moving to the US. Or at the very least come and live here but with the proviso that returning to the UK may well be the only option at a later date.